Uncomfortable on blow up sleeping pad! Any tips?

EDIT: This thread is for backcountry sleeping, not car camping. Not going to carry a three pound mat into the woods. For car camping I sleep on two layers of memory foam queen mattress toppers. :)

I have three different sleeping pads and have tried another. They are all fairly uncomfortable for me. Any tips for improving comfort on these pads? I know I can adjust the air to make them mold better to my body. I've also mounded up pine needles under my tent to frame my body. I have a long, heavy torso with relatively short legs. Also have a pokey butt. So on my back I feel like I'm doing a backbend. On my side, I feel like I'm balancing on a beach ball with my lower body up in the air.

1. Neoair X-Lite Wide: Oval-shaped pad. All of the above problems. When I let out enough air to be comfortable on my side my hip gets cold and sometimes touches the ground.

2. Neoair X-Therm Max: Much better, but on my back still feel like I am doing a backbend. When I let out enough air to be comfortable on my side my hip gets cold and sometimes touches the ground.

3. Neoair Trail Lite Large (self-inflatable closed cell foam): Best feeling of the bunch but a thin, silly heavy, and R-value of only 3.2

- Is digging a small hole for my butt a good solution?
- Learn to sleep on them over time?
- Hunt harder and you can sleep anywhere? Actually this one is probably correct.
- Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Tagging along.

Only thing I try is not inflating it as much. But honestly some nights I wonder why I brought one as the ground would seem as comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
The more tired, the better I sleep...so true

My best pad is a BA AXL insulated Wide(3.5” thick). When I’m having issues, like yourself. I elevate my legs with my pack/puffy etc. this seems to help the issue for me.

Give the big agnes q core deluxe a look. Im a side sleeper so the 3.5 inch thickness made a world of difference for me. Ive tried many pads and this is the most comfortable for me with a reasonably good r value.

OP
Mike Islander
Just tried elevating my legs by putting my empty pack under the pad. This seemed to be a huge improvement. I will try it in the woods soon.

jhim

FNG
I have a similar issue to what you are describing. If I am laying flat on my pad my lower back pinches and becomes very uncomfortable. So I just started laying my boots down under the foot of my pad and that small amount of elevation fixes it.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same experience with Neoair and Klymit products- switched to a prolite plus and slept like a baby in the woods for the first time since I was a kid.

Rob5589

WKR
Melatonin. I use an Exped that is 3" thick, have some minor back issues, and sleep on my side. It's great for what it is but I wouldn't call it comfortable. One biggie I realized last season, make sure your head is slightly elevated compared to your feet.

*zap*

WKR
The self inflating pads which have foam in the are more comfortable for me but they are heavier, my klymit 30" wide r-5 is not too bad at all for a pad without foam. want to try an exped downmat but the price is kinda steep.

Jbehredt

WKR
You’ve tried 3 pads but none of them are built to be especially comfortable. Sea to summit comfort plus or a thick exped 7 would be my next move. You’ll obviously pay a weight penalty but they were designed to be more comfortable and therefore heavier. I’ve got a big Agnes deluxe and an xtherm rolled up for good on the shelf and use my sea to summit exclusively even though it is nearly twice as heavy.

*zap*

WKR
My thermarest basecamp is very comfy but 3+#. My luxury map is 4+#. Both of those are a solid r-6. The + of a self inflater that has foam is if you have an unfixable leak you still have the foam.

I have back issues and have tried a couple different pads...I put a ultra light cot on my Christmas list...wanna give one a try..

Clarence

WKR
Agree with many of the comments above. All of your pads are on the thinner side. Having a thicker pad would give you the ability to let some air out and allow the pad to contour and support your body better. Putting your puffy and extra clothes in a stuff sak under your legs, to relieve pressure on your lower bag helps me a ton as well. But at the end of the day I would sell those pads to a young person and get yourself something a lb heavier that you will sleep well on! My .02

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I dumped my neoair because of noise. Tried other thermarest. Tried klymit. Ended up with a sea to summit enter lite. 4” thick and the most comfortable pad I have found. I haven’t slept on anything else since I bought it. I also pair mine with some sort of closed cell pad in most cases. Thermarest z lite or a Marty mcmatface. That doubles as my sit pad and protects the inflatable. Blow outs that you can’t patch can make for miserable trips.

rayporter

WKR
this.
if you are getting cold you need more insulation. you hip is telling you that..

i always have a closed cell with me to pair with my main sleeping pad but i put it on top of the air pad for the max insulation.

I also pair mine with some sort of closed cell pad in most cases. Thermarest z lite or a Marty mcmatface. That doubles as my sit pad and protects the inflatable. Blow outs that you can’t patch can make for miserable trips.

mlgc20

WKR
The Neoair pads are great for saving weight. And the Xtherm Max has awesome R-value. But IMO, the horizontal baffles just aren’t nearly as comfortable as the vertical baffles of Exped or the “quilted” baffles of some of the Big Agnes pads. I still use my Neoair, when weight is the highest priority. But, I can usually talk myself into carrying a few extra ounces to not dread going to sleep.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
The more tired, the better I sleep...so true

My best pad is a BA AXL insulated Wide(3.5” thick). When I’m having issues, like yourself. I elevate my legs with my pack/puffy etc. this seems to help the issue for me.

Also a fan of BA pads. Mine rolls up small and is light and comfortable for what it is