Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODB

WKR
Spot on in a lot of ways. I’ve personally seen the same more than enough where the photo op is the goal, not actually getting your hands dirty. I’ve never bought a single piece of Kuiu clothing but that willl change in the future in large part because of their Conservation Direct program. D like to see it have some projects beyond sheep but they’re doing more than a lot of others

It also seems Matt triggered a few influencers based on social media posts where they’re calling foul for hunters criticizing other hunters

They need to talk to Natasha Illum Berg then. She has been heavily critical of some hunting practices. And I mean heavy.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
It also seems Matt triggered a few influencers based on social media posts where they’re calling foul for hunters criticizing other hunters
If they can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. That old line of "don't divide hunters" is the lamest bullshit excuse for people to hide behind.

I take these comments, assess them in the context of what we do and what we hope to accomplish, and then use that process to try craft a better product. That's how business works. Create a better message and do more toward what the customer (audience) is asking for and do it while sticking to you business plan.

Nobody owes any of us in the media world a like, a share, or a living. I've been self-employed most my entire adult life. If I can't handle the realities of operating a business, I should be flipping Big Macs (and nothing against the hard working folks at Mickey D's).

ODB

WKR
If they can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. That old line of "don't divide hunters" is the lamest bullshit excuse for people to hide behind.

I take these comments, assess them in the context of what we do and what we hope to accomplish, and then use that process to try craft a better product. That's how business works. Create a better message and do more toward what the customer (audience) is asking for and do it while sticking to you business plan.

Nobody owes any of us in the media world a like, a share, or a living. I've been self-employed most my entire adult life. If I can't handle the realities of operating a business, I should be flipping Big Macs (and nothing against the hard working folks at Mickey D's).

This is correct. Steve Jobs once referred to this idea as tossing rocks (ideas) into a tumbler. There is a lot of heat, friction, sparks, etc. when the tumbler is rolling, but the end result is a polished rock that looks a hell of a lot better than what went in.

I’m not defending Instagram hunters, just referring to the hunting “community” at large. Either we figure it out, or it will be figured out for us. I’ll opt for the former.

TheTone

WKR

Couldn’t agree more. Who better to clean up hunter actions and behavior than other hunters. It beats having things decided for us by those without knowledge or skin in the game

This is interesting, I'd love to hear some of the influencer's reaction to this. Any examples you can point to or where one would look to find those comments? It would help someone who doesn't have FB, IG, and doesn't "follow" anyone on social media sites?

TheTone

WKR
Can you please share who and where? I don't have accounts on most of these but would be interesting to find out where people stand.
Dan Staton, cam Hanes and matzinger are ones I follow that got butt hurt so far. Dan even had to do a hurry up podcast rebuttal. I may have to give it a humor listen.

Nobody should really care what I think, so the following is probably nothing more than fingertip exercises.

This little article/opinion piece by Rinella is the first thing I've ever read by anyone with that last name. People have asked me why....

I don't listen to podcasts.
I don't have a FB account.
I don't have IG.
I don't tweet.
I don't follow anyone on YouTube...or in the woods.
I send 'likes' only with a handshake.
I don't write a book, do seminars or speak to audiences.
I don't belong to certain organizations.
I don't watch hunting videos anywhere.
I didn't know about someone killing a big something.
I didn't measure and score any animal I ever killed.

I'm honestly more than tired by those who are transparent in their desire for attention, applause, glory, endorphins, likes, clicks, views and the vanity at the core of it all. "I'm trying to inspire others." Right. "I want to show how trophy hunting is conservation at work." Right. "I don't care if anyone sees this...I'm just passionate about hunting." Right-Right.

I just hunt for the value in the act of hunting and killing an animal for some useful purpose. I will never apologize for loving antlers, but I don't associate them with status. I don't take it to conventional social media sites except maybe here and Bowsite which are dedicated forums. Even then I'm selective and not simply 'I killed this critter' posting. I'm literally one of those guys who wouldn't miss social media if it completely vanished, and I would continue to hunt (and fish) if there wasn't another soul to know about it.

And that said, I appreciate and admire the true sportsmen here who understand you get OUT of it what you put INTO it, The real reward is found in blisters, memories, meals and maybe antlers....while inboxes and excited electrons are nothing more than butterfly kisses.

TheTone

WKR
Matt’s latest podcast with Blood Origins is bloody fantastic. Anyone wants to know exactly what he thinks, listen in.
I wished it was longer. He mentioned a couple things he wanted to get to and they didn’t. Hope we get another soon

Dan Staton, cam Hanes and matzinger are ones I follow that got butt hurt so far. Dan even had to do a hurry up podcast rebuttal. I may have to give it a humor listen.

Matt Rinella went on Blood Origins podcast and took shots at Dan. Most of the rebuttal was about that and correcting false statements. Opinions are allowed but you shouldn’t make statements that are factually wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wished it was longer. He mentioned a couple things he wanted to get to and they didn’t. Hope we get another soon
I almost spit coffee all over my computer. Matt talking about Joe Rogan hunting on guided private ranches:

"When Joe Rogan goes hunting it's like a kid who went to Disneyland and rode Space Mountain then goes and tells everyone he's now an astronaut"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Poser

WKR

I have grown to resent the old “don’t divide hunters” line. I’ve come to realize that I despise many people in this world walking around calling themselves hunters. If I disagree with a person philosophically, I’m not going to give them a pass because they happen to be a hunter. We’re not a tribe and we ain’t brother just because we share the same hobby. A shitty person is a shitty person.

Elkangle

WKR
Kinda feel like you guys are getting sucked into an eco chamber...your comparing one hunt to the next...one hunter to the next....I can't even compare my own hunts...they are all different with different challenges and dynamics...some come easy and some come incredibly hard...just gotta appreciate it for what it is...no different then looking at Joe Rogan or randy ulmer...appreciate them for what they are and youl live a better life...hunting is what YOU MAKE IT....not MATT

Stop trying to stand on people's shoulders...its a long fall

Status
Not open for further replies.