Traditional Clothing

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi Form. I got some Sarma TST pants in to test - first impressions is that they are very warm as-is, so likely better suited to slow hiking or still hunting scenarios, rather than fast hikes (unless, perhaps, below freezing, which I'm not).

A couple modifications to the TST woolshell pants really helps them shine in more uses- take the massive cargo pockets, cut them down in size and put them on the front of the thigh-
F496C8E1-85D1-4A65-92F5-464CDE45F7F0.jpeg

This opens the side of the leg for a side zip vent-
C4CAB643-3C23-468D-AD79-5075F1E6632C.jpeg

Then, sewing two loops on the leg opening left and right, allows a small piece of shock cord to be used as an ad hoc gaitor-
CE1D2B0A-C563-44AC-A1E6-7B61A9EA70D5.jpeg

Just wondering what you see the main use scenarios are for the TST Jacket (say, compared to using a Grumman)? For example, do you see it as mainly a jacket for when stopping hiking / when glassing? Would you carry both this and a puffy? If so, when would you use each? And would you use them in conjunction? If so, jacket on top of puffy (like replacing the role of a shell jacket), or puffy on top of TST jacket (such as putting puffy over a mid-layer?

Mainly I use the jacket as a general purpose outerwear- like a softshell when there isn’t precipitation when I am not wearing a pack. Though it works fine in light rain too. It’s too warm to wear while hiking with a pack on unless it is very, very cold.

40°’ish and lower moving without a pack

Or

Moving with a pack when it is very cold, and when moving slowly.

In both cases it replaces a soft shell. A puffy would go over it. I do not put puffys under soft shells at all, that compresses the loft and defeats the effectiveness.