Weatherby Rifles

SDHNTR

WKR
Vanguards are not Weatherbys. They are Howas. If you want a Weatherby, buy the real deal and get a Mark V. With the right bullet, like a Barnes 120 grain TTSX, I would not hesitate for a second to shoot a bull elk with a 257 Roy.

khuber84

WKR
The new carbonmark has a different barrel (bsf?) I'd wait for some real reports before picking 1 up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Looks like proof research, along with an ag composites stock. Weatherby has really opened their eyes to what guys are building for custom rigs and their new stuff from the Wyoming factory looks good. I'm just not a fan of the short mag boxes, can't even think about getting close to the lands.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
The Mark V action is worth the extra money over a Vanguard, in my opinion. Vanguards are good rifles, but they're not in the same class as the Mark V. Mark V actions are smooth as silk, stronger, 54 degree bolt throw is VERY nice, etc... It's an actual Weatherby. As stated above, the Vanguards are Howas, which are fine for a mauser action rifle. The factory triggers aren't the best, so factor in an upgraded trigger or at least a trigger job on the Vanguard. They're certainly good rifles. Just not Mark Vs.

amassi

WKR
Looks like proof research, along with an ag composites stock. Weatherby has really opened their eyes to what guys are building for custom rigs and their new stuff from the Wyoming factory looks good. I'm just not a fan of the short mag boxes, can't even think about getting close to the lands.
Proof is out
They have a new mfg for the carbon barrels bsf.
Mag length shouldn't be an issue with any current chambering, mag box can be ran upto 3.815 but will need bolt modded for longer throw

khuber84

WKR
Proof is out
They have a new mfg for the carbon barrels bsf.
Mag length shouldn't be an issue with any current chambering, mag box can be ran upto 3.815 but will need bolt modded for longer throw

I'd rather they went with a reputable vensor, but they do look like a nice rifle!

amassi

WKR
I'd rather they went with a reputable vensor, but they do look like a nice rifle!
Me too
I think proof might have been hard to source
I tried to order a carbonmark last year in 7mm weatherby and they said 9-12 months to get me a 7mm barrel.

I am a weatherby guy so I am biased. I would say the 257 is my all time favorite. It will kill elk just fine! My rifles have always been mark 5 models but it seems like the vangards do just fine! And yes the 6.5 is also a great option. My latest love affair is with the 6.5 ultralight I bought this year. Just ordered the new backcountry in that caliber as well! I have never owned a 270 bee would in a heartbeat if I found a left handed one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Vanguards are good rifles, made by howa. They are a bit heavy but very serviceable. I have one of the vanguard dangerous game rifles in 375 and a back country in 300wby.

I guess that could be an option. Does the ammo cost for a 6.5-300 more than the 257 or 270? The 6.5 would definitely be abetter option than the 257

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your worried about ammo cost dont buy a weatherby caliber.
I've always wanted a 257 there's just something about it, old timey workhorse I guess, I just picture a cowboy leading his horse with a big buck across the saddle and 257 in his hand.

They have a new 6.5 out to a little slower then the 6.5-300 but I'm betting it's way more consistent.

But if your going to pony up for the carbon mark why not just have a custom built.? Its not much more. If at all.

Ovahbored

FNG
I'll admit I'm a Weatherby fan boy and love the 257 Weatherby. I have an accuguard in 257 Weatherby. Prior to that I kept buying and selling rifles but I'll never get rid of this guy. With the SWFA 3-15 I mounted this is a very versatile combination.

A lot of people consider this a handloader's cartridge and I actually bought this rifle to force me to hand load. I still don't for a few reasons. First, factory ammo just shoots great in the rifle. One advantage to a mostly proprietary round is usually factory ammo shoots great in factory rifles. Weatherby isn't manufacturing ammunition to work with a million different rifles with different twists, magazine length etc. Second, the ammo is very frequently discounted and when I see a deal I stock up. Combine this with the fact you can easily sell once fired brass for 1$ or so and the price is much easier to swallow. Plus, you get to interact with other 257 Weatherby shooters which Is cool because everyone that shoots the 257 Weatherby is awesome.

