Top two mountain cartridges

Speedbump

FNG
After about 10 years working with the 300 Win Mag, I have become puzzled with its continued popularity. Most factory loads, and reloads, unless you push things to max, are only barely faster than can be realized with a 30-06. The balllistics Hornady is delivering with their Superformance line of '06 ammo confirmed my argument.
With a good bullet, I like the 25-05 and 270 for the OP's requirements. A 260 or 7-08 would work every bit as well if you learn how to shoot them. While these will also work for bigger critters, with a little good judgement, a 308 or 30-06 should never be underestimated.
30 cal bullets weighing between 165-180 grains are remarkably effective killers when delivered to the proper spot. Effective on game with less recoil and thunder than the magnums.
Most hunters that do not practice much, are be far better served with non magnum stuff.

2five7

WKR
I have a similar setup to what you are looking. I went with the HC speed in 6.5 Creed, and the LR McMillan in 28 Nosler. I know you aren't planning on long range shots while hunting, but it's a lot of fun to bang steel at extended ranges when it's not hunting season!

EmperorMA

WKR
Inside of 400m, almost anything will work.

I’d get a set of Hell’s Canyon Speed rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester. Short action for lightness and tons of fantastic factory ammunition options for both.

noexcuses

FNG
tikka t3x superlights in 6.5cm and 300 winmag. add a brake to them and be good to go.

Shraggs

WKR
Possible to do it in one, 308 just buy a rifle twice as
Much 😊

I would go 308 and a 35 - whelen or if you’re project orientated a 350 Remington mag. Or, if you like BLRs maybe a 358 win, loaded hot may get close to 400 yards.

OP
B
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I'm giving some serious thought to shrinking the "combo" to just one rifle - an X-Bolt Pro in 308.

Stoked with 165 grain TTSX's, this should take care of anything in North America I ever point it at.

Vaultman

WKR
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I'm giving some serious thought to shrinking the "combo" to just one rifle - an X-Bolt Pro in 308.

Stoked with 165 grain TTSX's, this should take care of anything in North America I ever point it at.

A GREAT choice!!!!

mcseal2

WKR
The one rifle would work fine, but I'll still go with two.

For the light one I'd go 270 win. A 140gr Accubond at 2900fps+ would be my preference with it's BC of around .500

For the heavy one I'd go 300 win mag. I'd push a 180gr Accubond or E tip with a BC around .500 at 2900fps+.

This set-up keeps the ballistics real similar for a shooter to get familiar with. The bullet drop and wind drift out to 400 yards will be very close. Also both are capable of taking most anything you might hunt so one rifle can be the other ones back-up. There are many choices in ammo for both and both are likely to be found anywhere that sells ammo in a pinch.

I've been shooting primarily a 264 win mag and 300 win mag for years that are pretty similar in trajectory with good results.

OP
B
If I elect to go the "one rifle route" I am considering an X-Bolt Pro instead of the "regular" Stainless Stalker.

Wondering if any members here can provide their perspective on whether the X-Bolt Pro upgrades are good value or if I am simply better off with a "garden variety" X-Bolt stainless synthetic? From what I've read/seen, the primary upgrades are the stock, cerakote finish, fluted bolt, and a few other cosmetic touches. I own one X-Bolt stainless synthetic and have been pleased so no concerns about buying the "regular version" if the Pro upgrades really aren't worth the additional dollars.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
If I elect to go the "one rifle route" I am considering an X-Bolt Pro instead of the "regular" Stainless Stalker.

Wondering if any members here can provide their perspective on whether the X-Bolt Pro upgrades are good value or if I am simply better off with a "garden variety" X-Bolt stainless synthetic? From what I've read/seen, the primary upgrades are the stock, cerakote finish, fluted bolt, and a few other cosmetic touches. I own one X-Bolt stainless synthetic and have been pleased so no concerns about buying the "regular version" if the Pro upgrades really aren't worth the additional dollars.
Feel free to correct me, but it looks like the cost differential is about $750 between the two. I'd go with the standard model. If it shoots to your expectations, spend $250 to have it professionally cerakoted, and fit the stock of your choice if you want to upgrade. If it doesn't shoot as well as you want it to, have someone true the action and fit a custom barrel. Its a bit safer way to get an uber accurate rifle than trusting browning to get it right in a production firearm

2five7

WKR
Feel free to correct me, but it looks like the cost differential is about $750 between the two. I'd go with the standard model. If it shoots to your expectations, spend $250 to have it professionally cerakoted, and fit the stock of your choice if you want to upgrade. If it doesn't shoot as well as you want it to, have someone true the action and fit a custom barrel. Its a bit safer way to get an uber accurate rifle than trusting browning to get it right in a production firearm
In this case, I would disagree. Aftermarket stock options for xbolts are very limited, and expensive. Just upgrading to a McMillan would eat up just about all of that $750. Add in the cerakote cost, and adding a brake and your way over the cost of the pro.

Now no if you like that standard stock and finish, then yes, you can save some $$ with the standard stainless stalker.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
In this case, I would disagree. Aftermarket stock options for xbolts are very limited, and expensive. Just upgrading to a McMillan would eat up just about all of that $750. Add in the cerakote cost, and adding a brake and your way over the cost of the pro.

Now no if you like that standard stock and finish, then yes, you can save some $$ with the standard stainless stalker.
Didn't realize stock options were so limited... Regardless, my comment was more related to accuracy than stock selection. I don't know much about the x-bolt platform, but I've had terrible luck getting factory barrels to shoot well enough for me without a lot of work. The standard model leaves room for a new tube if the factory one doesn't shoot well.

But, agreed on the aftermarket stock options - they all blow the budget if the stock on the pro is what the OP is really looking for

2five7

WKR
Didn't realize stock options were so limited... Regardless, my comment was more related to accuracy than stock selection. I don't know much about the x-bolt platform, but I've had terrible luck getting factory barrels to shoot well enough for me without a lot of work. The standard model leaves room for a new tube if the factory one doesn't shoot well.

But, agreed on the aftermarket stock options - they all blow the budget if the stock on the pro is what the OP is really looking for
The high end X-bolts are all hand chambered, hand lapped. They shoot!

MTSabo

WKR
Id go with a .270 and a .375 HH mag if your planning on hunting moose anywhere there is grizzlys. A 270 or 30-06 will do it all but I sure like my 375. Really puts down the big critters quick.