What do you look for or expect from a guide?

KineKilla

WKR
I have the opportunity to do some guiding (Elk and Mule Deer mostly) this fall for an outfitter in Wyoming and possibly my home state of Utah.

I have been on a handful of outfitted trips before. Fly in fishing in Alaska, Bear hunting in Idaho, drop camps in Utah.

My question for all of you is what do you value and expect from a guide? I am hoping to view the comments and incorporate, where possible, the expectations into what I do.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Super tag

WKR
I went on my first guided hunt last fall for elk. I have heard a lot of negatives over the years about guides and results so I was pretty unsure of what to expect.

I couldn’t be happier with the results of the hunt, the experience was awesome, successful, and left me wanting to do it again.

The outfitter had excellent accommodations, food etc. was all great. He got to know the guys in camp and set them up with the guides he felt would pair up the best. From what I saw he knew what he was doing and the pairings were perfect for each hunter. The outfitter was awesome.

Probably most important thing that stands out is do not go faster than your client can go-LOL I had a very young guide and he didn’t understand that a 60 year old body doesn’t move as fast as a younger man does. After a few reminders he got it.

My guide really put in the effort, we left at the cabin at 4:30 and returned at 9:30 or later each day, there wasn’t a single minute that we wasted, no naps, we didn’t return at mid day, we hunted, it was difficult for the first couple of days, but I enjoyed the effort as much or more than the harvest. We saw a lot of animals, great experience. This effort resulted in success, it was the last half hour of the last day that I took my trophy. He pushed, carried my pack when it got rough Lol but I appreciated that. We glassed every nook and cranny there was, covered the land very thoroughly. I learned a ton about hunting trophy bull elk.

He also did everything he could to make sure I took the very best animal we could find. Insisting on passing on numerous animals in order to find the very best trophy. Passing on animals I would have been thrilled with. He knew the areas and the potential Very well, it was clear he spent time scouting before my hunt.

My Experience was definitely awesome, I think about it all the time, I want to do it again. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but know I probably hired the very best. Thrilled with the experience, and great friends with my guide. We talk all the time.

I’ve never been on a guided hunt. If I did, I would expect the guy to know the hunting area like the back of his hand, the genetics in the area of the animal we are hunting, and be a decent guy to be around. If I had the money to pay for one that’s what I’d want, at a minimum.

In short, I’d want the guy to know his sh!t.

tntrker

WKR
I went on my first guided hunt last fall for elk. I have heard a lot of negatives over the years about guides and results so I was pretty unsure of what to expect.

I couldn’t be happier with the results of the hunt, the experience was awesome, successful, and left me wanting to do it again.

The outfitter had excellent accommodations, food etc. was all great. He got to know the guys in camp and set them up with the guides he felt would pair up the best. From what I saw he knew what he was doing and the pairings were perfect for each hunter. The outfitter was awesome.

Probably most important thing that stands out is do not go faster than your client can go-LOL I had a very young guide and he didn’t understand that a 60 year old body doesn’t move as fast as a younger man does. After a few reminders he got it.

My guide really put in the effort, we left at the cabin at 4:30 and returned at 9:30 or later each day, there wasn’t a single minute that we wasted, no naps, we didn’t return at mid day, we hunted, it was difficult for the first couple of days, but I enjoyed the effort as much or more than the harvest. We saw a lot of animals, great experience. This effort resulted in success, it was the last half hour of the last day that I took my trophy. He pushed, carried my pack when it got rough Lol but I appreciated that. We glassed every nook and cranny there was, covered the land very thoroughly. I learned a ton about hunting trophy bull elk.

He also did everything he could to make sure I took the very best animal we could find. Insisting on passing on numerous animals in order to find the very best trophy. Passing on animals I would have been thrilled with. He knew the areas and the potential Very well, it was clear he spent time scouting before my hunt.

My Experience was definitely awesome, I think about it all the time, I want to do it again. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but know I probably hired the very best. Thrilled with the experience, and great friends with my guide. We talk all the time.
^^This right here but so far I'm 0 for 2 with 2:1 hunts. Guides wanting to take naps, wanting to go back to camp for lunch, spending more time on FB than scouting, forgetting needed gear, unsure of what the area held....Hopefully that changes this September with a 1:1 hunt...

