Tikka prefit

MattiG

FNG
I did the same thing with my Go Gauge and prefit barrel to check headspace. The scotch tape i used was about .002" thick. I estimated my headspace to me exactly right in the middle of the +- .010" sammi headspace spec. I think reloaders what it closer to .003" over minimum to save on brass.

Yours might be a tad long, I would send the barrel back in. Most will warranty if its out of spec. If its not out of spec your receiver should be trued up so any new barrels will be within spec.
Thanks JD. That's my next move, I think.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
I have an X-Caliber and Carbon Six.

X-Caliber makes a decent barrel for a good price. I want to say I found a good end of the year deal.

Edit, 3 shot group 147 eldx Hornady factory and the X-Caliber barrel (broken in) 100 yards

41562FD5-FCFC-4669-9B12-B84DD595B322.jpeg

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
It's probably my own lack of amateur gunsmithing skill, but I'm not getting perfect headspacing out of the box on a shouldered pre-fit for my 300WM. Bolt closing on No-Go gauge, but not with a piece of scotch tape. Torqued all the way to 75 ft/lbs.

I don't know what is right, but 35ftlbs works for me.

It's probably my own lack of amateur gunsmithing skill, but I'm not getting perfect headspacing out of the box on a shouldered pre-fit for my 300WM. Bolt closing on No-Go gauge, but not with a piece of scotch tape. Torqued all the way to 75 ft/lbs.
Is that with a tikka action, who made the prefit?
If you haven't done so already you need to measure the shoulder length of virgin and once fired brass to see how much the case is stretching.
You'll want it to be less than .010 for sure!

MattiG

FNG
Is that with a tikka action, who made the prefit?
If you haven't done so already you need to measure the shoulder length of virgin and once fired brass to see how much the case is stretching.
You'll want it to be less than .010 for sure!

Tikka action. Proof CF barrel. I have yet to fire the thing! Still waiting on the stock to get here on Friday. That said, I'd prefer to be passing the NO GO test before firing. I realize a lot of people online say it's no big deal if it passes with a piece of scotch tape, but I'd rather be too cautious than not cautious enough.

MattiG

FNG
I don't know what is right, but 35ftlbs works for me.
Yeah, 40 feels like plenty. Proof said 65-75. I'm not sure if it would make a difference to clean the threads and try again, but I may give that a go.

Tikka action. Proof CF barrel. I have yet to fire the thing! Still waiting on the stock to get here on Friday. That said, I'd prefer to be passing the NO GO test before firing. I realize a lot of people online say it's no big deal if it passes with a piece of scotch tape, but I'd rather be too cautious than not cautious enough.

I wouldn't be worried safety wise, if it's out of spec too much then it won't even fire.
I had a barrel with sloppy headspace once and I actually had light primer strikes that occasionally didn't detonate, my shoulder length increased by .010 ish.
Watch for that and you'll know if there's a problem