Tire Chains vs Cables

11boo

WKR
Thought I would bump this thread..

Do you guys run 2 chains or 4 chains? If 2 do you put them on the front or back?
I only carry 2 chains, just heavy duty ones. And I’ve deployed them at least a dozen times. Only once have they gone on the rear tires, front for me. I had a come to Jesus moment the one time they were on the rears. Going down a steep muddy/snowy trail. I could control the speed ok, just not the direction, and the direction kept sliding toward a big drop Off. Lots of good advice in this thread.

Welcome to Rokslide!

Clarence

WKR
Like said above, if only hanging one set, definitely put them on the front.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB
Thought I would bump this thread..

Do you guys run 2 chains or 4 chains? If 2 do you put them on the front or back?
2 chains on the front the majority of the time, as long as you have the clearances from your fender and control arms. I had to put them on the back going down a steep hill a couple years ago, it really helps to anchor the ass end so it doesn't kick out. I know people that don't have clearances on their fronts and run them strictly on the back and it works fine for them. 4 will turn you into a D8 but it needs to be pretty deep to need 4, but when you have 4, it is pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Chains on the front only are dangerous as this can easily cause the back end to slide. One set of chains should always go on the rear regardless of drive tires. If front wheel drive, to be safe, you need chains on all 4 tires.

This is assuming actually driving with then, not just using them to get out of a tight spot, then taking them off.

Cheato

FNG
Cables = 4 Season Tire
Chains = Mud Tire
V Chain = Super swamper

I have a set of hybrid chains for my Sprinter van. It looks like they are now made by Thule. They are a pretty decent compromise if you dont need the ultimate in traction.
I have a mercedes sprinter van and I'm looking for chains for a ski trip. Would you mind sharing what you found?

tdot

WKR
I have a mercedes sprinter van and I'm looking for chains for a ski trip. Would you mind sharing what you found?

The model I use are made by Peerless Chain, called Auto- Trac. I'll buy them again for my new Sprinter that should arrive sometime this year... or maybe next.

Wrench

WKR
For me, if running one set, rears get it.

I managed to find another set for my 3rd rig and ended up with one set of cams and one with snubbers.... I am gonna dump the snubbers. They are junk compared to cams. The speed and amazing tension is worth whatever it costs.

packer58

WKR
I have a full set of heavy duty cam-locks for my F-250 wearing 285's, my logic tells me when running one set they go on the steering axle which also has all the weight, Iv'e just had better luck having the chained up fronts pulling me through the crappy stuff rather that the rears pushing the truck through.
The other thing is iv'e probably chained up twice or better times more for mud than snow or ice.

If real chains will fit, then absolutely a good set of v bar style chains with cams is the way to go. Make sure they fit and you know how to put them on...........
With an unloaded truck, never had an issue with chains on the front only, and the only time we use chains are on really slippery outsloped roads. With a trailer, chains on both ends helps with control alot.

As far as cables, they are not a replacement for real chains, but they work far better than people give them credit for. They wont hold up to tire much tire spinning, but most trucks that I see people talking about on this forum wont hold up to tire spinning with chains anyway.......

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a full set of heavy duty cam-locks for my F-250 wearing 285's, my logic tells me when running one set they go on the steering axle which also has all the weight, Iv'e just had better luck having the chained up fronts pulling me through the crappy stuff rather that the rears pushing the truck through.
The other thing is iv'e probably chained up twice or better times more for mud than snow or ice.
Some of this will depend on what you are doing. The danger of chains up front only is that your greatest traction is in front and when stopping or going down hill your rear can end up sliding around the front, resulting in a loss of control. That cannot happen with the rear only chained up. And of course most of use will only own one set for a front wheel drive and will place them on the drive axil. I've done some magnificent donuts like that, it is a pain driving though as they can happen at very slow speeds. So I now keep 2 sets of chains for the Corolla.

I'm irritated that on the new Tacoma's Toyota did not design them for chains up front. I will probably end up getting 0 offset wheels to give me the clearance required for the steering knuckles and UCA. Of course that introduces other potential clearance issues when steering is locked out.

Wingnutty

FNG
I’ve been in enough pucker factor situations that I’ll never leave the house without front and rear chains. Rain on ice mountain roads is a killer. I don’t care what tires you have, there are times that chains will save your a$$. I typically use them once a year or so.

Another trick, spray paint the connector ends bright orange do you can more easily find them in the snow / mud/dark.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Same issue with my 2019 tundra. I have chains for the back, but not enough room up front. Is it only Toyotas that don’t have enough room to chain up front?

Hey guys my 2 cents. I always buy Semi truck chains and remove a few links from side chains to fit my truck and Jeep. There a lot heavier and less likely to break and tear up your truck. 2010 GMC 2500 W/T no clearance for chains on front.

Hey guys my 2 cents. I always buy Semi truck chains and remove a few links from side chains to fit my truck and Jeep. There a lot heavier and less likely to break and tear up your truck. 2010 GMC 2500 W/T no clearance for chains on front.

I scored some semi chains today. They pretty easy to make fit? I do worry about clearance. I’ve got a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd leveled running 35,x12.50’s. Think I’ll have clearance issues on the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
Anybody on here with an 02-06 chevy avalanche 1500 have a chain recommendation that will fit???? If I remember right...somewhere in the owners manual they said No bueno for chains due to clearance issues. I did buy a set of cables, and they do work well for icy conditions on paved roads, but I don't count on them as an option offroad. Id like to get a set of chains for sure.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Buy real chains for offroad, square link should work. I bought a set before our hunt and turned out I needed them. Helped me pull someone out and helped keep me getting stuck and calling a tow truck a few days later. Trying them on at home as stated earlier helps a lot too. I have a 2015 Sierra diesel, 4x4, factory ride. I only put chains on the back. Didn't try them on the front but the manual says not to use chains at all. I do have one size tire up. Factory is 265 I have 275. I've also read other threads recommending spacer blocks to get the tires out further to make more clearance for the chains, not sure if that was mentioned here already or not.

rbljack

WKR
yeah....the problem on the avalanche is the right rear parking brake cable and bracket unfortunately. That's why i asked if anyone has success with a chain option on the Avalanche (specifically I have a 04 Z71 1500. If anyone has experience with that particular vehicle let me know. I dont want to drop 200 bucks for a set of chains that may not fit. My tire size is 265 70 r17.

Its totally insane that chevy would NOT leave enough clearance for chains on a 4x4 truck. IF YOU ARE LISTENING CHEVY>>>>>>SOME OF US USE OUR TRUCKS AS TRUCKS>>>MAKE ROOM FOR VBAR CHAINS PLEASE!!