Tire Plug - Temporary or Permanent

These Nitto ATs were the first tire I've had where I got a flat and there was more than 10% tread. The other flats I've gotten over the years have been with tires that were due/overdue to be replaced. I ususally run mud terrains but they are expensive and don't last as long.

I'm looking at this as a one-off scenario, but if I get any more flats, I'll be going back to MTs.

Still, at this point you are running "summer tires".

Jethro

WKR
I've plugged lots of tires with the same exact plugs you showed. I've always considered them permanent and continued to drive until tires were worn out. (except for the time I plugged a sidewall, that was temporary).

I would not have anybody look at it as long as it holds air.

When I have doubts about tire plugs I add a good bit of tire sealant through the valve stem, but that's only for passenger cars that stay on decent roads.

gelton

WKR
I have ran plugged tires for tens of thousands of miles with no issues. The one time I plugged one myself though, it did get a slow leak eventually and I had a local tire company pull the plug and patch it. Haven't thought about it since.

Wrench

WKR
I live 40 miles from a tire shop. I have plug kits in every rig and trailer I own. Used a bunch and never seen one fail.

Just trim it flush and rock on. Think about the physics. You have pressure trying to push a big blob through a small hole.

It ain't going.

He used 2 plugs.
That may be a pretty decent hole. That may have torn a cord. Thats why they would suggest replacement.
Or it could be fine. Can't really tell ya from the internet

Ucsdryder

WKR
He used 2 plugs.
That may be a pretty decent hole. That may have torn a cord. Thats why they would suggest replacement.
Or it could be fine. Can't really tell ya from the internet
Ding ding ding.

Winner…2 plugs = bigger hole. Replace the tire.

Ding ding ding.

Winner…2 plugs = bigger hole. Replace the tire.
Technically maybe.
I worked in tire stores on and off for a few years.

If it has a torn cord I would definitely replace it.

But to me a few hundred isn't worth the worry. Especially on a tow rig. But to each his own.

Backyard

WKR
Not a scare tactic here as I don’t work in or own a tire shop. But I have repaired a shit load of tires in my past for work and otherwise. If it takes 2 plugs, guarantee it will not last. Either get it patched or replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Technically maybe.
I worked in tire stores on and off for a few years.

If it has a torn cord I would definitely replace it.

But to me a few hundred isn't worth the worry. Especially on a tow rig. But to each his own.
I agree. I’ve worked in a tire store as well. He won’t know what the actual damage is until it’s dismounted and you can check the liner. Putting a plug in is just a guess. I’d rather have it done properly so I don’t have to worry about it every trip I take.

EdP

WKR
I have put in over a dozen plugs over the past 4 decades. Had one leak a little after thousands of miles, Added another plug and ran that and all the other tires to end of life. I pulled a screw from a tire on my jeep wrangler 2 weeks ago and put in a plug. I expect to run that tire to end of life without a worry. I don't see the advantage of a patch over a plug other than money moving from my wallet to the wallet of someone else. Note that all were in the tread.

TaperPin

WKR
I always have a plug kit and have well over two dozen plugged tires in 40 years and have never had one give out. One did leak so a second plug was put in, but that’s pretty good.

Tire shops, especially chains, are out to make as much money as humanly possible and the excuses used to sell new tires are so engrained in our minds we begin to believe them.

If you don’t feel good about the tire I’ve had great luck buying individual tires on eBay - less than local price and exactly what you need. Just be careful, many tires that sound similar are slight different. There is a number, like a part number, and it’s always safe to go by that.

The excuse that cracks me up is all the tires have to be exactly the same tread depth. I love to poke at em for that one. If I live on a windy road doesn’t the differential work overtime anyway? If there is more weight on one side of the truck and the distance from the center of the axle to the ground is 1/8” lower how is that any different from tires with 1/8” more tread? Measuring from center of rim to ground in front vs rear will produce as much difference as different tread depth.

I have yet to hear of any normal single plug failing - ever. I have yet to hear of any difference in tread depth causing a problem - of any kind, anywhere.

grfox92

WKR
I've run plugs for tens of thousands of miles woth no issues.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

2531usmc

WKR
As long as the plug isn't within ~1" from the sidewall, you should be fine for most conditions. If it is close to the sidewall, take it in and have them dismount the tire and check for any cracks, delam, etc.

They are technically considered temporary emergency repairs until you can get it to a shop who will replace it with a patch from the inside, I can't say I've ever heard of one properly installed failing.

I used to work at a tire shop, FWIW.
This, exactly has been my experience for thirty years of driving