Toyota Tacoma Advantages

So I wanted to ask my fellow sliders about this. I have a 3/4 ton Diesel that I pull my 5th wheel with, and a side by side to take up the nasty roads and trails that we see while hunting. But I know a few guides and avid hunters who swear by their Tacomas and have no interest in buying an ATV or side by side. Anyway I’m kicking around the idea of buying a Tacoma to use in the hills but wanted to gather as much info as I can.

So what are the advantages over using a side by side to hunt or tool around the hills in? Strictly as a hunting vehicle?

As an owner of both, here are my thoughts:
Honda Pioneer 1000-5:
*Hot in the cab.
*Dusty. No matter how much you try to seal the cab, dust finds its way in.
*Noisy.
*Needs a trailer to get anywhere.
*Cold in the cab.
*Insurance can be expensive
*They all are prone to breakdowns and mechanical failures (unless you can mechanic yourself, it's expensive).
*Comparable fuel mileage to my Tacoma.
*They are incredibly fun on trails.
*They are handy on the acreage if you have it.

Tacoma:
*Air and Heat.
*Radio
*Doesn't need to be trailered.
*Almost as offroad capable as a SXS. Just not as narrow.
*Able to drive everyday
*Cabs are quiet.
*No dust in the cab.

I like the Pioneer, I have really thought about selling it due to lack of use. Here is a depressing way to look at it:
If you pay 22k for one and keep it for 10 years and put 10k miles on it.
That breaks down to $2200 a year or $2.20 a mile. Believe me, you have to drive the snot out of it to ever hit 10k miles.

See I just talked myself out of having one!

KurtR

WKR
For my use a sxs works better. We can drive them on the hiway and i am not far from where i hunt and then ice fishing just drive it from home right on the lake add tracks if we get a bunch of snow. AC and heat in the ranger and for dog training put racks on it to drive around fields and it doesnt tear up stuff as much

VernAK

WKR
I have two Tacos.

2017 for trips to Fairbanks

2003 Stepside for bird hunting and backroads [for sale] A very durable machine!

I use a conventional Quad for the real backwoods travel.

Billinsd

WKR
I got a 2002 Tacoma. The only problem with it is the max towing capacity is 5,000 lbs. I'll get a side by side or 4 wheeler if I get a much bigger truck to tow a trailer and can't bring the Tacoma. I've looked at, thought about A LOT, side by sides and 4 wheelers. I'll probably get a used Tundra 2018 or so to pull a small trailer.

Billinsd

WKR
A Tacoma is waaaay cheaper than a 3/4 ton diesel + 5th wheel trailer + UTV/ATV. Many people are choosing the Taco route out of financial necessity.
I'm retiring in 3 years and looking real hard at a 3/4 ton big trailer and utv. I'm also looking at a used Tundra and smaller trailer.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
A lot depends on your planned use and areas that you plan to hunt, and if you will use the vehicle besides just for hunting. The 5th wheel and 1 ton get a lot of use for us, and we're fine taking it out on public land for dispersed camping as far as we're willing to take the 5er. That truck unhitched is not an off road machine. At least not the off roads that we take. I've done it but there are better tools for the job.

A Tacoma or Jeep is better than a full size truck for most primitive roads and certainly is more comfortable for dust and dirt and the environmental capabilities. Any UTV is unmatched for the truly difficult terrain.

Any of them will get you out somewhere deeper in the dark, then park it and hunt even further.

Reactions: CCH

DaleW

WKR
My brother has a '19 tacoma with the "TRD off road" package. It is significantly better off road that my full size f150. Like not even in the same class. The main advantage is the size and weight. They're pretty darn narrow and if you have a good set of tires that aren't gonna fail on you there's nothing you can't roll over. I don't think there's a better vehicle for hunting if you don't need to tow or bring a massive amount of gear.

svivian

WKR
You already have the 3/4 ton diesel, a 5th wheel and a SXS. Unless you are selling all of it off then I don't see any advantages at all to going the the Taco.

IF you are trying to simplify and reduce your toys then yes I would get the taco.

MattB

WKR
In rocky country, you can comfortably drive a SxS much faster than any road-worthy truck. The benefits to the Tacoma are climate control, lockable space, and over-all storage capacity - not to mention Toyota quality, reliability, and resale value

Billinsd

WKR
Are there 5th wheel trailers that can carry a Tacoma in the back? That would be ideal!!!

OP
U
Awesome insights guys, really good info! Think I’ll probably stick with my current set up but was just kind of wondering what I’m missing. I do love having the side by side to beat up instead of a $45,000 Tacoma

sacklunch

WKR
Advantage...you'll save money on gear because you no longer have room to bring it along. Bonus points for being so slow you couldn't possibly get a speeding ticket if you tried.

just echoing several of the above. The Tacoma has all of the benefits listed. So does the SXS. In my experience the decision comes down to finances and expected usage off-road. In steep and rocky terrain the SXS will blow the Tacoma away in terms of reasonable time it takes to travel any distance, plus, the SXS will be able to travel on narrower travel lanes. If your main use is on two track forest service roads that are mostly dirt that difference in travel time narrows a good bit, and maybe the benefits of a Tacoma win out.
If you go the Tacoma route you can consider a four-wheeler or motorbike to get you into the narrowest roadways quickly and back in as far as you can on a motorized vehicle. There are ways to load either on a Tacoma that doesn't involve towing something which I see as an advantage of the Tacoma route as well. This is probably the cheaper route related to up-front costs and fuel consumption traveling to your hunting areas.
Another consideration I thought of was the time of year you plan to use either. Late season, snowy travel I would think the SxS has a strong advantage related to timely travel off-road. With the right suspension they do pretty well, better than a Tacoma I would think. Also, I wouldn't want to be using my bike or a four-wheeler in late season conditions. I'm more of an early season hunter so the Tacoma gets the nod for me.

just echoing several of the above. The Tacoma has all of the benefits listed. So does the SXS. In my experience the decision comes down to finances and expected usage off-road. In steep and rocky terrain the SXS will blow the Tacoma away in terms of reasonable time it takes to travel any distance, plus, the SXS will be able to travel on narrower travel lanes. If your main use is on two track forest service roads that are mostly dirt that difference in travel time narrows a good bit, and maybe the benefits of a Tacoma win out.
If you go the Tacoma route you can consider a four-wheeler or motorbike to get you into the narrowest roadways quickly and back in as far as you can on a motorized vehicle. There are ways to load either on a Tacoma that doesn't involve towing something which I see as an advantage of the Tacoma route as well. This is probably the cheaper route related to up-front costs and fuel consumption traveling to your hunting areas.
Another consideration I thought of was the time of year you plan to use either. Late season, snowy travel I would think the SxS has a strong advantage related to timely travel off-road. With the right suspension they do pretty well, better than a Tacoma I would think. Also, I wouldn't want to be using my bike or a four-wheeler in late season conditions. I'm more of an early season hunter so the Tacoma gets the nod for me.
You can flat boogy in snow in a sxs. As long as it's fluffy. If it has any moisture or a crust, you're limited by your ground clearance. The full skid plates on the bottom float on that deeper snow. Tracks obviously are a game changer but come with their own limitations.