What did you do today to get ready for Elk season?

Fullfan

WKR
Just did 40 min on the wife’s elliptical. Dang stopped and made my go reverse, wow did that suck. Then did 8 miles on the bike.
17 days ..

TxAg2017

FNG
Got a run in this morning and browsed Rokslide with the morning coffee. Planning to wash the pack and bino harness this evening. This is the least prepared I've been this late in the game out of my 5 years of elk hunting and I can feel the stress building.

Sorry to hear that @sodaksooner... Not fun! Hope your recovery is quick. I got COVID last week too just to make it completely miserable. Sneezing/coughing and cracked ribs do not mix!

Walking several miles every day but unfortunately can't put weight in a pack yet.

Cracked some ribs about 10 years ago and it turned out to be a serious blessing... so hoping that somehow works out again this time!
That has to suck... and No they do not mix for sure. Gotta be some of the worst pain I have experienced. I have broken or bruised them 3 times this year in mountain bike crashes. I definitely ran out of talent in all three cases. It's been a month since my last mishap. Feeling better today finally but just staying off the mountain bike for a bit. Can't be hurt in CO....lol. I've been able to use the pack again for a few weeks, but have been out of town for work a lot this summer. Have gotten to hike in Phoenix and the Asheville area, but just not able to carry weight, so am behind for sure. Trying to use the Peloton at hotels and my indoor trainer to supplement some. I am going out 5 days before the season starts to scout so will definitely need the days at altitude for some additional conditioning. Cardio seems decent if not good, but I am carrying about 10 to 15 lbs more body weight than last year so we will see.

Got a run in this morning and browsed Rokslide with the morning coffee. Planning to wash the pack and bino harness this evening. This is the least prepared I've been this late in the game out of my 5 years of elk hunting and I can feel the stress building.

I think I feel that way every year no matter how prepared I am.

Nothing... I'm hunting bears and white tail does this year. But one of my bear hunts is scouting for next years *hopefully* guaranteed 10 point muzzle loader tag.

Stared at the topo.
Honey do list... checked off a few items. Wife added more items...
Bought some hydration mixes.
Got out some nitrile gloves and tossed them in the gear bin.
Coordinated babysitters for the wife while I'm gone.
Stared at the gear bin, and thought, yep, need to start on that tomorrow.
Last week went to the range again and finally settled on a round for the new rifle, checked my zero. Shot a few boxes and focused on recoil control and trigger pull. 7lb 300wm is definitely a different animal than my 12lb rifle.
Lifting 2 x week, walking 20,000 steps and 50-100 flights of steps every day at work.

Hauled the kid in the backpack while mowing, cooking, laundry, shooting bow, evening walk, etc. trying to do life with a pack on like I will be in t-minus 14 days!!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Heading out tomorrow morning around 4 am to camp and scout this weekend. Excited and... maybe a little worry? Hunting a unit ive never hunted. Found elk earlier this summer but... doesnt mean anything for what ill find this time and what will be there in a couple weeks. There were some rubs form last year, sure, some could have been good size mule deer, there are moose in the area... could have been moose rubs too.... No idea what hunting pressure will look like... so many things to adapt to when it comes to hunting. Gotta be ready to change the plan to get the job done.

Follow up: Successful scouting trip, found a couple different groups of cows so... hopefully they stay around and the bulls follow. More hunters then i wanted to see out scouting in the area though too... so... we'll see what hunting pressure does to the area
If the cows are in there the boys will show! I found some guys on a game cam which never feels awesome but on a good note they didn’t steal my cam or mess with it too much

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just weights and cardio at the firehouse today and lots of fantasies about some bulls a buddy of mine glassed up in my unit this weeks, 3 of them over 300 and all were scraping thst velvet getting ready to rumble!

Loaded some 300 wsm shells with some 180 accubonds today. Tinkered with trigger pull weight and dry fired my rifle probably 200 times.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

GambelOak

FNG
I made the best of a bad situation. Sheep were everywhere so I explored and hunted a new area that I had not previously scouted. Plan A-D was a bust but now I have a plan E to add to my quiver of tricks.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
We were walking the dog the AM(my 1 1/2 mile hike with a weighted pack. Ran into an old acquaintance and he stopped to talk on his way to work. He hunts and recognized what I was doing. He reminded me that he had stock and would come pack out my elk if needed. He had given me his number a few years ago and it’s still in my phone. So now I have a packer lined up and can go steep and deep. Who hoo!

cstab

FNG
Weight trained for an hour and a half, did a 3 mile ruck when I got home in 109 degree heat, and capped the day flinging arrows. No time for BS right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Flew my butt back to Montana today. Hopefully I get more excited about it through the week. The change in humidity alone (Southern IL to MT) is encouraging. The llama and I may go for a hike tomorrow.