USA vs Overseas Made Packs - Is The Extra Cost Worth It?

What Pack Are You Most Likely To Buy If They Are The SAME Pack

• I'd purchase a 100% USA made pack with frame for around $700.

Votes: 85 70.8%
  • I'd purchase an overseas made pack (probably Vietnam ) with a USA frame for around $450.

Votes: 35 29.2%

• Total voters

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Rokslide,

As many of you know AKEK is in the process of moving its manufacturing to the USA. We expect our USA made frame to be available soon.

After contacting countless USA factories, the cost for our unique design is quite expensive. We would like some feedback from Rokslide on what best describes your purchasing motives.

Please answer the poll and comment.

I’m all for USA made, but going into that price range bumps you into some serious competition you likely don’t have at your current (SG/SO/Kifaru/Exo). Is your pack good enough/different enough to compete?

@AKEK
Are you a US pack manufacturer? I really hope this isn’t a poll set up for you to decide if you are or aren’t going to move manufacturing overseas.

I quick look at your website makes me believe they aren’t currently US made and you are thinking of bringing manufacturing here. I’d personally support a business that makes that choice. Even for an extra $130.

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Id vote for USA but then Id be a hypocrite since my kuiu pack clearly has Made in Vietnam written on it…. Its also clearly not a comparable pack to the $700 made in America packs that Ive seen on my friend’s backs. As much as Id love all made in the USA products, budget cant always go that way right off the bat. 10+ years into backpack hunting and I still havent upgraded my sleeping bag from a 650 fill 2.5 lb to a nicer one…

OP
AKEK

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
@AKEK
Are you a US pack manufacturer? I really hope this isn’t a poll set up for you to decide if you are or aren’t going to move manufacturing overseas.

I quick look at your website makes me believe they aren’t currently US made and you are thinking of bringing manufacturing here. I’d personally support a business that makes that choice. Even for an extra $130.
We currently have our packs made overseas. We are in the process of moving to USA manufacturing. The cost is closer to $250 - $300 extra to move to USA made. We started a poll to see the biggest purchasing factors for backpack users. Thanks for the feedback!

We currently have our packs made overseas. We are in the process of moving to USA manufacturing. The cost is closer to $250 - $300 extra to move to USA made. We started a poll to see the biggest purchasing factors for backpack users. Thanks for the feedback!
That’s awesome! I would pay an extra $250 - $300 for an all USA made product.

OP
AKEK

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Id vote for USA but then Id be a hypocrite since my kuiu pack clearly has Made in Vietnam written on it…. Its also clearly not a comparable pack to the $700 made in America packs that Ive seen on my friend’s backs. As much as Id love all made in the USA products, budget cant always go that way right off the bat. 10+ years into backpack hunting and I still havent upgraded my sleeping bag from a 650 fill 2.5 lb to a nicer one…
Great feedback and thanks for your honesty! We know everyone wants USA made products of course... but even though many say one thing data often shows different results.

nobody

WKR
I would purchase 100% Made in the USA, but being made in the USA wouldn't be enough for me to justify $700.00 on its own. It needs to be made in the USA AND of impeccable, dare I say it, perfect quality and functionality. At that price point, I won't compromise AT ALL on features and build quality, even with an American Flag sewn into the pack lid. It's a common misconception that "made in the USA" is the end all be all, but I think most of can compare something like a Tikka vs a Remington and know which one is the winner. So yes, I would purchase one with that caveat in mind.

bsnedeker

WKR
Out of curiosity I just threw together a quick day-pack from Kifaru....frame and bag came out to around 750 bucks.

The market is there if the quality is there and it's 100% made in the USA.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm not a business owner so take this for what it's worth. At a minimum, hold off and see where your pack goes sales wise. Made in America isn't a guaranteed significant sales boost. You may find a missing niche (quality pack at a mid price point) that people are often looking for regardless of manufacture location. Not everyone wants or can afford to drop 700+ on a pack. So something between say an Alps Outdoorz and Exo/Kifaru/SG could be a segment worth dominating.

CCooper

WKR
Agree with others above the $700 pack arena will offer-up some pretty stiff competition. I would recommend donating as many as you can to some folks here that do gear reviews/ pack shoot-out's and be prepared for the feedback- good, bad, or otherwise. I have paid this for a pack before and would again, but it better be the shit. The upside is packs are like boots, each one fits a little different and work better/ worse for different people.

honestly, at 700$ you are competing with quite a few heavy hitters- SG, Exo, Kifaru. I’d think being a new pack manufacturer coming in at as low of a price point as possible to gain market share would be a good move, otherwise I’d honestly just buy another more well established pack. One thing to consider is that it seems like RS has a higher income user base than the average hunter, so your replies may be skewed to those that have more disposable income. Honestly I think you’d be much more competitive moving the frame overseas as well to hit at a better value price point as opposed to trying to compete in a crowded marketplace.

svivian

WKR
I'm not a business owner so take this for what it's worth. At a minimum, hold off and see where your pack goes sales wise. Made in America isn't a guaranteed significant sales boost. You may find a missing niche (quality pack at a mid price point) that people are often looking for regardless of manufacture location. Not everyone wants or can afford to drop 700+ on a pack. So something between say an Alps Outdoorz and Exo/Kifaru/SG could be a segment worth dominating.
This, honestly we don't really need another option in that price range. I think there is a huge market in the $350-$500 range that could use some options. Have the frame made over seas and the bags here in the USA.

pc3

WKR
If possible offer both...people can opt to have a US made frame and bag , or a OS made frame and US bag. Covers both types of consumers. There is a gym equipment retailer here in Oz that does the same thing, offers exactly the same power rack in either Chinese build or 100% Australian made. Where I can I try not to buy Chinese stuff although hard/unavoidable at times.

Just to add......Vietnam way better choice than China (steer clear of China if you can), the eberlestock stuff I have owned is of excellent standard. If you have to go that way I'd rather a US frame (the frame is important for mine and an Vietnam made bag I think...assuming it's as well made as the eberlestock stuff.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Your pack looks very good. It needs a hook….something that makes it undeniably better in some way.

If values for price is your game, you are competing against Wildernes Pack Specialties and they are berry compliant….as in made in USA of USA materials.

My first piece of advice is to review your website for photographic conten. You need way more pictures. Pictures in use, pictures highlighting quality of materials, pictures highlighting features, pictures of insides of pockets, bags, etc.

Frankly, it looks pretty cool. Wish I would have seen it before I bought my WPS….although, at the same price, WPS is made made in America.