Travel trailer questions

Rob5589

WKR
We have been looking at a travel trailer, 24'ish feet, bunks for the kids, queen at a min for us, somewhere around 5500 gvwr, towing with '19 Ram 1500. There are so many and reviews vary widely. I read one that listed the 10 worst brands, then another with the 10 best. They overlapped on 7 of the 10.

So to those with TT experience, what brand/s should we absolutely stay away from?

They’re all basically the same. I think like 4 manufacturers make almost all of them under dozens of brands. We picked up a new IBEX this year and I’ve been really impressed with the features for the money. Get Azdel wall panels and a Dometic fridge if you can. That’s the important bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Im still rollin' a 04' arctic fox that has more miles in 4 low than most jeep wranglers. Arctic, at least older ones are TOUGH.

Of course they're over weight for you, but a nash would fit the bill. Outdoors are the new arctic fox and i can't imagine lance not being great too.

kickemall

WKR
I've had a lot of experience with trailers, mostly 5th wheels though. A few things I can tell you is that most likely you are going to have at least a few problems even with brand new ones no matter the maker. I work closely with an RV repair facility and the owner says that the quality control from the factory is crap and the pre check by dealers is lacking. This mirrors what I have personally seen. He says that dealing with anything Forest River for warranty is a headache and Keystone is pretty good on warranty. Also, there is such a large profit margin written into what the dealers make that they able to cover the warranty problems that will inevitably arise. If at all possible buy a trailer from a local dealer that you can go back to for warranty issues. All dealers will tell you that you can take it to any dealer or warranty repair facility to have it repaired but that is an out right lie. Most dealers won't do work on something they haven't sold even though they are supposed to. At best, you will go to the back of the line. This is because the company pays so little and makes dealers jump through so many hoops on that they are losing money on warranty work.

I wouldn't be afraid of a used trailer although I would want a very good history, preferably from someone I trust. What its been used for, if its been stored inside, etc. Used trailers have usually had issues worked out and often have some cool, and expensive additions. If there is any sign of water leaks, and I mean any, walk away. Water leaks are trailer killers, especially around the roof line.

On new and especially used, check everything. Get up on the roof and see look for soft spots, seals cracking and sun damage. Check all appliances, heaters, a/c, etc. Look underneath and see if the under liner has ever been cut or opened up. NEVER trust a dealer who says they have inspected everything.

Last, weather kills trailers. Sitting outside in the sun and rain will cut the life (and looks) in half. Good luck and understand that trailers are poorly built and are basically going through a 5.0 earthquake every time you tow them.

SDHNTR

WKR
At most price levels, they are all garbage. Of course Airstream and Arctic Fox stand out above the rest, in quality as well as price tag.

260madman

WKR
The best thing to do is go out and get in them. Open drawers and doors. There is a difference. Look at the stabilizers, location of connections for water, flushing and electrical. Tank size will probably be the same size on the trailers because they are small. Make sure the tire rating will support the full weight of the trailer. Expect to replace the tires in a couple of years if they are China bombs. Don’t fall for gimmicky led lights, you can add those pretty cheap.

Once you own the first one there will be a ton of things to look for on the next one. We own a Trail Lite Trek made by Monaco which is out of business but haven’t had any issues in 5 years of ownership. It’s our first TT and there’s things I’d do differently. The interior cabinets are definitely a step up from others we looked at.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've had a lot of experience with trailers, mostly 5th wheels though. A few things I can tell you is that most likely you are going to have at least a few problems even with brand new ones no matter the maker. I work closely with an RV repair facility and the owner says that the quality control from the factory is crap and the pre check by dealers is lacking. This mirrors what I have personally seen. He says that dealing with anything Forest River for warranty is a headache and Keystone is pretty good on warranty. Also, there is such a large profit margin written into what the dealers make that they able to cover the warranty problems that will inevitably arise. If at all possible buy a trailer from a local dealer that you can go back to for warranty issues. All dealers will tell you that you can take it to any dealer or warranty repair facility to have it repaired but that is an out right lie. Most dealers won't do work on something they haven't sold even though they are supposed to. At best, you will go to the back of the line. This is because the company pays so little and makes dealers jump through so many hoops on that they are losing money on warranty work.

I wouldn't be afraid of a used trailer although I would want a very good history, preferably from someone I trust. What its been used for, if its been stored inside, etc. Used trailers have usually had issues worked out and often have some cool, and expensive additions. If there is any sign of water leaks, and I mean any, walk away. Water leaks are trailer killers, especially around the roof line.

