Weatherby s2, tikka t3 ?

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting the itch to get a rifle, always been 100% archery but thought I would expand my interest after shooting my brothers 308 this weekend at 300 yards ( that was fun). I am looking at getting either a 7mm or 300 win mag/wsm, I am looking at the Weatherby vanguard s2 and the Tikka t3. I have read good things about both of these and don't want to spend $1000 on a rifle, of these 2 guns being left stock for now what would be the better choice. I will be taking it to Colorado elk hunting and using it in Michigan for deer. I plan on spending some time trying to find my longest distance I accurately shoot just for fun. I plan on dumping another $ 600 ish on a scope.

Trr15

WKR
I've picked up one of each of these within the past 6 months. (.223 S2 and 7mm mag T3) both are absolute tack drivers and you can't go wrong either way in my opinion. Weight advantage goes to the T3 and I'm not a fan of the cheap feeling safety on the vanguard, but both would make a solid rifle for you without breaking the bank.

Trr15

WKR
The action on the tikka is super smooth, night and day compared to the vanguard...now that I type this all out, I'd go with the tikka over the weatherby if the price was the same.

topher89

WKR
I have the Weatherby and am very happy with it. It shoots tiny groups and it well built. That said, I wish I had gotten the Tikka for the weight savings.

Not sure if your Michigan deer hunting involves a lot of hiking but if it doesn't, the weight of the Weatherby may not be a big deal.

Either would be a great choice

Either would be good. You just need to pick what you are looking for. I picked up both this past fall / winter.

My tikka superlite is a 30-06. My 300win mag is a Weatherby accuguard. Both are stainless steel with fluted barrels. I've had both out to the range and they are both sub 1 inch shooters at 100yds.

I picked the tikka in the 30-06 since it was the lightest long action in my price range.

I like shooting the 300's and the Weatherby had a good feel for me, had the features I wanted and I knew it would likely shoot well, which it does. I picked it for its weight as well not too heavy and not too light.

gelton

WKR
I have the weatherby backcountry in .300 wm and my dad has the tikka in 30.06. The Tikka action is super smooth and the trigger is slightly better as well. The first thing I did w the weatherby was replace the trigger with a timmey, now my trigger is better than the tikka. One of the biggest differences is the mag well vs. a magazine. Tikkas magazine isn't long enough to hold hand loads that are tuned longer than spec whereas the weatherby (no detachable mag) can chamber and hold much longer rounds. Not an issue if you don't hand load but a biggie if you do.

I think they are both really good triggers. I've never had an aftermarket trigger, so I can't compare them. They are both adjustable as well.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Would it be worth the extra money to get ss over the blued barrel? also is the stock on the weatherby more comfortable to shoot with the palm swell over the tikka?

Would it be worth the extra money to get ss over the blued barrel? also is the stock on the weatherby more comfortable to shoot with the palm swell over the tikka?
Depends on how you hunt. If youre not worried about your gun getting wet, you could save $150 & go blue. I used to have to scrub rust off my barrel every year until I went stainless. If youre not sure, you could buy blue, & if rust becomes a problem, you could have it cerricoated for $175 or less down the road. People say the cerricoat is as good or better than ss. I wouldn't know, but I ve been very happy with my ss tikka. I don't know anything about the weatherby.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
If I get one of these I will be shooting quite a bit getting it broke in and competing against my brother for the longest mill jug shot type of stuff. What is your thoughts on a muzzle break? I know they are loud but you gotta wear ear Protection anyway.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer to have a muzzle brake on just about all rifles. The only time I wouldn't want one is if I was brush hunting and I don't do that so......