Tract, SWFA, Nightforce, or ?

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've been lurking and searching threads for scope info. for a while now. I would like to upgrade my Leupold VXII 2-7x33 with something with more magnification and a turret for dialing. I dial with my Leupold by removing the dust cap and using the ege of it to dial elevation. It works, but it's kind of wonky if the aniimal is changing distances. The scope will go on my Tikka 300wsm, which is my do everything rifle for AK big game. I do some backpack hunts for dall sheep so weight is a consideration. I'd like to get more proficient and have a scope to make 500-700 yard shots with confidence. In my research I was amazed that so many higher end scopes fail to track and return to zero. I would like a scope that tracks properly. I would rather dial than use a BDC type reticle. I would like to keep it around $800. My first choice seems to be the Tract Toric UHD 3-15x42 followed by the SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA 3-15x42. I like that the Toric turrets have a zero stop and they easily "lock" so they don't get bumped. They also look like they don't stick out as far as other turrets. I did not find many reviews on the Tract Toric. They are 10% off through Veterans Day......what do you think?

OP
AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I might add that I have used Leupold all of my life and all of my rifles have Leupold scopes. I have no complaints with them. I admit that I have not done a true tracking test, but the little dialing that I have done they seem to return to zero. The Leupold VX3i 4-14 looked nice, but you guys say it won't track.....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the SHV 3-10 and a few SWFA scopes (3-9, 3-15). Both of those are excellent choices but they are actually, in my opinion very different scopes.

For me, my SHV is basically a set and forget scope that can dial if I really want to but it sits on a rifle that would rarely be shot past 300yds, theres no reason one couldn't range then dial with that scope but thats really not what its meant for as it has capped turrets.

The SWFA scopes check a lot of boxes for the money, they are extremely durable, the glass is decent (I actually think its pretty good) but more importantly they will reliably dial again and again. Once I figured out how to really use a mil dot/dial my eyes were open, its like cheating. With just a bit of foot work and basic math these things just put the bullet where it needs to go. Im not a long range shooter or hunter but I like to be proficient out to 500, maybe 600. With the swfa on my tikka 6.5creed I just click it like my chart says and it hits where I point it, its great.

The nightforce SHV 4-14f1 is another scope I have and use a lot, in my mind, it sort of combines the best parts of the nightforce and SWFA scopes, its got good glass and dials reliably just like the SWFA, the reticle is different but still mil dot based and works just fine and actually makes a nice trim package. I have that scope sitting on a tikka as well.

In a nutshell, id say if you want to dial and have an 800 dollar budget, SWFA is pretty much the best game in town. If you can float another 300 bucks, the SHV 4-14 is an awesome choice.

I have a tract Toric 3-15x42 I out on my 260 after a Leupold wasn’t dialing reliably. I’ve done a tracking test at a measured distance and it tracked true. Since then I’ve done nothing but set it for zero and dial and hit targets and animals repeatedly. I went with the tract because I felt it fit the magnification, weight and I liked the turret and parallax. Parallax knob you have to pull away from the scope to turn so it has teeth that lock it in. The zero stop vertical turret limits to one revolution so I use the regular with I like because it’s capped. If I’m dialing I have to to remove the cap. Overall no complaints and I’ve dialed to 28.5 Moa many times for just over 1000 yards. I don’t have a canted rail so that is max elevation. My bullet runs out of steam at 750-800 so that’s plenty. I also have a 5-20 SHV on another rifle that dials right on. For the budget tract would be my choice, second focal, weight, power, price, is just the right combination. The tekoa line is a little less money and uses the same turret guts as the Toric. I have a 2-10 on my 30-06. Still messing with loads so no real definitive tracking data yet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was just looking at the tract stuff, seems cool but for me if I’m dialing g I want FFP Mil/Mil.

brsnow

WKR
I just received NF SHV 3-10 and also SWFA hd ss 3-9x42. First impression is both are tanks in a good way. Was going to pick the one I like best and sell the other but the SWFA will go on a 6.5 CM and the NF will force new to pick up a new .308 or 30-06:)

I was just looking at the tract stuff, seems cool but for me if I’m dialing g I want FFP Mil/Mil.

