Bigger pickup or smaller camper?

2five7

WKR
I pulled a 30' bumper pull (34' total) with an F150 Ecoboost a few times, truck had no problem moving it, or stopping it. Sea however, made it a nightmare to pull even with the best anti swat hitches. Sold it to my brother to pull with his f250 power stroke, he had the same problem. I'd avoid a bumper pull that long no matter what truck you have.

proselio

FNG
Long story shortish. Sold my house and was going to move into a rental while we waited to build a new house. Rental fell though and lined up another rental but couldn't get into it for 2 months so we bought a camper to live in for a couple months. . . We had to scramble when buying the camper because any good deal had 4 people wanting it within an hour of being posted. But we got a Goode deal on a used camper. The problem is it is a travel trailer and it weighs 7800lbs dry and I have an 06 half ton Chevy. Now it has a tow package and some extra suspension but we are definitely pushing the limits of towing capacity.

Now I need a new vehicle and hope to buy one later this year if some deals start popping up. . . But my question is do I buy a 2500 just to pull a camper 8-10 weekends a year or stick with a 1500 and look to trade into a lighter camper?

Now i live in Nebraska and will be camping mostly within 100 miles and mainly across flat ground for towing. Newer pickups could get me a towing capacity that is higher but is a half ton going to handle a 34ft camper weighing 8500-9000 loaded?

So go smaller or get a bigger pickup? I'd love to keep the camper as it meets our needs but I don't feel like a 3/4 ton makes a lot of sense for general life...on the flip side I don't want to over work s 1500 pulling too much weight.

I don't know enough about routine pulling beyond a cargo trailer, someone help me out on what you pull with your half ton and when you bump up to a 3/4 ton!
I have a 1500 and pulls a 22 ft trailer fine but regret not going diesel to pull with.

SWOHTR

WKR
Don’t forget the wind either. 100 miles of flat highways and highway speed winds on a 34 ft aluminum sail being pulled by a half ton seems like an unwise choice.

cgasner1

WKR
Use to have a half ton i out airbags on it pulled like a 3/4 ton amazing the difference it made those air lift bags are cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
You’re over capacity with that 06 and the big sail you’re towing makes it worse. Once loaded you’ll be 9,000+ lbs. Think of it as 9,000lbs of plywood stood up on end. Frontal area is a thing.

Nobody has ever towed a trailer and said, “I wish I had a smaller truck for towing”.

I have a 2500 Yukon and a 2500 Silverado both 6.0s. My camper is 8,000lbs loaded and pulls differently than a flatbed with a skid steer and equipment on a trailer. I use both to tow and won’t go back.

Weldor

WKR
Bigger truck, better control. 21 mpg in my 2018 megacab 4x4 empty. 15-16 towing 7000- 10000 lbs in az. Flat and mtn's. That 6.7 pulls like a dream.

Since you're the only one that knows what your preferences are, I can I only offer up what may be from a practical sense.

The camper purchase was a temporary spur of the moment get yourself out of a jam transaction. You wouldn't have bought this trailer "on purpose", so it doesn't make much sense to buy a bigger haul vehicle just to keep it.

If you're happy with your half ton, it would be better to sell the camper when it's time and get something that fits your needs and will accommodate the half ton. Sounds like you have plenty of time to decide and living in a camper will help you figure out what you do and don't want in one.

Elk97

WKR
As others have recommended you should either get a 3/4T (or 1T) to pull that trailer or downsize the trailer and use a half ton. I tow a heavy 25' LOA camper (7500#) with 900# tongue weight with a 2014 F150 and it works fine but I wouldn't want to pull anything longer or heavier with it. Bottom line really is if the wife likes the 34' camper she probably won't be happy with a smaller trailer so... looks like a 3/4 ton is in your future.

Your transmission in the truck you have will be toast in short order with pulling that camper. Trucks of that era were just not rated to tow that much, not even considering payload and transmissions.

I had an ‘04 Z71 with 3.73 gears and pulled a camper that was only 28’ and about 6000# gross and the transmission was toast within 8-10,000 miles with only occasional towing.

There’s no way even with a 34’ tongue pull that I would even consider a 1/2 ton to pull it with even though on paper they say they are rated to.

I currently pull a 34’ 5th wheel behind a 2500 Ram Cummins diesel and still wish I had stepped up to a 1 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EdP

WKR
Yup, I'm the grandpa with the `07 Ram 2500 with a 5.9l Cummins. Still in great shape just short of 200K miles and Its not for sale.

I have a landscape company and horses are a hobby. I’ve pulled a trailer 200 days a year for a few decades. Get the 3/4 ton with what your describing. Rarely do I hear someone say they wish they had a lighter truck when towing. In ideal conditions a half ton will get it done. As someone else mentioned payload is a real thing. When a big thunderstorm rolls up and the wind rips and your just finishing your second Hail Mary you won’t be second guessing buying the heavier more capable truck.

I think the question of the weight ratio between the pickup and the trailer is a critical component. Pulling big trailers on mtn passes with little trucks can be exciting. The second issue is the cooling system on the truck. I started with a 3/4 ton gas chevy. Some of the long passes with a full load made me pull over and cool it down before I got to the top.

Speaking of cooling things down, reducing the size of the trailer might lead to a temperature increase in your wife. Living in a little trailer versus camping in a little trailer can lead to life changing decisions.

I move horses in an 18 ft stock trailer. Having the axels in the center provides for a well balanced load. I have an 19 ft three horse trailer with the axels in the back. The balance and the load is completely differant.

I worked my way up to a 1 ton 4x4 diesel and will never go back. Your conditions are not as severe as mine but if you are going to tow that trailer, I think you need a bigger truck for longevity and safety.

Full timing in an RV is a much different scenario than camping/hunting occasionally. When we camp I find that we hardly spend much time inside the camper and more time outside. Small campers allow you to get into deeper tighter spots which I prefer.

If it is within legal limits and you feel safe with it, I would run the set up you have the few weekends a year you will be pulling

Brooks

WKR
If you really only plan on pulling it close to home then I guess your 1/2 ton will work but if you ever plan on going long distance then the right tool for the job is 3/4 or 1ton diesel, made to haul ! When your pulling a long grade in 100 degrees heat or in a big head wind the diesel will handle it and not over heat. The transmission will handle it too.