Truck Breaking Down in the Backcountry

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
All depends. I carry some tools and spare belts and such with me. Any major breaks, such as a drive shaft, would be a hike out and a hike back in to repair (hopefully I could arrange a ride using my inReach).

I don't have the equipment or the skill, but I know people in the off road community who have welded rigs back together in the field.

Rangers or wildlife troopers might be able to help, but I personally don't count on it.

yojo.3

FNG
Not truck but on a trip in alaska we were 4 wheeling in. 4 guys each on seperate 4 wheelers. One of them starts overheating on the way in. We were fighting rain and the sloppy trails the whole time while trying to move this 4 wheeler 10 minutes at a time. Pretty soon it just starts steaming. I dont remember what happened. i think the water pump cracked. We ditched the one 4 wheeler split fhat gear to the others and then he hopped on the back of mine. We got to a popular camping spot setting up the tent and our buddy hears someone nearby talking. goes over there to find out its his old roommate. explains to them what happened and they said they had just been out riding trails for a few days and leaving soon. Said they would leave us a 4wheeler when they were done. Next morning. 2 guys went to towthe ditched 4 wheeler back to the truck and get more gas since we were burning through more than we figured with the mud. We rode around with 4 guys on 3 for a day or two we came back to the camp and found the 4wheeler waiting for us with a 6 pack. Then on our way out my 4wheelerthe tie rod snapped about 300 yards from the trail head. I could see pickups. Was the last in line so had to wait for them to realize i wasnt behind them to come back. Rachet straped the tires straight and dragged me back. Then in the trailhead parking one guy drove through a puddle and there must have been some glass or something in there because it slashed a tire on his 4 wheeler. Then driving home we get a flat tire on the trailer.