Transitioning to Thumb button? Confidence builders?

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, looking for some advice. I’ve been trying to get mor consistant with my shots this summer. I’ve worked on trying to pull through the shot and various drills to deal with my target panic issues. I tend to get my pin close to target and smack the trigger. So I’ve been reading a lot and trying to figure out how to be a better archer. I’ve only been shooting compounds for around 4 years and just now started trying to actually improve my shooting.
In the past month I’ve felt like working through trying to shoot my index release with back tension hasn’t gone well. I’m shooting a caliper and the travel is noticeable and makes me panic in the middle of my pull which is worse than my other form of panic. It just travels and travels and I Get the feeling it’s never gonna go off. Which then makes me pinch with my finger instead continuing to pull. I’ve read about trying thumb button because the movement is so different from an index that it’s easier to relearn the back tension. I think it would also eliminate the travel which is messing with me. My concern is that in PA archery opens in exactly two months. Is this too little time to get comfortable with a thumb button? Should I just stick with the index for now? And my other concern is that now that I’ve noticed my poor shot process with the index I’m lacking all confidence in my shot. It’s something that now I’ve noticed I can’t ignore. So I’m really struggling with what to do to get me ready for the season. It seems the time is close and I’m getting less confident in my ability each time I shoot. Anyone got any good advice on how to build confidence? I know I can’t buy better form, but would a thumb button give me the opportunity to restart and build up from there? And is there enough time to build that confidence in two months? Any help would be appreciated.

big44a4

WKR
Hi all, looking for some advice. I’ve been trying to get mor consistant with my shots this summer. I’ve worked on trying to pull through the shot and various drills to deal with my target panic issues. I tend to get my pin close to target and smack the trigger. So I’ve been reading a lot and trying to figure out how to be a better archer. I’ve only been shooting compounds for around 4 years and just now started trying to actually improve my shooting.
In the past month I’ve felt like working through trying to shoot my index release with back tension hasn’t gone well. I’m shooting a caliper and the travel is noticeable and makes me panic in the middle of my pull which is worse than my other form of panic. It just travels and travels and I Get the feeling it’s never gonna go off. Which then makes me pinch with my finger instead continuing to pull. I’ve read about trying thumb button because the movement is so different from an index that it’s easier to relearn the back tension. I think it would also eliminate the travel which is messing with me. My concern is that in PA archery opens in exactly two months. Is this too little time to get comfortable with a thumb button? Should I just stick with the index for now? And my other concern is that now that I’ve noticed my poor shot process with the index I’m lacking all confidence in my shot. It’s something that now I’ve noticed I can’t ignore. So I’m really struggling with what to do to get me ready for the season. It seems the time is close and I’m getting less confident in my ability each time I shoot. Anyone got any good advice on how to build confidence? I know I can’t buy better form, but would a thumb button give me the opportunity to restart and build up from there? And is there enough time to build that confidence in two months? Any help would be appreciated.

I think you have enough time to get proficient with thumb release. For what it’s worth I shoot mine with a lot of travel to force me to continue to pull through. Blank bale shooting from 5 yards with no sight and just focusing on pulling with a straight thumb or index (current release) will help. Also try shooting close enough to where you can close your eyes for a few to really take your sight out of the equation. Then you will really notice what it’s like to pull through the shot and execute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zdub02

WKR
I went through a similar situation last summer. Ended up getting a tension release to help me correct my poor form. I second @big44a4 on the blank baling. Just get close and work on execution without worrying about sight picture. I also spent two weeks doing a dot drill just holding on a point of aim without firing the arrow, then let down when your form breaks down. Teaches your brain you don't have to slam the trigger each time you draw. This really helped me build confidence back before the opener last year. Hopefully enough time to help you get confident with whichever release you use. Best of luck to you.

Brendan

WKR
I use tension release, hinge, and thumb button to keep me consistent.

You can still punch a thumb button just like an index trigger. I am most accurate with the thumb, but if I get punchy at all its an immediate switch to one of the others for a while. May hunt with the hinge this year.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Great responses. Thanks. I actually have been working on those two exact drills. I put painters tape around my sight and and just work on execution in my basement. That’s where I’ve struggled the most with the travel. I think because I focus on just the pull I feel like it gets draw out a lot and my hand pulls away from my anchor point a lot before the shot goes off. Which is giving me trouble when I try to actually execute shots.
The let down drill is great. I have found I’m more comfortable letting my pin float around target without punching since I’ve started working on that drill. My struggles come when I try to combine the two. I’m comfortable on target and settled but as I go to execute I feel like I can’t get a clean break on the shot. Certainly need more work. Maybe I’ll grab a thumb button and work on blank bailing for a week or two To get a better execution of the shot. Then work on actually shooting.