Last edited:

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a few now and as stated in earlier posts the first skill is to go at the pace of the client, know the area well and the clients shooting and outdoor skills. I look out of shape but walked 10+ miles at elevation every day. Guys half my age could only do half that and the guide has to adjust accordingly. At our camp all have to shoot in front of the guides. and the guys that shoot better at distance are slotted with the appropriate guide, I chose a guide that I want to be with all day that doesn't talk a lot is quiet in the woods and watches the wind like a bloodhound. I am never disappointed in not shooting an animal as it is called hunting and I am usually looking for a specific animal, unless of course I need the meat than it could be open season. with that said my guide of the past three years has put me on Elk every day of every hunt and a very nice 4 x 4 muley last year. He even put me on spruce grouse when we were done with big game.

You pay a guide for area knowledge, some hire because they don't have a clue what they're doing.

If I hired a guide, I expect them to not pretend like they know more and not treat (me) like a newbie.

Laramie

WKR
Hunters perspectives above are good.... but not always accurate.

If you are guiding multiple states/areas, there is a good chance you aren't going to know the area as well as you could. As a guide I was placed in unfamiliar territory frequently. As a guide it is your job to not pass along that stress to your client. Be confident, courteous, work hard, and listen to your hunters needs. Some people will be amazing to spend a week with. Some will be the type you would rather not share a 5minute conversation with. Treat them all the same and be adaptable.
Don't lose sight of your priorities -
#1 Keep you and your hunter safe and ensure all laws are followed perfectly.
#2 Do your absolute best to make the experience for the hunter great. Your own likes and dislikes need to be set aside for the hunt.
#3 Stay in control of the hunt. You were hired as a guide for a reason. Many hunters will try to take charge of the hunt and make decisions that may or may not be good in the end.
#4 Do your absolute best to put the hunter in positions to be successful but never tell them to shoot or not to shoot an animal. That is their decision 100%. Simply clearly communicate your view of the quality of animal they are seeing so they can decide shoot or pass.

There are many more considerations but these are the fundamentals. Guiding is what you make of it and it surely isn't for everyone.

#3 Stay in control of the hunt. You were hired as a guide for a reason. Many hunters will try to take charge of the hunt and make decisions that may or may not be good in the end.

In my several decades of guiding big game hunters, I've found this to be more and more of an issue among hunters; whereas they seem more and more inclined to control the pace and decisions regarding the actual hunt. More and more often, a good guide also needs to be an expert diplomat.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I've only done two guided hunts and one guided fishing trip.

One duck trip a few months ago. Most people know ducks were harder to come by in our area this season. You could tell the owner and guide put in a lot of time scouting and we were able to have a couple of productive hunts.

A deer hunt back in my early 20's. Owner was a cool guy to hang out with but full of BS and downright lied a few times. Guide would drop us off at stands, but corn everywhere we weren't hunting. You could tell it was a place they preferred hunters didn't kill anything. I was able to get a doe. Buddy got a 130" buck after working all day to move a tripod stand he brought. Owner literally looked disappointed when we took them to the skinning rack. He called us a few seasons later wanting us to come back. We declined.

Fishing trip for bonefish in Belize. Guide knew the area like the back of his hand, but we just weren't finding fish. Was windy that day and hard to see through the chop. It was hour 3 of a 4 hour trip when I caught the first fish and he doubled over in relief. The guy really worked his butt off.

If I feel like you know what you're doing, look like you're trying, and are decent to be around, I'm happy.

WCB

WKR
Geeze some of you guys....no naps? wtf. You know there are times/hunts where this has zero negative effect on the results? Shutting your eye for a half hour or so can do wonders for all involved.

I have guided and been a client. So these things are what I look for in a guide/outfitter and tried to do as a guide

-Honesty... be honest on game quality and how the hunt will be conducted/how you hunt or guide (lots of walking, glassing, etc.)
-Involve the client in the hunt and explain decisions (if there is time) and listen to suggestions from the client as another way of thinking is the key (sometimes)
-Know the terrain and game habits in the area. (obvious learning curve but if you have a day or two before clients arrive don't sit on your ass get out and scout or just look over the properties/terrain)
-Legality....goes without saying

Now also take into consideration when looking for a guide...be a good client

-Honesty...be honest on your shooting ability, experience, and fitness (#1 issue I see with clients)
-Be involved in the hunt and communicate with your guide. Voice your opinion and also realize that you hired a guide for a reason (this goes both ways...let them do their job but also bring nay concerns forward if they are not)
-Know your equipment...don't bring your brand new twisty turret rifle that you haven't put time behind and think the guide should let you throw lead all over the country side or have to ask the guide "hey do you know how this works"
-Be realistic in your expectations and do YOUR research. Hard as a guide to show you a 30" wide mule deer (which is a stupid way to judge them anyways) when they just aren't around.
-Realize it is still hunting. Weather (not only on your hunt) can effect animal movement/location, antler/horn growth.
-If a guide without hesitation upon seeing an animal says SHOOT IT...Just SHOOT IT

