Well…. I just ordered some gear

Alaska moose 2022….

A long way to go, but I bit the bullet and put some G3 waders on order along with G3 guide boots and the Flyweight boot. Will send one back after in decide which one to keep. Both have their appeal.

Also going to order some tundra hippies. My plan is to wear wading boots full time. In wet weather with waders. In dry / dryer weather with water “proof” pants and the tundras rolled down.

Also going to purchase a breathable jacket and then Impertech 3/4 for heavy rain.

This and appropriate base layering should be a decent plan. Right? All ears if I’m making any horrible mistakes.

Also picked up a waterproof duffel that will come in handy to there and here locally on boat. Hope it’s not too bulky for pilot as my one “big” bag. I can roll up a couple smaller bags in it migrates contents if be requests.

Shit is getting real… finally.

D2352052-A5D7-4AD3-8730-E495E8414F72.jpeg

348545DF-1393-49B5-BF8C-E959AEB6B499.png

Last edited:
OP
P
Question: It seems like the neoprene of the stocking foot waders or the chotas would be prone to excessive heat and/or wear being in the wader boot dry. Is this not a concern I should have?

mooster

WKR
Question: It seems like the neoprene of the stocking foot waders or the chotas would be prone to excessive heat and/or wear being in the wader boot dry. Is this not a concern I should have?
I'm taking chota caney fork socks breathable wader socks this year. Last year I took Simms g4 stocking foot waders and flyweight boots. I loved the setup except for some days we hunted on somewhat dry land and hiked a bit. The wader boots were always wet, so I didn't want to layer up dry socks in cold wet boots, and opted in stead just to wear the waders. Wasn't so bad, but did get warm a couple times. This year for the dry hiking opportunties, I'm hoping the caney forks will be a good solution. They have a neoprene stocking foot which will allow for dry feet and comfort, and the light weight knee high h20proof upper will give some water and brush protection. @ 14 oz., not a huge penalty for what i hope is a comfortable solution.

OP
P
Looks like Caney forks and tundras Same basic principle, tundras just roll up into Hipwaders if need be.

You said that the wading boots stayed wet all the time. What does the Caney Fork do to solve that problem?

mooster

WKR
Looks like Caney forks and tundras Same basic principle, tundras just roll up into Hipwaders if need be.

You said that the wading boots stayed wet all the time. What does the Caney Fork do to solve that problem?
my wading boots would be wet at days end, even froze solid some mornings. they would also stay wet as even on "dry" ground we'd be walking through tall wet grass or small wet marshy spots. so If I wanted to ditch the waders and put on my wet boots, they would soak into any dry socks i would have put on. having the chota's will let me wear the wader boots as hiking boots, but at the same time my feet would be dry.

OP
P

Just re read your post. I think I get it. You’re plan HAD been to wear regular socks with the G3 boots but because they wet, that a no-go. So you went with thei entire waders and Simms set up. This year with the caney fork socks you can wear hunting pants and then chota socks with g3 boots. ???

That’s the same plan as mine. Except I’m going with the tundras.

OP
P
Well, it looks like the XL Tundra Hippies are nowhere to be found. Grr.

Really wanted to have them on hand to try on with the two style of wading boots that are on order.

I took the same approach on our hunt. We used Simms Freestone wading boots 100% of the time. If not wearing wading pants we wore neo socks. When I trained with that setup the neo socks were hot as hell but I was training in 90deg weather. When we hunted it was cold enough where I never noticed my feet getting too warm... and that's with wearing a merino sock underneath the neo sock. Also, the neo socks were very durable

OP
P
I took the same approach on our hunt. We used Simms Freestone wading boots 100% of the time. If not wearing wading pants we wore neo socks. When I trained with that setup the neo socks were hot as hell but I was training in 90deg weather. When we hunted it was cold enough where I never noticed my feet getting too warm... and that's with wearing a merino sock underneath the neo sock. Also, the neo socks were very durable
Plain old Neoprene socks. That’s a good idea. Especially if you know you won’t need any chotas that day or for the purpose of a particular excursion.

Did you use waterproof ones, or open cell neo? I assume the former.

Plain old Neoprene socks. That’s a good idea. Especially if you know you won’t need any chotas that day or for the purpose of a particular excursion.

Did you use waterproof ones, or open cell neo? I assume the former.

Waterproof for sure! Ours became not so waterproof at the end so I’m looking at sealskinz right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
Waterproof for sure! Ours became not so waterproof at the end so I’m looking at sealskinz right now.

Sealskinz in addition to neo or in place of? Guessing in place of. I can’t imagine them keeping you dry all day in a wet wading boot, or if in actual water in wading boot.

Sealskinz in addition to neo or in place of? Guessing in place of. I can’t imagine them keeping you dry all day in a wet wading boot, or if in actual water in wading boot.

They have really good reviews so I’m going to get some and out them through the ringer. They have a lifetime 100% waterproof guarantee.

It’s really hard to find a neoprene sock that is 100% waterproof. All the wading socks I see are for “wet wading” so they’re not waterproof. If you find some let me know!!

OP
P
They have really good reviews so I’m going to get some and out them through the ringer. They have a lifetime 100% waterproof guarantee.

It’s really hard to find a neoprene sock that is 100% waterproof. All the wading socks I see are for “wet wading” so they’re not waterproof. If you find some let me know!!

Didn’t know they hard to find. Although I didn’t check availability either. Just read up on them briefly.

Definitely let us know how they perform if you get your hands on some.

You talking about these? They appear to be in stock. Although wouldn’t you want a hydrophobic membrane?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sea...4WY4KT7MAtGZvuJAvQRoC2cQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Didn’t know they hard to find. Although I didn’t check availability either. Just read up on them briefly.

You talking about these? They appear to be in stock. Although wouldn’t you want a hydrophobic membrane?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sealskinz-cold-weather-knee-high-waterproof-socks-for-men?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAjwmqKJBhAWEiwAMvGt6Ml28BhRv-Z0oBhZ7IYvLsxGo6E4oGybT4m4WY4KT7MAtGZvuJAvQRoC2cQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sealskinz-cold-weather-knee-high-waterproof-socks-for-men?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAjwmqKJBhAWEiwAMvGt6Ml28BhRv-Z0oBhZ7IYvLsxGo6E4oGybT4m4WY4KT7MAtGZvuJAvQRoC2cQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm betting you'll get very warm in those chest waders and Impertech jacket, if you must do waders I'd do hip boots instead and an Impertech guide coat. I use to wear that setup but I sweat too much in waders so I went to a waterproof knee high boot and Impertech Guide jacket for when it's raining or walking through wet brush.

OP
P
I'm betting you'll get very warm in those chest waders and Impertech jacket, if you must do waders I'd do hip boots instead and an Impertech guide coat. I use to wear that setup but I sweat too much in waders so I went to a waterproof knee high boot and Impertech Guide jacket for when it's raining or walking through wet brush.

I’ve got a decent breathable jacket shell for light rain. Will have Impertech in case we need to
Work in a downpour. At least that’s the plan.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a decent breathable jacket shell for light rain. Will have Impertech in case we need to
Work in a downpour. At least that’s the plan.
Breathable is fine in light rain and when you're not tromping through wet brush, that's where the Impertech comes in handy.