Tikka Scope Mount for NXS 2.5-10x42

Gila

WKR
I have 1 inch height rings. The scope is somewhat short and has 34mm tube with a 50mm bell. You want to keep the rings as far apart as possible to keep the angle for the rail. I have neck problems so I can't move up on the stock as far as most people. The murphy precision rail was a perfect fit.

rifle1F.jpg

HuntnPack

WKR
Have a local smith or machine shop machine the front lug or two down, &
the last one in the back of the rail.
this would allow you to utilize low rings.

I took to mine with the hacksaw and belt sander/sand paper. Should look good with a little aluminum black.

b0adfa872bd3e4de3457e05ee5b850b6.jpg
26c159553f678af35e1e00e1f6469563.jpg

I mounted it up with the Seekins Low (.82”) just for reference. I have a set of the Seekins Med (.87”) on the way so that will give me another .05” clearance. With the low ring there was only about .012” clearance between the bell and barrel (could fit a single index card, but not two). Not enough in my opinion.

8472d47dbf9fb8f8ad5068b6beb22566.jpg

7f03ecd54a87ff496fb3dd02dc35f1ac.jpg

Edit: this is with a NX8 2.5-20x50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, I could get a NXS compact further back with sportsmatch (limited by end of scope mounting surface where objective tapers out) than with MT pic rail (objective taper hitting pic rail). Even then, i couldn't quite get the scope back far enough towards my eye to be perfect so I swapped it for a SWFA 3-9. It seems like my scopes end up mounted back further in relation to actions than most people's though. There's a good chance sportsmatch would work well for you.
Might want to look at chassis or shorter length of pull. My scopes always end up the same way but it’s just because of my t-Rex arms. If I had a NXS, I would be doing everything to get it working, not that a SWFA is a bad setup.

Might want to look at chassis or shorter length of pull. My scopes always end up the same way but it’s just because of my t-Rex arms. If I had a NXS, I would be doing everything to get it working, not that a SWFA is a bad setup.

My arm to neck length ratio must be goofy because all of my scopes seem to sit back a little further on the action than most.

The NXS worked fine on a different rifle but after using the 3-9 SWFA I didn't feel like I was functionally losing anything. Definitely not enough to justify an entirely different chassis or stock to make the NXS work. Being plenty happy with SWFAs and the NXS being the last MOA scope in my safe resulted in it getting sold.

Gila

WKR
My arm to neck length ratio must be goofy because all of my scopes seem to sit back a little further on the action than most.

The NXS worked fine on a different rifle but after using the 3-9 SWFA I didn't feel like I was functionally losing anything. Definitely not enough to justify an entirely different chassis or stock to make the NXS work. Being plenty happy with SWFAs and the NXS being the last MOA scope in my safe resulted in it getting sold.

Panther, that is not enough clearance in my book....I wouldn’t do it. I would go with taller rings. If you want to keep the Tikka stock like I did, you can mount a cheek riser or get a stock pack like the one I have in the photo. In fact, I like the Triad Tactical stock pack so much, I am getting one for my other tikka T3 as well. The Murphy Precision rail was a great buy, it has a recoil lug, two guide pins and 5 screws for the T3X action. I was going to bed the rail, but the rail was a perfect fit, no daylight at all under it. I didn’t have too much of a choice for rings. The 34mm tube is not as common yet as the 30mm. I think that it is safe for me to say that if you are going to shoot long range, you need proper eye relief and a good cheek meld.

Lawnboi

WKR
For something a bit cleaner.... lri cut off a couple of the slots on a area 419 rail for a buddy, he had some too close for comfort clearance with an nx8. The back end also caught the mag ring, so the back end got hacked as well.

yerikhu

FNG
I took to mine with the hacksaw and belt sander/sand paper. Should look good with a little aluminum black.

b0adfa872bd3e4de3457e05ee5b850b6.jpg
26c159553f678af35e1e00e1f6469563.jpg

I mounted it up with the Seekins Low (.82”) just for reference. I have a set of the Seekins Med (.87”) on the way so that will give me another .05” clearance. With the low ring there was only about .012” clearance between the bell and barrel (could fit a single index card, but not two). Not enough in my opinion.

8472d47dbf9fb8f8ad5068b6beb22566.jpg

7f03ecd54a87ff496fb3dd02dc35f1ac.jpg

Edit: this is with a NX8 2.5-20x50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking very much pretty black hacksaw. it's good to work on handsaw but many times needs a belt sander to smooth things. The above pictures saw the hacksaw broken. it's too strong enough or uses it the wrong way.

2-Stix

WKR
I am looking into this issue coming. I have a Tikka, ordered a NXS 2.5-10 and like my scopes back. The 3.3" eye relief and 5.1" mounting space seams like a challenge to get working.

SouthPaw

WKR
The new UM Tikka rings have multiple slots for the recoil lug, meaning you should be able to mount the scope a bit further back than with the Sportsmatch.

2-Stix

WKR
The new UM Tikka rings have multiple slots for the recoil lug, meaning you should be able to mount the scope a bit further back than with the Sportsmatch.
It did seam like that was going to work because of that design. It might sit a bit high but should be able to get the scope back. Might need to add a cheek riser.

Its 11 3/16" from the Butler Creek cap on the back of the scope to the recoil pad. The scope could probably be moved a bit more towards to front or back just a little more, maybe 1/8" either way. I'm about 5'11 and medium build and as its set up now the eye relief is great, no issues. I do have to run the stockpack to get the proper height since the McMillan Hunters Edge doesn't have the best comb height but its a good set-up IMHO. Let me know if you have any other questions or want any different pictures.

FYI, I also have the NXS Compacts on a couple other rifles with Proof stocks that are a bit longer LOP and I can still get them to work just fine - all are short actions it could be an issue on a long action but not a problem on the Tikka. For reference here is one I have on my 7MM-08 with the Proof stock, still plenty of eye relief in the scope.

2-Stix

WKR
This is great info I really appreciate. I am 5'7" and 185...stocky build. I tend to run my scopes low and back.

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into this issue coming. I have a Tikka, ordered a NXS 2.5-10 and like my scopes back. The 3.3" eye relief and 5.1" mounting space seams like a challenge to get working.
I ended up getting Med Hawkins rings. The sportsmatch rings didn’t work IMG_5759.jpegIMG_5760.jpeg

2-Stix

WKR
Thank you this is very helpful.

Looks like you run your scopes back like I do. I am guessing your distance is about 11" (like mine) from the end of the butt stock to the ocular. Would you mind measuring that? I could trim the pic rail like others in this thread to move it back if need be. It might look a bit odd, but it would work for me. Get my eye relief right. Current scopes eye rifle is 3.6-4.4" and the NXS2.5-10 is 3.1" with a bigger front objective to continue with.

I like mine low also. With your set up its taller that I would prefer. Tikka socks run low for a cheek weld for me and I don't want to run a check riser. If I ran low clamps (new UM's) that were directly clamped to the integrated receiver rail it looks like it could interfere in shell ejection. Whats your thoughts on that?

Attached are my current set ups. tikka-1.jpg