tntrker

WKR
Geeze some of you guys....no naps? wtf. You know there are times/hunts where this has zero negative effect on the results? Shutting your eye for a half hour or so can do wonders for all involved.
I have no problems with naps, when the RUT is not in effect. But then again, I hunt whitetails in a stand from an hour before sunrise to sunset. I too power nap, but very little. My comment on "a nap" was during a Moose hunt, during the rut, hunting upwind and the guide takes boots off and dozed a few hours. The next day it was 10am and he was already dozing after just reaching a spot. He "napped" while I called in my moose....

As long as you, the guide, clearly explain the risk associated with the hunter's decision. If it's a matter of safety, that's a no brainer. However, if it only involves a missed opportunity, then a painful lesson may be helpful.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think a big mistake some guides make is to be in front of the hunter when it's "crunch time" trying to get into position for a shot.

1) the hunter may be so juiced up, they may not realize their weapon is ready to rock and roll and they are stumbling along behind you.

2) does absolutely no good to be the guy that has the brief opportunity with no tag in your pocket.

3) adding to the previous reason, to be 20 to 30 feet ahead of the hunter because the guide stands 6' 2" giving his 25 year old crazy legs the ability to walk faster than the 55 year hunter from flatland country and you're hunting at 8,000' elevation.

MikeyJG62

FNG
I’ve gone on a quite a few guided trips. What I expect from a guide is he/she knows the area we’re hunting, has done some pre hunt scouting, works hard when an animal is harvested, doesn’t take themselves to seriously, and most importantly, has a decent sense of humor. I’m past the point in my hunting career where I need to kill a monster every time out. I wanna have a good time. I wanna work hard going after the animal, and I want to enjoy the time I spend pursuing that animal. Ive had guides that were super serious and good at what they do, but I didn’t enjoy the hunt. Best guide I had was a 22 year old woman in Idaho. She knew the area, had an unbelievable ability to spot animals, and was a blast to hunt with. She didn’t take herself to seriously, but she knew when to get serious. And we killed some nice animals. I’ll continue to hunt with her and that outfitter as long as I can afford it.

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
Takeaways so far in order of priority:

Safety. Ensure safe practices but do it without being overbearing or by belittling the client.

Know the area and know your game. I'm a fairly seasoned Elk and Deer hunter but can always know more about the area. Check. Pre-season scouting. Check.

Be ready to hunt as hard as your client is willing to. Don't assume their abilities or limitations, ask them if need be.

Don't be a dick. I thought that was a given but still a good thing to keep in mind. Remember that they paid a whole lot of money to spend this time in your presence, respect that.

Keep the thoughts coming. I'm mentally tracking all of the input so I can keep it at the forefront of my mind.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Those references of “go the pace of the client”, should work both ways. On one particular hunt, I was 58 and my guide was 28. We got after elk, and I beat him to the top of the mountain, and had to wait on him. I let him have it. Also for elk guides, i want a guide that can bugle, and know when and when not to call. Not just walk around squeezing a Hoochie Mama. And the guide needs to be willing to send the bow hunter towards the animal, and the caller drop back. One guide insisted I not leave his side. Cost me a good bull. The hunter and the guide need to know each other’s capabilities and each other’s weaknesses, right off the bat. I mainly just want a guide to help me pack the animal out. I know what to do when it’s showtime.

gbflyer

WKR
I would expect that my guide has experience being a guide. It’s a whole different ballgame from hunting for one’s self. A professional guide is mentored by other professionals, not turned loose with no experience being a guide. With that tutelage comes most all you need to know.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot great advice has been given. The only thing I would as is to adapt when the hunting isn’t going well. Try a new drainage, new tactic, new mindset. When I’ve been a client it can be frustrating to do the same thing without success for multiple days in a row. A guide who adapts can keep the trip fun through a rough hunt.

-Honesty... be honest on game quality and how the hunt will be conducted/how you hunt or guide (lots of walking, glassing, etc.)
-Involve the client in the hunt and explain decisions (if there is time) and listen to suggestions from the client as another way of thinking is the key (sometimes)
^^^This.

I was truly blessed and am full of gratitude for the bull my guide put me on last Sep. However, a little communication, expectation setting, honesty, and involvement would have been HUGE, especially when all the hunters in camp were on their first elk hunt. For everyone else that went home empty-handed without even an opportunity, being more actively involved in the hunt may have dramatically improved their overall experience and takeaways.