On new and especially used, check everything. Get up on the roof and see look for soft spots, seals cracking and sun damage. Check all appliances, heaters, a/c, etc. Look underneath and see if the under liner has ever been cut or opened up. NEVER trust a dealer who says they have inspected everything.

Last, weather kills trailers. Sitting outside in the sun and rain will cut the life (and looks) in half. Good luck and understand that trailers are poorly built and are basically going through a 5.0 earthquake every time you tow them.

I will add to this that with the surge in sales recently the fit and finish of new campers is pretty horrendous. We use a 2000 Jayco fifth wheel but my wife likes to look at newer models with an eye on when people dump all these campers they are buying. Factories are just dumping them out the door. Embarrassing quality, but they still sell.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
We bought a travel trailer a few months ago, had it about about 10 times so far. No major issues, few leaky fittings that just need to be tightened. IMO I won't bring it in for warranty work unless it's major. My weight is about 5k and I pull with a 1500, I wouldn't go much bigger IMO.

But yeah, they're mostly all junk and crappy QA from what I've heard. Mine was built on a Friday before a 3 day weekend during covid (9/4/20) so I'm waiting for something major to fail.

cnelk

WKR
Tires are junk, wiring is haphazard, plumbing is cheap, window latches break, so many hidden obstacles you won’t even discover until 1-2 years later.

They will definitely test your handyman abilities. But get thru the major issues and they can be a lot of fun.

Much like a boat, they have 2 great days. The day you buy it and the day you sell it

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Tires are junk, wiring is haphazard, plumbing is cheap, window latches break, so many hidden obstacles you won’t even discover until 1-2 years later.

They will definitely test your handyman abilities. But get thru the major issues and they can be a lot of fun.

Much like a boat, they have 2 great days. The day you buy it and the day you sell it
Been there done that on the boat. The second day was better.

Thanks for all the info guys. Seems like the quality (or lack of) is about equal amongst the brands. Not opposed to buying used but will for sure quiz the owner prior to purchase.

hflier

WKR
A year of finding and fixing all the problems (even if bought brand new) and then you will start to be OK. I wonder sometimes how much their warranty bills are? Just do it right the first time. But amazingly every manufacturer that I know of has crap quality. If I ever upgrade mine, the salesman will hate me as I am going to be spending a few hours in it inspecting every wire, pipe etc.

Ron

Grumman

WKR
A year of finding and fixing all the problems (even if bought brand new) and then you will start to be OK. I wonder sometimes how much their warranty bills are? Just do it right the first time. But amazingly every manufacturer that I know of has crap quality. If I ever upgrade mine, the salesman will hate me as I am going to be spending a few hours in it inspecting every wire, pipe etc.

Ron

I totally agree Ron. If I buy another one I will go to a dealer with multiples of the same model I want and spend hours going through and picking the best one, if any. I found so many issues on my new one once I got it home I couldn’t believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Dig around and find the RV Consumers Group and check out their ratings. Northwood manufacturing has decent ratings if I recall. Lotta junk out there. Buyer beware.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
They are all made pretty chinsy. That’s for sure. There is almost always a problem spot somewhere in every unit. If not at this time, then next time u use it.
That said, I love the ones I’ve had. Thermostat controlled heat! Running drinking water and a toilet. Stove and fridge/freezer. A HOT SHOWER! Are you kidding me?
currently have a 30’ toy hauler bought from a military couple. Yep, love it.
Issues? Sure. Like all of them do. Stay calm. Stay flexible. Be prepared to address small issues b4 they become bigger issues and enjoy.
Try and buy from a friend or someone u can really trust to give the good, the bad, and the ugly of their unit. It’s nice to have a heads up on a unit’s weak areas.

Elk97

WKR
Not sure what you are going to use it for but if you'll be out in freezing temps you should look for a 4 season trailer. The bottom is sealed in on a true 4 season trailer so the tanks and plumbing don't freeze. We've got a Nash 17k from Northwood and it's pretty good but still lots of cheap junk. Had to replace all the leaf springs and shackles after 5000 miles, tires were junk, etc. Of course I've had it on some of the worst roads imaginable so there is that...

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Mostly summer trips with the family, possibly fall hunting. Nothing super harsh weather-wise.

Really just tired of tenting with the entire family. Hunting out of a tent for a week, no problem. Approaching my mid 50's though and looking for a bit more comfort. 😁