Wall tenrs

gkempf

FNG
Looking to pull the trigger on a good wall tent. Looking at Montana, Davis, etc. What are your opinions on the best quality tent and stove. Tent will be used for Idaho hunts, deer camp here in Indiana and when I am in the dog house with the wife ,lol. Typically there will only be 2 to 3 of us. Thinking of a 12x 16 or a 12x 18. Please give me your thoughts on details, size, brand, etc. Also on stove recommendations. Thanks a bunch.

I asked the same question a while ago. After all of the responses I got and some home work I'm going with a Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Davis 14x17 with large stove 4 years ago and love it as a base camp. Sleeps 4 with plenty of room to move around and cook small meals. get a cook tent also, makes things easer at meal time.

sveltri

WKR
I love my Davis 14x16. I like my stove as well, but if I had it to do over again I would look at a military surplus round/barrel type stove. Much lighter and economical.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
It's worth looking at Snowtrekker tents too. They are out of Northern WI and they use a lightweight canvas. They have a great reputation.

I own a Montana canvas tent and really like it. Choose the model with the removable floor which has its pros and cons but it works for us. Also has a window which is super nice if it's during archery season and it's hot out and if the inside of the tent is a little smokey from the wood stove or cooking. 12x16 is a good size for 3-4 people if your good at staying organized

OP
G

gkempf

FNG
Thanks for all the inf guys. I thing Davis is going to get my business.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the inf guys. I thing Davis is going to get my business.

They're good people and elk hunters, so they use their gear as much as we do.

One thing about a 14 foot wide tent is that you can put two cots end to end on the back wall if you want, whereas a 12 foot wide tent won't be wide enough.

rbljack

WKR
Ive considered getting one of these as time goes by. our family consists of 3 people, and Ive looked at layouts and options a few times. Curios to know if Im close in my thought process. 14x16 seems to be a great size for 3-4 people. If my research is accurate, we can line 3 cots along the back wal side by sidel, have the stove in one front corner, and a cook table on the opposite side/ towards the front. for cooking the prep table is just opposite of the stove, which seems like a convenient set up. Sound about right??

Lets keep this conversation on wall tents going!

Ive considered getting one of these as time goes by. our family consists of 3 people, and Ive looked at layouts and options a few times. Curios to know if Im close in my thought process. 14x16 seems to be a great size for 3-4 people. If my research is accurate, we can line 3 cots along the back wal side by sidel, have the stove in one front corner, and a cook table on the opposite side/ towards the front. for cooking the prep table is just opposite of the stove, which seems like a convenient set up. Sound about right??

We do that setup in a 12x14 Davis.

Only two of us, but we could easily fit three cots, or even four at the back. We only put two cots, and have room for chairs back there too. Here are some pics of the 12x14,

VEnThWi.jpg

Obl9SpE.jpg

Ixh7Vkc.jpg

Another option for sleeping, Cabelas sales the stackable cots. I think that's route in going to go to save more room

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Yep, you can absolutely do that. For archery season I don't need the stove so that leaves a lot of room. Of course a 14x16 is already a lot of room when I'm solo most the time.:D

But with the stove on one side and the table on the other it would work fine for three guys.

Whisky

WKR
14x16 3 cots, stove, table and chairs...perfect for 3

2738c07b7237063168d491a5c5cf628b.jpg
96fe49c8ee7b83fff81ad7431cf590b2.jpg
8f67a1aeaa3df99936e80b534a530573.jpg

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personall don't like a floor more to clean and dry out. I've had a Montana canvas tent for over a decade. 8x10 with relite walls and canvas top. Good combination as the relite is lighter and dries out much quicker. Recommend two windows for ventilation for early season.many stove options. But no complaints with four dog stoves heavy duty stoves with several options in size.

rbljack

WKR
Ty yall for the pics.....it really helps to see the layouts, what works, and what wont. Looks like 3 would fit fine in a 12x14 easily, but is a palace for two...LOL. Yall even have room for a dining table in there where the chairs are. The added room of the 14x16 would leave even more room for gear and food area for 3-4 guys and gear.

Also, to stay in line with the original posters questions, I was looking at stoves last night. Any recommendations? I thought the Four dog Stove company had some nice set ups. Primarily the 4 dog stove with the side shelf and 4 gallon water tank. It looks like it collapse down and everything stored inside the stove box.
Four Dog DX Steel Tent Stove--A great camp stove for cooking and heating in camp

To keep this going, if you run a wall tent, post your pics so we can check out the set ups/layouts, they are very helpful.

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
I have a 4 dog and buddy has the Davis. The Davis is nicer in that it has a bigger firebox and door so it's easier to get wood in. Also the thing is easier to get heated up quickly. However the Four Dog will burn all night with a full firebox so it gets the nod. We never used my buddies Davis this year since I bought the 4 dog.

Also the 4 dog is lighter and easier and quicker to set up.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personall don't like a floor more to clean and dry out.

I wouldn't want a permanent floor, but I love having a tarp down as my floor. Keeps the tent clean as well when I take it down or set it up as it lays on the tarp instead of the dirt. I also have the Davis floor that has the cut out for the stove. That's not attached to the tent either. It's nice to be able to get up and walk around bare foot or in socks.

Definitely get at least one window, and the screen door......or two doors with screen doors. There are times I wish I had two of these tents with doors on both ends of one of them and could put the two tents together, and basically have two separate rooms for the family.