Trail camera question

I’ve heard that using expensive batteries over cheap batteries will give you better quality pictures. Does anyone have some experience? I just loaded all my stealth cams with harbor freight thunderbolt for $8!

Also for viewing video from stealth cams on an iPhone does anyone else have a problem using i-EasyDrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use lithium batteries in my trail cameras or any of my electronics. I don't think that the quality of battery will have any influence on the quality of your pictures, but I believe that the lithiums have a longer life, so it eliminates the risk of the batteries running dead between checks.

I’d say the battery life would be shorter with cheaper batteries. But if you plan on checking them often I’d go cheap but if you plan on leaving them awhile before checking i would invest into some better batteries

OP
cody21peterson
I have 7 cameras and I just couldn’t bring myself to drop $50 on batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAMike304

FNG
Batteries wont make a difference in image quality, as its the same camera either way. Yes, lithiums are expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. I run 20+ cameras a year, and would rather spend the money up front knowing they will last, than to go in and check a card, and realize its been dead for a month.(buy once cry once).

Batteries shouldn’t make a difference in your picture quality. But I would run better batteries if leaving your cameras out for an extended period of time

OneArrow

FNG
I use solar battery combo so dont ever worry about the batteries going down. About 149.00 but no mor batteries or missed pictures.

Randall

FNG
Yea, battery quality shouldnt affect picture quality, only the run time. Good ones are worth it if the trail cams will be out for any length of time

Can’t see if affecting image quality unless the flash gets dimmer with battery life.

Cheaper batteries won’t last as long though.

There is a YouTube channel “Project Farm.” He tests a bunch of AA batteries and breaks down the milliamp hours/dollar. I think the HF batteries were more expensive in the long run (less milliamp hours/dollar).

Last edited:

jrnd

Lil-Rokslider
I think lithiums are also worth it. I get at least a year or more out of them and they work better in colder weather.

I can’t imagine how cheap batteries would effect imagine quality out of your trail cams. Quality lithium batteries definitely are worth the extra money in cold weather, they last and hold their charge much, much better.

The energizer lithium AA batteries also hold a higher voltage than standard batteries. I think most regular batteries hold about 1.5 dc volts and the energizer lithium batteries read about 1.8 volts dc. I can't imagine this has any effect on your picture quality but it does lend to longer battery life.