What cartridge for first rifle build?

I’m thinking about building off of a tikka action (prob next year), but I’m not sure what to chamber it in yet. I have a savage ultralight 30-06, and a savage lightweight storm 25-06. So I was thinking something between the two maybe. I do not handload (maybe a few years down the road, but for now it’ll be box ammo). The only things I’ve crossed off the list are magnums (except possibly one of the noslers), and 6.5 creed. My first thoughts are 7mm-08 or .280 rem. But I’m open to other options.

As for the rifle itself, I’m thinking 22”ish carbon six or proof carbon barrel. AG Composites privateer stock. And tikka action and bottom metal?

OP
JPeters218
More than likely will be shooting Accubonds, partitions, or a copper solid

OP
JPeters218
280 Ackley might be a good option. Getting pretty popular so factory ammo is (in normal times..) available. My wife's Tikka should be coming back from Kampfeld Customs any day now, converted from 06 to 280ai.
I looked hard at 280ai when I bought my 06. $65+ per box of ammo is what turned me off of it. (Honestly haven’t looked at .280 rem prices yet). And for this build the 280ai’s performance is so close to the 30-06 that it kinda feels like a waste to me to have two guns that similar. I could probably talk myself out of that one tho

OP
JPeters218
what are you wanting to hunt with this gun and at what ranges?
Antelope, white tail, mule deer, and elk. I have the antelope and elk ends of the spectrum covered already so if it’s a little much/ light for them it’s not no problem.
500yds and in. Realistically a lot closer tho

madcalfe

WKR
well you already have a pretty decent deer gun with that 25.06 loaded with 115- 120gr bullets
id say a 7mm-08. or go bigger than a 30.06

I’d say write down exactly what you want the rifle to achieve. Then look for cartridges that’ll meet the requirements.

The following is using commercial Precision Hunter and does not account for rifle specifics nor environmentals. And yardage is for the theoretical 1800fps for reliable expansion.

The 7mm-08 only brings more energy to the table over your 25-06. It’ll get you an extra 50 yards on the 30-06 but with less energy.

A 270 Win will get you about an extra 15 yards and more energy over your 25-06. It’ll get you an extra 125 yards and less energy over your 30-06.

Both are awesome but they don’t necessarily get you all that much over what you already have (potent combination).

The 280 AI gets you 75+ more yards and a ton of energy over your 25-06. It’ll get you another 175 yards and more sustained energy over your 30-06.

The 6.5 PRC gets you 150 yards and a ton more energy over your 25-06. It’ll get you 250 yards and more energy (bit less than the 280 AI) over your 30-06.

Based off factory ammo availability I'd go 308. Arguably too similar.

However, you already have two rifles capable of taking elk at 500 yds (so you don't need this rifle, just want it.)

I'd build a 223 bolt action for easy/cheap plinking and maybe even try to take a moose with it like the guys in that famous thread...

OP
JPeters218
The problem is I don’t have a specific thing I want it for. I just have the urge to build a gun, but I don’t have a need for it. At this point im thinking Mule deer and the occasional elk or white tail

OP
JPeters218
I think I might’ve decided on 280 rem. No real reason other than I kinda just want it. Which is fitting for this gun lol. It does give me the option to shoot heavier bullets than the 7-08 should I want them tho.
A .223 might be next on the list tho…

Harvey_NW

WKR
I think you got er figured out. The 280 rem is kind of a sleeper cartridge in the hunting world. My buddy has been consistently notching tags with his for about 20 years, I even shot my biggest buck with it. I hand load so the Ackley was an easy decision for the little extra performance.

Laramie

WKR
You already own my two favorites that cover essentially all North American hunting needs- kudos to good taste.

You don't need anything else so I agree with the guy a few posts above regarding the .308. Ammo will be around forever for it. It's a very versatile gun and fun to shoot vs many of the magnums.