Tire Chains

mww982

WKR
Going to northern Colorado on a DIY backpack hunt. Plan on parking at a trailhead and walking in a good distance. Should I bring tire chains for the roads leading up to the trail head or should I be fine? I'm driving a 2022 Ram 2500 Offroad.

fmyth

WKR
Yes, at least one set. Was in CO hunting 3rd rifle and used them on the front of our 2019 Ram 2500 to keep from sliding off the mountain on the way down after hunting all day. Probably would have made it without them but it was sure nice to know I could stop and turn no problem.

Doesn’t hurt to have them in the truck. Used them last year 1st rifle after sliding off a muddy/snowy forest service road. Got a little distracted by some cows and a bull across the canyon.

SonnyDay

WKR
It wasn’t clear if you already own them or not. If yes, bring them for sure. If not, it is a solid investment. For that vehicle probably the cost of two tires… but should last a lifetime. I like the V-bar models.

What elevation is the trailhead? Mine is at only 6400 feet and on a heavily traveled road so I don’t need chains. BUT… if I were to head south on the same road about 10 miles I’d be a fool not to have them. Anyone who owns a truck and hunts elk should own a pair really.

We hunted CO last year the last week of season. We had all 4 chained up in a Ram 2500 due to deal with the mud. Still had issues. I won’t hunt without them.

pfraze

FNG
I didn't have them one year and had to buy them. It was because of all the mud and not due to snow the first week of archery. I always throw them in the truck now

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always have them, but have never needed or used them during archery season. And even for later rifle the only place I've used them is on true 4wd trails in heavy snow/mud.

ruttedup

FNG
FYI be careful on these new trucks and tire sizes, you cant run em on the front on some of these trucks w/o breaking things. I'm trying to figure a work around besides spacers on my 2022 trailboss 6.2 for my late season wyoming hunt this year. Can't figure out why they design these not to run chains. Might have to run chains on the back and cables on the front or put spacers on all 4 to get away from the brake lines.

Poser

WKR
It’s hard to imagine needing them in September unless it is an exceptional year. A few inches of snow with no base is not what chains are designed for. Most September snow, even if it is a big storm, will melt off quickly.

I’d ask a couple of qualifying questions first:

Do you have quality AT tires?
Traction boards?
Shovel?
Snatch rope with proper attachments and dampers? (do not use a ball hitch!)
Compressor?
Tire deflator?

I’d prioritize all of those items over chains as they are much more versatile and will get used if you spend time off road. A winch could be added to the list though you need a much more powerful winch than you think you do in order for it to be practical.

Also, I’d make sure chains will even fit in your wheel well with your current tires. You may have to do some shaping to your interior wheel well or they may just not fit in a way that is practical for turning.

If the road is rough and muddy, air down your tires to around 20 psi. That’s probably going to solve 90% of the problems for 90% of the people in September.

FYI be careful on these new trucks and tire sizes, you cant run em on the front on some of these trucks w/o breaking things. I'm trying to figure a work around besides spacers on my 2022 trailboss 6.2 for my late season wyoming hunt this year. Can't figure out why they design these not to run chains. Might have to run chains on the back and cables on the front or put spacers on all 4 to get away from the brake lines.
This...the manual for 21 F250 says not to use chains at all. I plan on being in WY in Oct...Living in SC there isnt a tire chain expert within an 8 hr drive..I guess I will just have to rely on the duratracs, lockers, trail cruise, and winch...could get interesting but that's part of what makes it fun.

fmyth

WKR
Had to run spacers to get clearance from the brake lines on the rear and upper ball joint on the front of my 2019 Ram 1500. No clearance issues at all on the Ram 2500 we took last year.

ruttedup

FNG
Had to run spacers to get clearance from the brake lines on the rear and upper ball joint on the front of my 2019 Ram 1500. No clearance issues at all on the Ram 2500 we took last year.
How big of spacers did you run? I'm from houston and the closest tire chain person is prb 1000 miles away. Trying to figure this all out. good chance I need them in mid-late november deer hunting in wyoming

fmyth

WKR
How big of spacers did you run? I'm from houston and the closest tire chain person is prb 1000 miles away. Trying to figure this all out. good chance I need them in mid-late november deer hunting in wyoming
I bought chains on Amazon after researching what size/model number to buy based on my tire diameter. Then I put them on and got under the truck to look for anything that was within 2"s of the chains. In the rear I had just under an inch between the chains and the brake lines. In the front I had an inch between the chains and the upper ball joint. I bought 1 1/2" spacers on Amazon and installed them and again checked for clearance. At full lock the chains contacted the rear of my front fender. I returned that set of spacers and bought 1" spacers. I know have a hair under 2" clearance on the rear and just over 2" clearance on the front. I left the spacers on the truck. Last month left on an extended trip with the truck towing a 10k toyhauler. Made it 1500 miles and broke 3 of the 6 studs on the rear wheel. All were torqued to spec by hand no impact gun. The cheap spacers I bought were well made but the wheel studs they used are Chinesium and could not support the additional weight of the toyhauler. I removed the spacers. Will be buying a premium set of Bora wheel spacers soon. The Boras are made in the USA and have much better wheel studs. https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

Rear chains:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KQ89LE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front chains (lighter duty smaller chain than I bought for the rears):

Chinesium Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3NVCQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The chains above also fit my hunting partners 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 truck and no spacers were required.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.45.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.45.13 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited: