Traditional Clothing

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
D6840B4B-0288-42BB-9512-AAB6B1448995.jpegD6840B4B-0288-42BB-9512-AAB6B1448995.jpegMost of the year I hunt in my old Woolrich jacket or Pendleton camo jacket. They may still make the camo version.

I have the Columbia hunting wool pants and jacket. The set with some decent base layers is great IMO. Like previously mentioned it sucks since it is only on Ebay and hunting sites nowadays.

CSims

FNG
I found my self adding some more traditional pieces to my gear arsenal this fall and it was things I already owned. Was primarily carhartt pieces and I was surprised how well they worked. Affordable and you can try them on in person alot easier than some other brands! Hope my input helps

For cold weather wool pants, I can't recommend the Big Bill 100% wool pants enough. I do deer drives for 9 straight days in the northern WI brush, and these things will last for YEARS. 4 of us guys in my crew wear them, and the only guy who has a rip is because he wore them ice fishing and when you kneel, wool rips off on the knees after freezing down. They're warm as hell. Blood usually falls right off of them, really great at cutting down on wind, etc. Not to mention, they're in a plaid, so they def fit the traditional look...

Shraggs

WKR
I have quite a bit wool myself, mostly Filson then surplus military pants. Most of this I use exclusively for white tail stand hunting as it’s a bit heavy for active use in mountains. But warm silent and I dare say obervationally I feel there is a noticeable odor benefit for that type of hunting. The only downside for me is cold and high winds.

One piece from ll bean is there perennial commando knit wool sweater. Surprised knit wool isn’t more popular as an active mid layer. It’s not a thick garment, weighs a touch more than my halstead fleece, yet is way warmer and breathes way better. Moves well with the shoulder patches under stuff. I feel knit wool although itchy (but not over a base layer) absorbs less of my moisture than a merino with the visible “air gaps “ in the knit. That is my cold weather mountain mid layer if very active. If mildly active then I throw a fl hybrid sawtooth over with chamberlain on top for static.

Funny form mention red kettle, which is now on my save for list…. Thanks, think… 😊 I have in older pair of surplus military rain pants. Never leaked, very light and they’re cotton! Love them so much I only use them for winter River steelhead fishing so I don’t lose or damage them. Also some of filsons very light cotton shelter cloth waxed is nice, although wax does add weight and compromise breath ability.

CSims

FNG
Has anyone used any pieces from Asbell? Considering pulling the trigger on a Asbell Jacket looks like some great quality stuff and doesn’t break the bank too much..just looking for a little input thanks

Dobermann

WKR
Public service announcement: Varusteleka have changed the cut of their Sarma TST Wooshell pants this year:

We trimmed the cut to be smoother (size recommendations remain the same), switched to a thicker and stronger wool frieze ...

Not sure what they were wanting to translate to when they got 'smoother' ... possibly 'slimmer'?

Anyway, if you're interested, I got some in and can see Form's recommendation, but more for minimal speed / cold temps - these things are warm!

Also pay attention to the inseam length - I didn't ordered regulars, and they're way too long. Fortunately, Varusteleka have a great returns arrangement, so some short ones are on the way ...

I bought a pair of Big Bill pants as backup to my Woolrich pants. I'm glad I am old and have enough spairs to last me.

Wool shirts are really hard to find. I bought a Big Bill light weight coat. The weight is right for a shirt but no tails to keep it tucked in. I wear a army surplus coat liner between my duofolds and the shirt for my walking clothes and have additional clothes for riding.

All of my hunting is in the snow. Rarely I will have cold weather and dry ground. Trying a balance differant wool weights to match the weather is always a challenge early in the season.

My new policy of 'buy it when you find it' has made my hunting closet firmly packed. It's tough when you have to plan for the rest of your life because the modern culture is primarily quad hunters or september archers.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a few different wool pieces this winter from various companies. Got lucky on a filson wool packer coat (literally like wearing a blanket), Johnson woolen mills green pants (wear with first lite furnace down to zero and could go lower if very active), and was gifted an Asbell zippered pullover that I LOVE. aerowool, light down jacket and that keeps me super warm when I'm around the farm in sub 10 degree weather. Wool is the way to go with proper layering in the winter. Haven't been this warm in winter in my whole life. Pair all that with some schnee extreme pac boots and I'm ready for the arctic!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d opt for the Övik wool padded jacket, instead. Neither the Övik or Keb are waterproof, but I’m a fan of the G-1000 Silent and can wax it more, as needed. My hunting pants use that material.

The Ovik is neat, but it is quite heavy- 39 ounces.

Look into Johnson Woolen Mills, Beagle Wool, Filson, to name a few. I have some columbia, llbean and woolrich. It is warm even when wet but it is heavy. Our gun deer season is late in NY and runs late November into December.

Shraggs

WKR
When I’m active and using a filson I sure appreciate their thinnest possible. Their old style bomber or the liner are really great jackets if you’re active they’re still warm they breathe like crazy and I feel wool under a shell is less clammy than a synthetic, once you stop and need to throw something on on top

Dobermann

WKR
Varusteleka out of Finland has wool pants and jackets that are top shelf made in Estonia, not Asia. The Sarma TST Woolshell pants and jackets are very high quality and feature a modern more fitted cut versus boxy, baggy traditional American wool clothing ... There is actually quite a bit of really good clothing made out of natural fibers that other than a small weight penalty beats synthetics at nearly every other task.
Hi Form. I got some Sarma TST pants in to test - first impressions is that they are very warm as-is, so likely better suited to slow hiking or still hunting scenarios, rather than fast hikes (unless, perhaps, below freezing, which I'm not).

Just wondering what you see the main use scenarios are for the TST Jacket (say, compared to using a Grumman)? For example, do you see it as mainly a jacket for when stopping hiking / when glassing? Would you carry both this and a puffy? If so, when would you use each? And would you use them in conjunction? If so, jacket on top of puffy (like replacing the role of a shell jacket), or puffy on top of TST jacket (such as putting puffy over a mid-layer?

I know that in some ways these might seem like basic questions - but I'm genuinely trying to work out a use-case - as it's not as light as a mid-layer, as warm as a puffy, or as waterproof as a hardshell ... but it is toasty and so possibly crosses over the role of some other pieces.