Tikka T3x bottom metal for longer OAL

I currently have 2 Tikka T3x rifles waiting for post hunting season to become next year's hunting rifles.

One is a superlite 6.5CM and one is a lite 7MM RM. Eventually, they both will likely get different barrels and stocks, but why not shoot them in the meantime. This thread is about planning for the future and amassing the parts when I find them on sale, but also being strategic around it so I don't end up with conflicts or buying more parts later.

The 6.5 is very likely going to become a 280 AI and the 7MM RM will either stay that or become a 6.5PRC.

I'm interested in bottom metal options that allow for longer OAL primarily so I can take advantage of whatever chamberings I ultimately end up with.

It would be awesome if there were some cross compatibility in magazines as well which means I am guessing I should be looking at AICS type mags?

I know there is Mountain Tactical and red-snake tactical for bottom metal. Atlas has been mentioned as well.

Anyone want to offer up suggestions and more importantly, why you suggest a specific brand and model of bottom metal?

Thanks.

khuber84

WKR
Redsnake and mountain tactical both make dbm that take 3.715 external length aics mags. I'd use whichever doesn't require modifying the action/trigger for fitment. Use the 3rd mags as they hang down way less than the 5 round. I personally like the redsnake unit.

Last edited:
OP
silverbullet555
Redsnake and mountain tactical both make dbm that take 3.715 external length aics mags. I'd use whichever doesn't require modifying the action/trigger for fitment. Use the 3rd mags as they hang down way less than the 5 round. I personally like the redsnake unit.
If you use the 3.715 external AICS mags with a shorter round, are they internally spaced for that or is it not needed?

khuber84

WKR
At some point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The mags take 3.615 internal, it not going to hurt anything. However I think you may be doing this backwards. Shaen Rifleworks in California will take your 6.5 creedmoor and ream the chamber and open the bolt face to magnum spec, and run a factory Tikka bottom metal with regular Tikka 300wm/7rm magazine. Hells canyon and mountain tactical have magazines perfect for this. The 280ai is equal to a 7saum. Your 7mm rem will run fantastic from standard Tikka bottom metal with the previous mention mags with its long bolt stop. The 6.5 prc and 280ai/7saum are so close ballisticly speaking, just build one as next year's hunting rig, unless you need two.

OP
silverbullet555
The mags take 3.615 internal, it not going to hurt anything. However I think you may be doing this backwards. Shaen Rifleworks in California will take your 6.5 creedmoor and ream the chamber and open the bolt face to magnum spec, and run a factory Tikka bottom metal with regular Tikka 300wm/7rm magazine. Hells canyon and mountain tactical have magazines perfect for this. The 280ai is equal to a 7saum. Your 7mm rem will run fantastic from standard Tikka bottom metal with the previous mention mags with its long bolt stop. The 6.5 prc and 280ai/7saum are so close ballisticly speaking, just build one as next year's hunting rig, unless you need two.
I might be. I've always used rack rifles so now I want to step up my game a little.

My goal is for forward compatability (buy once cry once) vs upgrading something multiple times.

Both rifles will get rebarreled at some point because I want a different profile for better suppressor shoulders. For now, my smith can thread, add an adapter and ensure there is a shoulder and the whole system is aligned properly to prevent muzzle strikes.

As far as calibers, it is entirely possible the 6.5CM will stay a CM to be used on game up through deer. My son claimed my ruger 6.5 CM and I'll be shortening the stock on it for him and it will then be used by his little brother. So, I needed something new and the Tikka 6.5CM superlite left hand went on sale at SW and I had a coupon and some gift cards. It also would work for a conversion to a 280ai and in this ammo shortage, 280ai has been available.

As far as the 7MM, it could easily stay a 7MM or turn into a 6.5PRC primarily for elk as I would prefer a little more oomph than the CM though I have taken elk with the CM.

In the end, I'm trying to think ahead. If I am going to have my smith rebarrel the action and bed the action in a different stock, that would be the time to have them do the bottom metal inletting if need be. It would save on time and shipping. If inletting is not needed, now or in the future, then it doesn't really matter as I can swap out factory patterned bottom metal.

I hope that makes sense. All of this is to start accumulating the parts that I need/want over a period of time, buying while on sale or from the classifieds market.