What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

Wrader36

FNG
Anyone have any thoughts on putting together a build or going the Fierce route? I figured my build would look something like this:

Action: Defiance / Kelby, whichever is available honestly - does not seem to be much difference
Stock: AG Alpine Hunter
Barrel: Proof
Trigger: Triggertech
Brake: Terminator
Bottom Metal: TBD - not sure which route to go here

All in all, I believe this would come to about $3,600 before tax and such. So could likely build this for about $1,000 more than a Fierce.

Anyone have any good recommendations on a smith to reach out to?

I'm putting together a 6.8 western build right now. Pretty similar to this. I'm going with a Mack Brother's action, OMR 26" barrel, AG chalk branch stock, trigger tech, and Hawkins bottom metal. I'll be using it for elk. Just waiting on the action and I'll get it put together. This is my first build, it's been pretty fun.

I would contact Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles and see if he has any rifles available that are not spoken for. If he does, buy it. Chances are it will be chambered in 300prc, 30 Nosler, 300 Norma Improved, or 338 Norma Improved.

You can see his builds and results on his FB pages.

Sounds like you reload. Savage ultralight 28 nosler with 175 grain long- range accubond reloads with a $10,000 alpha-glass scope of your choosing and box of replacement proof research barrels depending on how much you shoot. Old shot out barrels used for tomato stakes in the garden.

Curious of what everyone recommends for my next elk rifle. I currently have a 30-06, 300 WM, and a .308.

Should I consider something like a 28 Nosler or get another .300WM because, why not. My .300 WM right now has a 1/10 twist, and does not seem to care for Berger 215's, which is why I would consider another WM or 30 cal.
300 PRC

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your position a bit ago. I bought a Zermat TL3 S/A and ordered a prefit proof 6.5 prc. Stock is the only thing I'm waiting for and should be here in a few weeks. Went with a stockeys carbon fiber.

The thing that did it for me was the TL3 is able to thread up to my 6bra barrel for competition.

Plenty of options for barrels so you could get a .223 barrel for practice.

Any custom action should have prefit barrels.

dturbin22

FNG
Curious of what everyone recommends for my next elk rifle. I currently have a 30-06, 300 WM, and a .308.

Should I consider something like a 28 Nosler or get another .300WM because, why not. My .300 WM right now has a 1/10 twist, and does not seem to care for Berger 215's, which is why I would consider another WM or 30 cal.
300 RUM or PRC

Cooper M92 280ai. 5 1/2 lb mtn rifle no recoil with the brake. One shot and down at 320 yds last October in NM. Barnes 150gr ttsx. Rifle in a caliber you can shoot and carry in the mountains in old age. I am 68.
They are definitely shooters i owned 1in left hand in 280ai
I now own 4 x bolt HCLR l left hand IN 280ai ,6.5 cm 300 prc & 6.8 western

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
If it was me I’d put a new barrel on your 300 to run the 215’s, if your magazine will provide sufficient length. If so, then I’d buy a 6.5 (prc, .284, etc) as well.

Or, if you want to go with a 30 then I’d step up to the 30nos or 300nmi to push the 230/245 bergers.

prm

WKR
Perhaps I missed it, but how do you hunt? Backcountry with lots of steep hiking, open prairie, from the truck, dark timber, etc.

My favorite elk rifle is a light 338 Federal. Drops elk (and everything else) in a hurry. Perfect for me. How/where I hunt doesn’t seem to lend itself to shots over ~400 yds. The longest shot I’ve ever needed to make on an elk was MUCH shorter that that. My rifle would not be ideal hunting wide open spaces. I’ve carried heavy rifles in the mountains. Won’t be doing that again. Nor would I want excessive recoil, which when combined with lightweight starts to narrow the ideal options. The bulls I’ve shot, none when far at all. A magnum like cartridge simply is not necessary.
If I wanted an all-around elk rifle, something like an all up ~7lb 308 shooting 155 Scenars would cover it all.

My cousin has a 300 PRC that he loves so and there's certainly a wide range of newer and classic winners in that same range. But I'm going to throw something else out there for ya...with the trio you mentioned all being proven Elk slayers...why not move up a bit in caliber should that need ever arise? 33 Nosler or even the 338 win mag? If you really want to go a little bigger, 375 H&H has 30-06 like ballistics...throwing a much larger pill.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Really considering the 300 PRC. Does anyone have one and how does it compare performance wise to the 300 WM? Large step up? Or not really worth it

Flyjunky

WKR
Really considering the 300 PRC. Does anyone have one and how does it compare performance wise to the 300 WM? Large step up? Or not really worth it
If you already have everything for the 300wm I wouldn’t go to the prc, there just isn’t that much difference. Put a new barrel on your 300wm and have it throated for heavies.

With that being said, I’m all for getting new guns but I’d branch out on the caliber.

300 WSM in an ultralight so you will love shorter and lighter when you get old and sick of hauling the others up and down the mountain. You will also get to complain that you can't find ammo anywhere.

I’m in the same boat as far as what I already own. Very intrigued by the 6.5 PRC but haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk