Unlimited PTO?!?

CorbLand

WKR
Yep. We got asked to pave on a sunday and the crew said no. An wise old man told the owner of the company that exact phrase we work so we can live we dont live to work. We didnt pave.
I took a job that I was working 60-70s pretty regularly. I noticed really quick that anytime I found a way to get done sooner, more work showed up and that I could honestly never make my boss happy.

Part of my job was tracking down and inventorying computers. A lot of our employees were remote, working all over the state. I found 246 of 250 the computers, 3 were lost or stolen according to the employee and I could never get the other employee to respond with a picture of the computer. Two weeks before I had to submit the final report she stopped by my office and chewed me out because I couldnt verify that the 3 computers were actually stolen (not really sure how she wanted me to do that) and that I couldnt get the last employee to respond (she lived four hours away, and I asked if they would pay for me to drive to her house and wait for her to show up?) It was a joke overall. I made it six months before finding something else and quitting.

I told them same thing when I quit. Took a job in a different department, have worked one week over 40, due to going on vacation for a week and needing to get something done, dont manage anyone, dont deal with employees and make the same amount of money. Win ******* win in my book.

Last edited:
My wife has one of these jobs....

A friend has a successful family business and they have traditionally not paid bonuses to anyone taking time off - any time off - and everyone knows it. Don’t like it - work somewhere else.
Most people that have education and/or skills would not work there if that is how they were treated for using leave.

Drenalin

WKR
He must have been on a 15 minute break.
83tasz.jpg

KurtR

WKR
Haha, as a civil engineer, I actually get nervous when contractors want to pave this late in the year unless there is an abnormal streak of warm dry weather. I would much rather wait until the spring when the asphalt plants open back up.
All the plants up here are portables so most people want to be done and move them back to the yard to work on them over the winter but everyone acts surprised when winter shows up like it doesnt happen every year. SDDOT is october 15th but we just finished a job yesterday in the nick of time they will extend seasonal limitations if it benefits them. Paving in cold weather sucks all together especially with polymer oils.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
The concept of this blows my mind. Imagine how much work you would get done if you were actually working? If people can take two months off, maybe they need more to do.
lol this is an opinion with no nuance.

The perks of being an ethical hacker

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
It's so weird to me that there are so many people seemingly annoyed that some people get paid vacation. Like you're some kind of loser if you consider the benefits when deciding whether or not to accept a job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Haters

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
It's so weird to me that there are so many people seemingly annoyed that some people get paid vacation. Like you're some kind of loser if you consider the benefits when deciding whether or not to accept a job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
If I’m suffering you have to suffer too

Yoder

WKR
This is ironic given that it was posted during working hours.
Not really. I should be doing more. Companies have such low expectations for their employees, it's ridiculous. The place where I work, forced me to get vaccinated to keep my job, (it's a factory not medical) just laid off some of my friends and now is making us take mandatory time off to save money and our medical insurance is complete garbage. They can suck it. I'm not in a position to relocate right now so I just have to deal with it.

I'm not knocking anyone for taking time off. It's freaking awesome. You chose well in your career.

Drenalin

WKR
Not really. I should be doing more. Companies have such low expectations for their employees, it's ridiculous. The place where I work, forced me to get vaccinated to keep my job, (it's a factory not medical) just laid off some of my friends and now is making us take mandatory time off to save money and our medical insurance is complete garbage. They can suck it. I'm not in a position to relocate right now so I just have to deal with it.

I'm not knocking anyone for taking time off. It's freaking awesome. You chose well in your career.
I'm not criticizing you for screwing off on Rokslide during working hours...I'm doing it too.

cjdewese

WKR

This sounds exactly like my company. We have had the last week of the year between Christmas and New Years off for the past two years and was told thisbyear and moving forward they are making that time off mandatory but you have to use PTO. Bunch of crap if you ask me, I earned it I should be able to choose when I use it.

I am worried that they will eventually go to unlimited PTO because theybhave said in meetings that the amount of PTO balances employees have is a pretty large liability on their books. We shall see

MattB

WKR
I'm not criticizing you for screwing off on Rokslide during working hours...I'm doing it too.
I thought you were just reiterating the criticism from post #54 about employees that don’t actually work and need more to do.

Yoder

WKR
I thought you were just reiterating the criticism from post #54 about employees that don’t actually work and need more to do.
I think most companies would agree with that statement.

Drenalin

WKR
No, I was just pointing out the irony.

I think any gap between my opinion and @Yoder's opinion is that he thinks employees need more to do, whereas I think most of us have plenty to do, but lack the motivation to focus and get it done. A good portion of participants on this thread and this forum are living proof that we'd rather be doing something else, but will settle for simply screwing off on the interwebs while someone else foots the bill.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR

A good friend works at VMware and is preparing to get laid off post-Broadcom merger, which is supposed to close at the end of this month. Presuming that is where you are considering jumping to, make sure you fit into the long-term vision before making a move. Apparently Broadcom is cheap as hell and makes decisions that are penny-wise and pound-foolish when running its businesses.
lol I’m not going to vm ware
Thank you though

CorbLand

WKR

I think any gap between my opinion and @Yoder's opinion is that he thinks employees need more to do, whereas I think most of us have plenty to do, but lack the motivation to focus and get it done. A good portion of participants on this thread and this forum are living proof that we'd rather be doing something else, but will settle for simply screwing off on the interwebs while someone else foots the bill.
My employers job is to hire me for the least amount of money for the most work.

My job is to get the most amount of money for the least amount of work.

Yoder

WKR

I actually think you are right. The other side of it is I think most companies don't expect enough from their employees. The bar is set so low, if you are competent and show up on time they don't ask for a lot more than that. As an example, I get all the normal stuff done at work every day. Nobody needs to tell me to do anything. Anything extra that they ask for I take care of it. Any machine that is down for something nobody else can figure out, the majority of the time I can fix it. I consistently get rated as one of our top guys, if not the top guy. I'm not bragging, it's just a fact. Saying all that, I'm probably putting in 60-70% effort. So when you know in your heart you could do way more and they keep telling you that you are awesome it's actually a huge morale killer. I need to find a job doing something I care about. The widget factory just isn't doing it for me anymore.