Totem or lucky charm

87TT

WKR
I was packing my pack for elk hunting and wondered if anyone else carries something with special meaning for luck or just good vibes? I have always had my grandfather's knife with me. I used it on a couple of elk and lost track of all the deer I've processed. It is nothing special but is homemade with an antler handle I put on it when the bone handle finally fell apart. I use it some but since my wife bought me an Outdoor Edge, I just carry the old knife in my pack. The blade is getting pretty worn from sharpening and the original sheath was eaten by Lab puppy years ago. My grandfather passed away more than 60 years ago and the knife was given to my little brother by my grandmother. My brother was killed in an auto accident in 1973 and my mother gave me the knife. So it holds double meaning to me. It ALWAYS is in my pack.
Good luck out there.

1693148163391.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool story. I don't have any totems, but I do have a hat I always wear. It used to be gray but has faded and sweat stained into a weird rust color. I didn't harvest anything last time I wore it, so it might be time to find something else.

I’ve been carrying a “pocket” rhino since September of 2007. My kids gave it to me before a deployment to keep me safe. I’ve had it in my pocket everyday since they gave it to me. It’s beat up and shows significant signs of wear from riding in my pocket.

I found a pair of flint spear points (within 5 minutes of each other) high in the mountains years ago that I always carry in my pocket when hunting. It makes me feel connected to the thousands of generations of men who have loved the chase, for necessity, for fun, and for the brotherhood. I kept one and gave the other to my son.

Not on me most of the time... But I was given a flask on my first overnight hunting trip. It's been on every one since then.

Also I have separate key rings for the truck and the car, both my key rings, and all my luggage tags are old dog collar tags. (The nice brass riveted on kind.)

Agross

WKR
I do the same exact thing with a knife my dad found when he was younger. Growing up I remember he always used that knife to skin his deer. He was killed in an auto accident in 2005. I bring that knife with me on all my deer hunts whether I use it or not. It also is in need of a new handle but haven’t got around to having it done, nor do I know where to have it done. Knife will go to my son when he’s old enough to skin his own deer, which will be in the next few years.

I don't carry anything, but maybe a good time to share a story.

A few years ago after struggling for 8 days to kill an elk (after already spending another week earlier in the month) I was down to my last evening and had implemented my emotional defense mechanism where I 'accept' that I'm not going to get what I want. I still go out swinging, but I sorta let go of hope. I decided to spend the afternoon hiking around, definitely still hunting and calling, but more focused on looking at the ground to pick up cool looking rocks for my kids. Two kids = two rocks, and it wasn't but a moment after the second rock hit the inside of my pocket that a bull piped off, and I snuck in on him and killed him as light faded away. Truly last hour of the last day success.

WCB

WKR
had a knife of my grandpas....lost it in S.D. Mule deer hunting 2 years ago. I know the last place I had it and where I realized I lost it. Tried to back track and find it but I believe going down a steep long cut bank that was really soft...I believe it fell off there and got covered with sliding dirt. I plan on going back next year and will probably bring a metal detector and try to find it.

TheCougar

WKR
My kids give me stuff… I have a Lego figure from my son when he was about 6 or 7. My oldest daughter made me a “mini-pillow” on her sewing machine. My youngest two gave me little trinkets. They all go into the backpack…. Plus they made a bunch of stickers and put pink princesses and dinosaurs and flowers on my bow and quiver. When I see them, they make me smile. They aren’t “good luck”, but they do make my day better on the mountain.

Rich M

WKR
That is work
Last year i climbed a tree in the rain, snuggled into my raincoat and fell asleep for like 2 hrs. Woke up and looked around, legal buck at 40 yards behind me. Probably came in to see what the snoring was. Will take em as the come! ;)

49ereric

WKR
Last year i climbed a tree in the rain, snuggled into my raincoat and fell asleep for like 2 hrs. Woke up and looked around, legal buck at 40 yards behind me. Probably came in to see what the snoring was. Will take em as the come! ;)
Heard a few falling asleep stories but my son missed a 10 pointer that came trotting by that woke him but his chair squeaked as he turned to shoot.
I always told him to get some sleep but teenagers don’t listen 🤷‍♂️

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I guess it's not about luck so much as the good memories/feelings. I hunt solo almost always so it's like having someone along to share it with.

Rich M

WKR
I guess it's not about luck so much as the good memories/feelings. I hunt solo almost always so it's like having someone along to share it with.
It's about what make you feel good. One way to bring other folks with you, at least "in spirit" and is comforting. "Lucky hat" or heirloom knife, it all works.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I keep an old ivory in my pocket. It reminds me when I'm at that point of giving up, every elk I have ever harvested decided to pop up when I was at that point frustration and giving up. Come to think of it... I have never had a quick hunt... I don't think I have ever seen an animal of the correct species on day one; or day two for that matter.