Top two mountain cartridges

Bsnyder

WKR
I have always wanted the 325 wsm that's next on my list well maybe, my semi custom 300 rum may have to come first.

First of all, my sincere condolences. Sounds like your grandfather was to you what mine is to me.
As for this fantastic conundrum you’ve got on your hands, it’s a similar idea I’ve been considering myself. Since you mention X-Bolts, I currently own a composite stalker in 338 Winnie and I’ve become pretty fond of it after taking an elk and a few moose. For your number two rifle, I think it’s a solid choice if you’re not shy about a little recoil.
The number one rifle; at this point in time I’d be very tempted by one of the 6.5’s or another 280 (either variety, I have a Rem currently).
Let us know what you end up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
The universe works in mysterious ways some times ... on the very day my grandfather (without question the source of my passion/drive to hunt) passed away, the news came in that my friend in British Columbia is able to host me and we're moving ahead with an application for a mountain goat hunt in central British Columbia.

The application should be successful (not a guarantee, but close) and my lifelong dream of a hunt in the mountains of BC will be one step closer to reality.

Definitely time for a new rifle(s) now!

elkguide

WKR
Life is good.
Sounds like your Grandfather had a great life and he was lucky enough to have a grandson like you that he was able to share his love of the outdoors with. A wonderful legacy.

Garshark

FNG
Have a light mountain set up in a 30 06 or 308 plenty of factory ammo choices then get a 45-70 in a lever action classic gun would be good for moose at close to medium range and is a super cool gun

Rifle #1: 25-06 / .270 / 6.5 Creedmore

Rifle #2: 30-06 / 300 Winmag

30 win mag is a bit much for me personally but if you can handle the recoil I don’t see a reason to get a 338.

WKR
I would shy away from the .325 wsm, factory ammo is hard to find and expense. If you reload there isn't many choices for .323 diameter bullets and tons for a .308. The .300 wsm is a better choice unless you like the having something different. Then 200 gr partitions and RL17 worked for me.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Deer and sheep I'd go 7mm-08 or the good ole 270 for faster flatter shooting. I'd move goats into the group with moose & elk paired with a 300wm or 300wsm.

The 325wsm is a phenomenal round. My 325wsm is the favorite rifle in my safe. I've ran handloaded 200gr Accubond for moose, goat, brown bear and black bear. Im a keep shooting until its down guy and I've yet to need a followup shot with this round. That being said, ammo selection is pretty limited.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
A .30-06 will cover all those critters inside 400 meters without issue. Spend the extra money on a nice scope and lots of practice ammo.

Condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

I agree with some of the others. 1 high quality rifle with great glass will be all you need. Pick up a christensen arms or proof rifle chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Light enough rifles to carry for miles, heavy enough to be easy to shoot accurately. 7mm Rem Mag is very very easy to find almost anywhere and can put down anything it sounds like you'll be chasing.

I did what you are considering. I bought a Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08 and a Christensen Arms in 7mm Rem Mag. Dont get me wrong, I like both of them. They both shoot sub moa and are exactly what you'd expect. However, If I were to do it again, I'd probably only buy the Christensen, or maybe a Proof rifle and quality glass. Take it everywhere. Best of luck either way!

Ratbeetle

WKR
My condolences on your loss.

I really want a 280ai but it doesn't look like that's an option with the browning. So I'd probably go 280 rem or maybe 7wsm for number 1. That would cover me for everything but the really big stuff.

325wsm is an intriguing round. I'd go with that or 338wm for number 2.

howl

WKR
6.5, 325 and 270, 338 are pairings with enough difference to matter. You seem to like short action and may need to stop a bear. So I suggest 6.5 PRC, 325 WSM.

Me, I have 25 WSSM, 270 WSM and a .308 for backup. I attend to the bear question by avoiding the brown ones.