My next purchase may be a Mark V but honestly I love the Howa 2 lug. Even when it first came out it didn't do anything revolutionary but did everything well. Weatherby really knows their rifles and I think there is good reason the Mark V just recent gained an accuracy guarantee equal to the Vanguard. That being said the Weathermark LT def. appeals to me.

OXN939

WKR
Vanguards are not Weatherbys. They are Howas. If you want a Weatherby, buy the real deal and get a Mark V. With the right bullet, like a Barnes 120 grain TTSX, I would not hesitate for a second to shoot a bull elk with a 257 Roy.

Anyone got any experience with the Mark V Weathermark? Seems like the (relatively) bare bones choice among the Mark V lineup. Handled one today and it was super sharp, great fit and finish. Triggertech obviously fantastic. Only thing is it was the 26" version in 7mm Wby Mag, which doesn't really give a good idea for how a 22" rifle in 6.5 Creed would feel- which is the end state of all this.

amassi

WKR
Anyone got any experience with the Mark V Weathermark? Seems like the (relatively) bare bones choice among the Mark V lineup. Handled one today and it was super sharp, great fit and finish. Triggertech obviously fantastic. Only thing is it was the 26" version in 7mm Wby Mag, which doesn't really give a good idea for how a 22" rifle in 6.5 Creed would feel- which is the end state of all this.
Yes
I have one in 6.5-300, albeit the older model with the straight bolt flutes and old trigger. I swapped it for a timney but would love a triggertech. It's a shooter

The creedmoor is built on a six lug so it will be much handier and balance better. I think they're a great deal, you'll not have to worry about mag length and if the 6.5 rpm takes off and tickles your fancy you could rechamber or rebarrel

OXN939

WKR
Yes
I have one in 6.5-300, albeit the older model with the straight bolt flutes and old trigger. I swapped it for a timney but would love a triggertech. It's a shooter

The creedmoor is built on a six lug so it will be much handier and balance better. I think they're a great deal, you'll not have to worry about mag length and if the 6.5 rpm takes off and tickles your fancy you could rechamber or rebarrel

Exactly. Lots of good options with that setup if you ever did want to rebarrel. Am I $1200 interested without ever handling the rifle in question in person? Time will tell.

The 54 degree bolt throw was pretty unique. Certainly not saying it's a bad thing- everything about the action seemed super solid- it's just such a shorter distance the bolt travels than most rifles you'd definitely want to get a solid base of dry fire reps before hunting with her.

I have a love affair with my Vanguard Backcountry in .300 Wby Mag.... got it this year on sale at sportsman’s..... haven’t killed with it yet but it throws hate and discontent down range..... I love how passionate Adam Weatherby is about designing his products and I like their model for most of their new stuff, let’s go as light as possible and make everything perform like a magnum

Vanguards are good rifles, made by howa. They are a bit heavy but very serviceable. I have one of the vanguard dangerous game rifles in 375 and a back country in 300wby.

How does your 375 dangerous game hold up in comparison in all aspects to your 300 Wby.... I got the 300 Wby Backcountry to handle damn near everything from deer to moose however I’ve been considering if I ever get to Alaska for Brown Bears buying that same 375

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How does your 375 dangerous game hold up in comparison in all aspects to your 300 Wby.... I got the 300 Wby Backcountry to handle damn near everything from deer to moose however I’ve been considering if I ever get to Alaska for Brown Bears buying that same 375

honestly, the weatherby vanguard dangerous gsme
Rifle is an evil bitch. It takes skin off my hand and has scopes ~ 6 people. I much prefer my Remington which weighs well over a pound less. I think it’s the stock design or something.

Not sure I would consider a 6.5-300 if you value your barrel. Those things burn through them pretty fast