For me on a hunting rifle I want second focal plane because I keep my power turned down for close quick shots in timber and FFP is tough to see in good daylight and not quick for me. Once I turn FFP up to 9-10 power then I don’t mind it but to me that is too much power for quick target acquisition shots when an animal may be moving through trees and you are winded. Depends on intended use FFP vs SFP but for me tight dark timber is the majority of my use and I still want the ability to practice further and dial for a shot on an animal if necessary. I could care less moa vs mil it’s just a number and both work. I’ve used Moa more and tend to think that way but a friend has a huskemaw that i shoot long range with which is 1/3 Moa instead of 1/4 so basically mil gradation increments and it works fine just a little different correction math.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the Bushnell LRTS for $699 right now, that’s another solid option for dialing at a great price

Since the rifle will be used for sheep hunting, bulk and weight should definitely be a primary consideration. SWFA is mechanically sound but huge and heavy with massive turret nobs. OP has already done a bunch of research and ID’d some high quality optics - there are others. The Tikka is a light-handy rifle but it will no longer be once a massive & heavy scope is attached to it. Also, if max shots are 500-700 yards based on OP criteria also suggest considering a Leupold HD5 3-15x 44. Available for $800-899 with Leupold Warranty and free turret customized to your load.

Wrench

WKR
Look at dougs meopta sale. A 4.5-14×44 is pretty light and very clear. I have the same and tracked very well for me. If I were doing a lighter gun....it would be on my radar. If I could afford more weight, it'd be a lrhs 3-12 hands down.

brsnow

WKR
Since the rifle will be used for sheep hunting, bulk and weight should definitely be a primary consideration. SWFA is mechanically sound but huge and heavy with massive turret nobs. OP has already done a bunch of research and ID’d some high quality optics - there are others. The Tikka is a light-handy rifle but it will no longer be once a massive & heavy scope is attached to it. Also, if max shots are 500-700 yards based on OP criteria also suggest considering a Leupold HD5 3-15x 44. Available for $800-899 with Leupold Warranty and free turret customized to your load.

I put the swfa 3-9x42 on a fieldcraft 6.5 CM and it balances well and still a very light set up. Will see how it does on the range.

I put the swfa 3-9x42 on a fieldcraft 6.5 CM and it balances well and still a very light set up. Will see how it does on the range.
The 3-9x42 is much smaller and lighter than the 3-15 scope under consideration. Also, 9x maximum magnification is far less than ideal for the possible 500+ yard shots the post originator stressed as a requirement. At 500+ yards a Sheep is a pretty tiny target at 9x.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

my tikka is still well under 8lbs with an SWFA scope. Bulk? I don’t see how that’s an issue.

Those tracts do not get the love they deserve. A bit heavy but very good performers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
The 3-9x42 is much smaller and lighter than the 3-15 scope under consideration. Also, 9x maximum magnification is far less than ideal for the possible 500+ yard shots the post originator stressed as a requirement. At 500+ yards a Sheep is a pretty tiny target at 9x.
I run mine to 1200 on 12" steel.

OP
AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. The Meopro 4.5-14x44 HTR looks nice as does the VX5. Seems like I read on here that the VX5 has tracking issues? I might still be leaning to the Tract Toric in part because of the lower turrets, locking turrets, zero stop, German shot glass, etc. Truth is I don't shoot a ton so I have to think the Leupold would track o.k. for me, but I don't know. Someone like Formidulous should do a review/field test on the Tract Toric - please!

Thanks. The Meopro 4.5-14x44 HTR looks nice as does the VX5. Seems like I read on here that the VX5 has tracking issues? I might still be leaning to the Tract Toric in part because of the lower turrets, locking turrets, zero stop, German shot glass, etc. Truth is I don't shoot a ton so I have to think the Leupold would track o.k. for me, but I don't know. Someone like Formidulous should do a review/field test on the Tract Toric - please!

Redhawkrifles.com has bunch of Zeiss and Nightforce demos on sell you might want to look at

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425