UM TIKKA Scope Rings

Trying to install mine today. Did the two threaded pins replace the need for the two non threaded pins that come in the same plastic bag in the box? If not, where do they go? Thanks!

amassi

WKR
Can be used In combination, you don’t “need” any of them, they were tested with just the clamps and passed.
Threaded go in screw holes
Smooth in the pin holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back one went in smooth as butter with both threaded pins. Front one won’t go past a certain point (before the intended stopping point). I’ve tried the two threaded locations. Anybody run into this?IMG_8174.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8173.jpeg
    IMG_8173.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 55

amassi

WKR
You don’t need a tap
Clean the threads with acetone and it’ll probably go in, mine did, if not run a screw soaked in acetone in and out and viola clean threads

Dobermann

WKR
And I recommend people really take note of Jake's point about not running the front ring too far along the dovetail, to where it moves off-line. He wasn't joking when he said this can damage your rings - I placed mine by eye to get a rough idea of spacing, just gently hand-tightened (no torque wrench), and the very edge of the ring and clamp bent out to form two small but nasty sharp jags.. I must have been out by only half a millimetre or so, but it was enough to form a burr on each side.

Mating the front threaded pin hole to the front slot in the ring base helps to prevent this - it stops the front ring going too far forwards.

lintond

WKR
I have a set without the recoil pins or finishing to insure they work. Shot today with 15 or so drops and so far, so good.

View attachment 557699

[mention]Formidilosus [/mention] I’m mounting the same ATACR 4-16 with a carbon barrel. Do you think the lows will work or do I need medium?

The lows look pretty tight on that steel barrel.

Mounting chart says lows but wanted to cross reference before purchasing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
[mention]Formidilosus [/mention] I’m mounting the same ATACR 4-16 with a carbon barrel. Do you think the lows will work or do I need medium?

The lows look pretty tight on that steel barrel.

Mounting chart says lows but wanted to cross reference before purchasing.

I believe you will be fine with lows.

And I recommend people really take note of Jake's point about not running the front ring too far along the dovetail, to where it moves off-line. He wasn't joking when he said this can damage your rings - I placed mine by eye to get a rough idea of spacing, just gently hand-tightened (no torque wrench), and the very edge of the ring and clamp bent out to form two small but nasty sharp jags.. I must have been out by only half a millimetre or so, but it was enough to form a burr on each side.

Mating the front threaded pin hole to the front slot in the ring base helps to prevent this - it stops the front ring going too far forwards.
I did the same thing finger tight only and gouged them pretty bad… did not expect that… I was just trying to figure out the correct pin location, and that’s the wrong way to do it

Back one went in smooth as butter with both threaded pins. Front one won’t go past a certain point (before the intended stopping point). I’ve tried the two threaded locations. Anybody run into this?View attachment 628901

Mine wont go all the way in because it had some machining or slag hanging off the tip that doesnt let it get to full depth. Should be an easy pass with a file to address it but i haven't had one handy the two times I've mounted a scope in the rings.

My temporary solution was just pushing the front of the ring tight to it rather than having it in a dedicated slot:
8D9B4D27-0057-48A9-BA68-DDA208C9C5A9.jpeg

Last edited:
I just put a set of these on a new Tikka. I had to clean the treads to get rid of plastic crap left in there from the plugs. Once I got rid of the plastic they screwed right in with no issue.

Love them so far.

Mine wont go all the way in because it had some machining or slag hanging off the tip that doesnt let it get to full depth. Should be an easy pass with a file to address it but i haven't had one handy the two times I've mounted a scope in the rings.

My temporary solution was just pushing the front of the ring tight to it rather than having it in a dedicated slot:
View attachment 643968
I had the same issue - UM had me run a 1/8 drill bit counter clockwise lightly by hand in the receiver hole to clean the top edge and it threaded right in.