Western mountaineering badger MF

CCH

WKR
WM seems to offer the most conservative temperature ratings of any bag out there. While it really depends on the person, I would trust the Badger to 15 and probably a bit colder.

jolemons

WKR
I'm 6ft 175, slim build, sleep a little cold. Ill freeze my ass off in my badger with base layers only below 25 F on a 5.5 rated pad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ok I’m sold on the badger, now to decide if I want the overfill or not...

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
WM already overfills their bags a bit. So I opted to not have it overfilled to keep it fairly compressible. I've had it down below 15 and been warm. In my opinion I opt for overfill from companies that are not properly filling their bags. Overfill from companies that are putting the right amount in, you just start giving up the warmth to weight ratio and packability.

TexasCub

WKR
I'm 6ft 175, slim build, sleep a little cold. Ill freeze my ass off in my badger with base layers only below 25 F on a 5.5 rated pad.

I don’t see how that’s possible, I was sweating in 30 degrees in a Alpinlite and the loft difference between the Alpinlite and badger is substantial.

jolemons

WKR
I don’t see how that’s possible, I was sweating in 30 degrees in a Alpinlite and the loft difference between the Alpinlite and badger is substantial.
I sleep floorless, so there is a draft. I do tend to sleep cold, as mentioned. Also, my theory is that since the bag is very roomy, there is a lot of dead air space for my slim frame. A hot Nalgene makes a big difference in that particular bag for me.

Thess87

WKR
6’8” 270lbs. I have the badger. I really like the bag I do wish it had alittle more girth but it’s tolerable.

They are nice for sure if you want a lot of space and better durability/water protection of the MF shell. You could save 6 or 7 ounces by going alpinlite or Versalite too, neither of which are the tighter mummy cut.
Are alpinlite and Versailles close to as wide as the badger? I’ve been looking at th badger because I have a hard time sleeping in a traditional mummy bag and really like a wider bag...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are alpinlite and Versailles close to as wide as the badger? I’ve been looking at th badger because I have a hard time sleeping in a traditional mummy bag and really like a wider bag...
No, the Versalite is a slimmer bag than the Badger. 63/54/39 in the 6'6" version on the Versalite. Alpinlite is 65/56/39 in the 6'6" version. Badger is 66/57/41 in the 6'6" bag. Ponderosa is 67/64/48 in 6'6" version, but is heavier because it's semi rectangular.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

T
No, the Versalite is a slimmer bag than the Badger. 63/54/39 in the 6'6" version on the Versalite. Alpinlite is 65/56/39 in the 6'6" version. Badger is 66/57/41 in the 6'6" bag. Ponderosa is 67/64/48 in 6'6" version, but is heavier because it's semi rectangular.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thanks man

11bhank

FNG
I really like my Kodiak, it has a lot of shoulder space. I’m pretty claustrophobic and I do not feel that way in this bag. Super easy to get in and out of. Built really well. I can confirm that WM temperatures are conservative. I slept comfortable in zero degree weather with just long johns and t shirt. I did speak with someone regarding the versalite because that was my original choice, he told me that the Kodiak bag is noticeably better bag. I’d just go with the MF line, you won’t be sorry. It breathes extremely well and has great moisture management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my Kodiak, it has a lot of shoulder space. I’m pretty claustrophobic and I do not feel that way in this bag. Super easy to get in and out of. Built really well. I can confirm that WM temperatures are conservative. I slept comfortable in zero degree weather with just long johns and t shirt. I did speak with someone regarding the versalite because that was my original choice, he told me that the Kodiak bag is noticeably better bag. I’d just go with the MF line, you won’t be sorry. It breathes extremely well and has great moisture management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info! I think the Badger will work best for my needs

If you are interested in a WM bag you may be interested and surprised in the actual comfort ratings. Go to the FAQ page and you can see the numbers under technical details & performance. For example, the 15* Badger MF is comfort rated at 23*. It's in line with the industry. Just something to consider.

BAKPAKR

WKR
For those of you with a WM Badger, what kind and size compression sack do you use?

I use the 10 liter OR Airpurge Dry Compression Sack for my WM Apache MF. I am not positive the Badger would fit since it is a bigger bag but a 15 liter version is also available. It isn’t the lightest thing out there but it gives me an extra layer of protection against wetness.