ultralight bivy recommendation

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I am debating about one of these since REI is having a 20% off sale right now. Not a bivy, but a little more spacious and still fairly light. They also make a 2-person version.

oafCB4d.png

Very happy with my bora. Have run a few I’ve the year - USGI, SOL, OR. For the weight, borah is fantastic.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just my 2 cents , the full nest in the cimarron seems to make the wives real happy and makes a real good regular old camp. I’ve used it in Hawaii , In Big Bend and it’s my fast car camp setup really .

The silex with nest is pretty sweet for solo . The Eolus works well for two people

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have been, I just emailed them to ask when they were going to be in stock, and I got a response within 48hrs that they had one ready to go out if I wanted it.

FWIW - I use an Outdoor Research Helium Bivy from time to time (it's lives in my mountain rescue pack). It's heavier than some mentioned here but it's also a stand-alone stormworthy shelter. It breathes well, for a bivy, although if I was in the market now I would probably choose the OR Stargazer for the side zip. I'm very intrigued by the Borah Bivy though for use with my SlingFin Split Wing (OEM for the Stone Glacier Sky Air) tarp when I go that route.

awesome thanks was also looking at the MSR e bivy so can also use under a tarp solo. I will check out the bug bivy thanks a bunch

I have an e-bivvy and its fantistic for the weight. I've used the bigger one msr makes and it's also good. I'm not sure what the borah is like but i'd be concerned about condensation with the a bivvy bag. If you are taking a tarp as well the bivvy bag will just dampen your sleeping bag over time. I think a mosquito/bug net might be a better option.

Poser

WKR
Outdoor research alpine bivy a good option for lightweight waterproof shelter?

It is a good bivy. I have a much older version of it that I have used a lot over the years, however, I keep looking at the weight when considering a new one, I believe it’s 20 oz, and you have a lot of options for shelters in that weight range. In most situations, it seems that I can come in lighter with a lightweight bivy and tarp combo. Unless you’re going to be out sleeping in the alpine and there are high winds, getting in and out of bed under a tarp is way better in bad weather than an exposed bivy sack. I’ve done it on climbing trips and it can be a brute affair when you have to piss really bad in a hail storm or the alarm clock goes off and it’s dumping snow.

Gbuilder

FNG
I am debating about one of these since REI is having a 20% off sale right now. Not a bivy, but a little more spacious and still fairly light. They also make a 2-person version.

oafCB4d.png

Did you end up buying? 30% right now and looking myself. I'm between this and a borah bivy + tarp combo