Upper Body Layering System

holzgene

FNG
Favorite base layer/mid layer/outer layer/insulation layer? I'm leaning towards Sitka just because I can go physically try it on at a local store.

Little info on your intended use will help refine the answers. For western montana this is what I use from August through December.

short sleeve first lite 150 wick or Sitka core lightweight or KUIU 118
Kuiu Peloton 97
Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody
SKRE Ptarmigan Hooded
Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket
Those above get me through just about everything August to mid October or November. Once it really gets cold and wet or snowy I’ll add a Sitka Jetstream Jacket. Once I add the Jetstream the rain jacket is probably coming out of the pack. Now I don’t do much sitting and glassing or I might add another puffy late in the year. Wind is the biggest challenge for me and the 240 hoody is really the only piece out there that acts like a fleece and stops almost all of the wind unless it’s really blowing hard. I can always adjust for temperature but the wind will cut through the best layering system without something stopping it. I don’t like wearing my rain jacket to stop the wind unless I have to do the 240 and Jetstream take care of that.
Sitkas closest system would be
Core lightweight SS
Core Heavyweight or midweight
Timberline jacket (not going to breathe like a 240), I would probably do a kelvin active here instead but it stops zero wind because it breathes so well
Sitka kelvin lite puffy (not as warm as the SKRE,
Maybe close with core heavyweight and kelvin active)
Cloudburst rain Jacket could also do the Dewpoint
Add the Jetstream late

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Little info on your intended use will help refine the answers. For western montana this is what I use from August through December.

short sleeve first lite 150 wick or Sitka core lightweight or KUIU 118
Kuiu Peloton 97
Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody
SKRE Ptarmigan Hooded
Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket
Those above get me through just about everything August to mid October or November. Once it really gets cold and wet or snowy I’ll add a Sitka Jetstream Jacket. Once I add the Jetstream the rain jacket is probably coming out of the pack. Now I don’t do much sitting and glassing or I might add another puffy late in the year. Wind is the biggest challenge for me and the 240 hoody is really the only piece out there that acts like a fleece and stops almost all of the wind unless it’s really blowing hard. I can always adjust for temperature but the wind will cut through the best layering system without something stopping it. I don’t like wearing my rain jacket to stop the wind unless I have to do the 240 and Jetstream take care of that.
Sitkas closest system would be
Core lightweight SS
Core Heavyweight or midweight
Timberline jacket (not going to breathe like a 240), I would probably do a kelvin active here instead but it stops zero wind because it breathes so well
Sitka kelvin lite puffy (not as warm as the SKRE,
Maybe close with core heavyweight and kelvin active)
Cloudburst rain Jacket could also do the Dewpoint
Add the Jetstream late
Good point! Actually it just happens to be, I was intending this for Western Montana, elk/mule deer

*zap*

WKR
So much depends on what type of hunting your doing. Mostly aerobically active, mostly stationary and aerobically active in/out with stationary sitting while hunting. For my stationary hunting I am usually walking in a bit so I want warm and packable clothes for sitting and light breathable clothes for walking. For extreme cold I give up on the warm/packable and just go for very warm and lots of insulation. Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu have great options for each scenario. The entire Kuiu Peleton collection from light to heavy is very good, imo. First Lite Uncomphagre is very packable and pretty warm/wind resistant. Sitka Fanatic is a good outer system. Cabelas Stand Hunter is not very pack friendly but the bibs are my go to when it is extremely cold and I am stand hunting, HBS is also a good option for warm in very cold if you can get used to sitting in a bag.

I’m a FL guy so that’s all I have to base my experiences from.

I’ll usually wear a long sleeve Llano top, beanie and a set of kanabs for movement.

Once I get where I’m going or anytime I’m static, I’ll throw on a chama and my puffy jacket. I use my puffy pants if it’s really cold or windy. I also make a cup of coffee.

I also use my layers to sleep in. I run a 30* EE convert so I’ll sleep in a lightweight base layer top and bottom. If that’s not enough I’ll through the puffy set on.

I try not to take too much clothing out on a hunt, it gets heavy. Unlike most guys, I’m about a 45min drive to the house from where I hunt so......

ChrisAU

WKR
This worked extremely well for me last week:

FL Wick 150 S/S
Kuiu Peloton 97 QZ L/S
Kuiu Strongfleece 260 Hoody L/S
Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Puffy Hoody
OR Helium II Rain Jacket

As I got colder, I went down that list. If I got hot, I started taking them off in reverse order. The 97 isn't necessary, but was nice when I wanted just a bit of insulation and some sleeves, and at 4.5 oz I didn't notice it in the pack.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Appreciate the responses! Sounds like I'm going to have to get some KUIU gear.

tlkaetz

WKR
Hot/Mild Weather:

Icebreaker 150 Merino SS Crew
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket

Cold Weather:
Icebreaker 150 Merino SS Crew
Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket
Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite's Wick QZ top
FL's Klamath hoody
Cabellas Lookout Fleece soft shell
As it gets colder I'll add
KUIU Peloton 240
FLs Uncompagre

Last edited:

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I find difficult to guess is sizes as I buy the mid to outer layers. Even if I’m trying on in store, without all the lower layers, I’m not sure on size. What has everyone experienced? Same size, say Medium, from T through shell? Or are you going to L at some layer on out? I don’t expect a universal rule. My experience has varied. And I don’t have any brand consistency either. My eclectic top layers include Icebreaker, TNF, UA, Cabela’s, Eddie Bauer, Arcteryx, wildFowler.