Treestand pack

What do you guys use for late season packs to carry all the bulky bibs/parka to stand? I've been sandwiching the full FL sanctuary bibs/parka between a seek outside frame and merlin but it's getting a little old to manage the straps and stuff slips through the straps occasionally.

I'm worried that something like the mystery ranch treehouse 38 wont have enough volume to get the insulation in there. I'm not interested in stuffing it in there crazy tight to make it fit, want easy in easy (quiet) out. This would be primarily for pre-set stands.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Had same issue in the real cold weather. I like to walk to stand without the bulky layers to avoid sweating, then put on the thick stuff, including boot blankets. I looked like a walking yard sale with stuff hanging off my pack everywhere.

Could not find a pack that would work...so I made one. The cold-weather layers are not heavy...just bulky, so my pack is perhaps not the most robust thing you've ever seen. Must be over 100L in volume, made of fleece...it's quiet, very simple, and it works well!

Had same issue in the real cold weather. I like to walk to stand without the bulky layers to avoid sweating, then put on the thick stuff, including boot blankets. I looked like a walking yard sale with stuff hanging off my pack everywhere.

Could not find a pack that would work...so I made one. The cold-weather layers are not heavy...just bulky, so my pack is perhaps not the most robust thing you've ever seen. Must be over 100L in volume, made of fleece...it's quiet, very simple, and it works well!
That’s a great idea,something I have noticed in the last few years is it’s hard to beat fleece in the whitetail woods,as long as it’s not raining.

Macintosh

WKR
I feel that, have a fl sanctuary bib and that sucker is BULKY! Its wild to me that with the visibility of “mobile hunting” no one-literally no one-makes quiet-fabric insulated gear with a focus on packability.

One thing you might try that I started doing is to get a BIG compression stuffsack, like one for a giant sleeping bag, or a big roll-top drybag. Put your bulky clothes in the big stuffbag, then either cinch it tight or lean on it while you roll it shut,, and carry the now-much tighter and contained bundle in your load shelf or pack. Its an extra step, but it keepps the yardsale to a minimum and allows for easy packing while still allowing you to minimize the bulk.

Yoder

WKR
I've tried a bunch of different big packs to carry clothes. Military surplus, Badlands internal frame, now I just use a small $20 pack from Walmart and bungee my clothes in between my small pack and my stand. If you use a couple bungee cords, your clothes won't fall off. It's quiet and easy to take off the stand.

TN2shot07

WKR
Following, surely there’s a good answer out there.

I’m trying it without packing the bibs, just walking in mostly unzipped. Pack the boot covers, puffy and jacket.

I’ve given some serious consideration to a pair of puffy pants to solve the pack ability then something soft over the top.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Got me thinking....pulled out my pack & measured; it's about 130 L / 8000 cu in. That's 3 to 4 times the size of a large whitetail day pack. Basically just a giant fleece sack with a drawstring top and shoulder straps.

Roll up vacuum bag might work. Possibly a bit noisy, but no more than climbing the tree and all the movement your doing anyway.

I've also used a GI surplus laundry bag. Put, golf ball, rubber ball or foam ball etc in the corners, tie a clove hitch on the top cinch and a slip not on the two tag ends, slip over the balls, Bob's your uncle.

I like the fleece idea, but too many Briars to have that much exposed.

Could also make your own out of a fleece blanket, through all the stuff in the middle, pit you balls in there, cinch it up and put the straps on it.

OP
wind gypsy
I messaged with pods8 (Rugged Stitching) a couple years ago when he was still doing custom sewing work and he wasn’t sure about what material would be quiet and durable for this application..

The code of silence options seem to be short on volume like some of the others.

This what the current halfass situation looks like with bibs, parka, saddle.
A52AFCBE-F6C1-43A7-A39A-74EB05983BCE.jpeg
12422C1C-38AC-4F14-8D23-FFD6AE378082.jpeg

Im having this same dilemma just in the mobile side of things. I currently use a Sitka tool belt and it comes with a stuff bag that you can attach to the bag and it has shoulder straps. Fit my sanctuary bib and jacket, and my Sitka traverse hoody in it this morning. Could really use a fleece stuff sack that you could compress down like a dry bag. Have been using this system for 2 years now and it's the best thing I've found so far.

I use the Kifaru Shape Charge and then sandwich the bulky layers between the outside of the pack and the Kifaru Sherman pocket. I will have to take pics when im home.

Macintosh

WKR
I messaged with pods8 (Rugged Stitching) a couple years ago when he was still doing custom sewing work and he wasn’t sure about what material would be quiet and durable for this application..

The code of silence options seem to be short on volume like some of the others.

This what the current halfass situation looks like with bibs, parka, saddle.
View attachment 628956
View attachment 628957
I see your problem. Its a common enough situation, should be easy to sort out. If you keep trying to stuff more and more bulky clothing in the back of that sxs it’ll burst at the seams. I recommend also utilizing the cab for storage, and if you have one the back seat. Then when you pull up to your stand you have everything organized for a stealthy climb to your stand.
You can thank me later.

I use a Kifaru scout. Works well. Can fit your mid layers inside and strap the outer layers to the outside of the pack.

Stryker xl carries my stand.
Orange grab it is where I stuff my outer layers. Extra base layer shirt goes in main compartment

OP
wind gypsy
I see your problem. Its a common enough situation, should be easy to sort out. If you keep trying to stuff more and more bulky clothing in the back of that sxs it’ll burst at the seams. I recommend also utilizing the cab for storage, and if you have one the back seat. Then when you pull up to your stand you have everything organized for a stealthy climb to your stand.
You can thank me later.

Ha! Not that i'm walking far anyway but thats just to haul deer out or if my dad with heart issues comes I can give him a ride to a blind. Doesn't come off the trailer most days.

I have been using the Kifaru Kutthroat for the last 2 years and have really liked it. I can stuff my sitka fanatic set, 2XL, along with the kifaru doobie in the main bag.