Brendan

WKR
Maybe I’ll grab a thumb button and work on blank bailing for a week or two To get a better execution of the shot. Then work on actually shooting.

You can punch a thumb button just like an index trigger. It's still a trigger.

If I was investing in a new release for this, it'd be a hinge or tension release. The advantage to a thumb is it's the same form-factor and easier to switch back and forth with hinge/tension.

I built myself a trainer - curved PVC pipe "riser", pcord and elastic "strings", and d loop. Elastic should extend to max at what would be your full draw and not stretch any further so you can pull into the "backwall".

I shot that thing a lot while fiddling around inside. I think it helped a lot.

qwerksc

WKR
get a Carter evolution or a silverback, work on the suprise release, then switch to the thumb. keep shooting, Aron Synder has a few podcasts on the back tension, Levi Morgan has a series on Target panic, dig deep in the internet and youtube, Joel Turner, the rat hole is deep.

2 months is plenty of time. I recently switched to a thumb button from a wrist rocket, my target panic got worse until I added a back tension release. Now I can shoot the thumb much better and any time I feel myself getting punchy I’ll shoot a few rounds with the back tension. If you punch a trigger, you’ll probably end up punching a thumb button. If you decide to make the switch, I’d recommend getting a tension or hinge release that matches the grip of your thumb button and practice with both.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be a common thing with buying a tension release as well. I’m not sure I’d want a tension release or hinge for hunting. That’s why I thought the thumb button was a good middle ground. Learn a new method of execution for the shot which should help but still have the control of a button release. Seems like the hinge or tension could cause issues when hunting. I’m primarily hunting from a tree stand and I would be concerned about the awkward angles I can get into with deer below the stand. I know to bend at the hips but sometimes your still a bit compromised especially with the speed things can happen in the woods. Seems like a hinge or tension release may be hard to control in some situations. I may be wrong. No experience at all with these releases, but that’s a concern I have. Any one else have that concern?

Seems to be a common thing with buying a tension release as well. I’m not sure I’d want a tension release or hinge for hunting. That’s why I thought the thumb button was a good middle ground. Learn a new method of execution for the shot which should help but still have the control of a button release. Seems like the hinge or tension could cause issues when hunting. I’m primarily hunting from a tree stand and I would be concerned about the awkward angles I can get into with deer below the stand. I know to bend at the hips but sometimes your still a bit compromised especially with the speed things can happen in the woods. Seems like a hinge or tension release may be hard to control in some situations. I may be wrong. No experience at all with these releases, but that’s a concern I have. Any one else have that concern?

The concern is valid. However, the pros tend to outweigh the cons if you are forced to choose one release to help alleviate target panic. You can practice enough to where you mitigate a lot of the risks while hunting by understanding your release and the “feel”.

In all honesty, I went straight to thumb button and fired probably 10,000 shots out of a trainer before ever shooting a bow with it. I engrained my good habits through mirroring John Dudleys teaching. As soon as I had the money, I still went out and bought a tension release. NOTHING teaches proper execution like one of those releases.

if you’re stuck with choosing one release, I’d still put my money on the carter Evolution or the Nock On Silverback. Then save up and buy that thumb button when you’re confident you can put a finger on a trigger without the urge to yank it back.

Brendan

WKR

The problem is this - a thumb button is still a trigger, and you can punch it just as bad. One person above said he was worse from a target panic perspective. I have my moments where I have to put my thumb button down and move to one of the other releases. It's really no different than an index release in that regard once you get comfortable with it.

Your concern is valid - but compare it to the concern of making a bad shot. For hunting, A hinge is easier to manipulate than a tension release, because you can get it to fire by rotating your hand, just harder to tell when it's going to go off, especially if you set it slow with no clicker. You want some element of surprise shot to keep you from getting punchy, that's how it works.

A good middle ground might be something like a Scott Longhorn Hex - Hinge with a wrist strap. Hard to tell when it's going off, but you still have some amount of control

Best training release is the tension release.

fatlander

WKR
Brendan is right. If you punch a trigger you’ll punch a thumb. As Snyder says “put an animal in front of me, and I’ll break the barrel off a thumb release.” I have that same problem. I hunt with a hinge now. I also have tension release (nock on silver back) and when I’m under pressure I rip that guy too.

The hinge can still be commanded but it’s much much harder to force a shot compared to any other release. For me, it’s the only release that makes me really execute a shot. You can buy a thumb release, have a horrible hunting season (or two) then get a hinge. Or you could save yourself the trouble, get a hinge and learn how to shoot it in the next two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerksc

WKR
Become a better Archer, to enhance your Bowhunting experience. The release is just a tool, can't have to many tools. Look used on Archerytalk, You can sell em for what you bought them for, If you totally hate it.

Sounds like I was slower than most to make the switch. It took me 2 full years to be comfortable enough to hunt with the thumb and I had all 3 styles. Wise choice, nock 2 it, silver back, evolution, Carter Colby 2, dudley hinge/total control, several Scott hinges, true fire synapse, trufire hinge, truball ht3. Just have to find what works well together. I like the wise choice and Scott backspin combo. To me the curved evolution handle doesn’t match the wise choice but works better with another similar index thumb from carter. True fire handles match very well. Truball HBC is the best tension I found. I buy and sell a lot used so I can try them out and find what works. Started with the 3 dudley releases actually 2 because the hinge wasn’t out yet and just felt like 2 finger wasn’t nearly as comfortable as 3

Detect

WKR
If you get a thumb, make sure it's able to be configured in a way to minimize target panic. I prefer as little travel as possible to reduce movement and medium-high tension, so I can comfortably rest my trigger finger on the trigger/barrel without worrying about it going off pre-maturely and avoid punching it. I started with Carter and now use Stan. Both are good. I think Stan is more precise with trigger tension and travel. They make wrist releases (ie. Carter Like Mike, Stan Xtinction 2) with good trigger tension too, but I understand if you want to fix a bad habit, sometimes it helps to start fresh with a different device/mechanism.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I have some more thinking to do. How difficult are back tension release to set up? I’d be concerned I wouldn’t be able to get it adjusted properly. I’ve talked to the local shop before and the guy there doesn’t seem to be into thumb or tension releases. Last year when I asked him about it he said he never shot anything but index and that’s all he really knew about. Nice guy and has done good work as far as I know on my bow, but I just don’t know that he would be much help in trying to get a tension release set. So I’d be on my own. That’s another concern I have with tension release.

Detect

WKR
Back tension is just a form of shot execution. You can shoot an index release with back tension. Resistance and hinge are the different styles of releases. Resistance needs to be set so it goes off a few pounds higher than your holding weight. Hinge can be set where in the rotation it goes off (hot vs. cold). Any release you get, make sure it comes with instructions or that you can find them on the manufacturer's website.

Brendan

WKR
I guess I have some more thinking to do. How difficult are back tension release to set up? I’d be concerned I wouldn’t be able to get it adjusted properly.

Not hard. Comes with an allen wrench or two. Might take you 5 minutes to figure it out? The hard part is learning how to shoot them safely (not actually that bad), and shoot them well (takes a while).

With a Hinge, you want to start with it set SLOW. As in, takes more rotation to get it to fire. That's safer for drawing. And work on your draw, you have to draw a certain way or it'll go off in the draw cycle and you'll punch yourself in the face. Carter Honey and Honey 2 are Hinge releases with a safety if you want something like that, look for one used on AT or one of the Facebook groups with a "WTB"

With a tension release, you simply set it higher than your holding weight. Draw with the safety on, settle into the valley, safety off, start pulling into the back wall. Release goes off when you hit the pre-set weight.

I guess I have some more thinking to do. How difficult are back tension release to set up? I’d be concerned I wouldn’t be able to get it adjusted properly. I’ve talked to the local shop before and the guy there doesn’t seem to be into thumb or tension releases. Last year when I asked him about it he said he never shot anything but index and that’s all he really knew about. Nice guy and has done good work as far as I know on my bow, but I just don’t know that he would be much help in trying to get a tension release set. So I’d be on my own. That’s another concern I have with tension release.

Alot of good videos out there the past 3-4 years going through handheld release styles and how to execute a shot with each style. Nock On and Bowmar have some good videos, plenty of others but I have watched alot of Nock On/John Dudley handheld release videos, he shoots one particular method but there are many ways to execute the shot. Phil Mendoza has some videos as well.