What do you want from your woman?

jahaze

FNG
I'm 30-years in myself. If my wife were to ask, I'd want her undivided attention for just one day. We both work, and she's spends an inordinate amount of time on her phone. ONE day, with no distractions, a long walk, dinner and time alone with her would be a memorable gift. Lost time together is something we will never get back. Make the most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
Does he enjoy wall art? I’m a sucker for a nice framed print on the wall of something of interest to me.

Gift cards for those expensive places a guy would never normally treat himself too (tool stores come to mind). Not gun stores, as their never to expensive when we want something from there.

nobody

WKR
When my parents hit 20 years (now at 32 as of February), mom bought dad a high dollar over under shotgun. Then at 30 years, she got him a super expensive rifle. Both of these were the type of thing that, although dad makes plenty of money, he never would’ve bought them for himself because he takes his role as provider very seriously. So mom did it for him, without him knowing (and with a little coaching from my brothers and myself).

Is there any type of firearm he’s been lusting after that’s 1000% a want but has no real need for, therefore he wouldn’t ever buy it for himself? I still remember dad’s face when he got both of those gifts, and he still talks about them like a little kid.

Dave Chappelle kind of nailed it in killing them softly.

He proved it doesn’t take a lot to make men happy. i won’t mention the first two items on the list, but the last two are make him a sandwich and don’t talk so much.

EdP

WKR
Like Nobody said above, if there is something he would like to have but won't buy for himself, that would be special. Things like that tend to be expensive by nature, that being the reason he didn't buy it in the first place. Then there is his birthday, Christmas, and another year of the same problem. It is an unnecessary emotional burden to impose on each other. A special meal and quiet time together is special too.

I'm not a big fan of the "buy him a hunt" answer. A big part of the fun of a hunt is the deciding and planning phase and the decisions made are highly personal. Things like what animal, where, and what outfitter. Also, how would you feel if the outfitter you picked turned out to suck?

The difficulty in answering your question is why the wife and I, now 48 years in, only buy very small gifts for each other anymore.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I just had a birthday. My wife baked cookies and was nice to me for a couple days. That seems pretty good to me.

The problem with her buying me stuff is that my hobbies are extremely niche. I will buy some muzzleloader bullets and arrow components this week but they are very very specifically sized for what I need. The next level of items that I want are all $700+ because they are things I can’t bring myself to spend the money on (Kodiak canvas tent, .223 rifle, dirt bike).

elkguide

WKR
My wife is the most amazing woman ever. People often call their spouse "their better half." Mine is my better 99%.... (she'd get the entire 100% but she has to lose something for being foolish enough for marrying me!) My wife is so thoughtful and goes out of her way to find special, meaningful gifts for everyone in our lives. I've learned that the only safe thing that I can buy her is jewelry and after 47 years of marriage, I have to work hard to find something for her. We've come to an agreement (not to her liking) that as long as I can go hunting, that is all that I want for my birthday, Father's Day, Christmas and any other special event. We have learned that we need to spend time together and continually work on our relationship as that is the most important thing. While she was raised in a city and I was raised on a farm, she shows interest in my passion, even though she has zero understanding or interest in hunting. She's always there for me and I try and reciprocate and go with her to sit on a beach or spend the day shopping with her.
So, after a long-winded walk around the barn, be there for him. If you want to get something for him, give him a card, that says, we need to sit down and plan on arranging a hunt or getting a rifle/bow/handgun, that he wouldn't normally splurge on. Whatever you decide on, being there for him with a smile, hug and a kiss is the most special thing that can happen. Good luck in your long-term relationship.

My lady bought me a bottle of whiskey, a basket of snacks, and wrote me a nice note for my recent birthday.

Like many of the responses here, I just buy the things I want or they're very niche and/or expensive. I really wouldn't want most gear type things to be purchased for me.

She's wonderful and does much for me regularly but, I greatly appreciate when she just takes care of stuff (insert anything that I have put off) without asking me. That, for me, is a great gift.

TSAMP

WKR
My lady bought me a bottle of whiskey, a basket of snacks, and wrote me a nice note for my recent birthday.

Like many of the responses here, I just buy the things I want or they're very niche and/or expensive. I really wouldn't want most gear type things to be purchased for me.

She's wonderful and does much for me regularly but, I greatly appreciate when she just takes care of stuff (insert anything that I have put off) without asking me. That, for me, is a great gift.
Big fan of the notes. I don't really take compliementals well and prefer to avoid those type of conversations as a whole. So a nice personal note Is always appreciated.

I was hospitalized for 4 days as a child and Mom gave me a stuffed lion to keep me company. Years later my dog ate the face off. My lovely wife put the pieces into a bag and kept it in a closet.

Fifteen years later she secretly coordinated a repair with her, my mom, and her mom each contributing to his revival based on their sewing skill set.

She surprised me on my birthday by quietly placing my long lost friend on the dining room table, saying nothing. I was extremely touched that she had somehow found an almost identical stuffed animal 50 years after Mom gave mine to me. Then she smiled into my eyes and said, "It's YOUR lion." She explained how the three women I love most had risen my old companion from the dead; this was MY lion. Though I was in my late 50s, I cried like a child. It was one of the most touching gifts I have ever received.

Something built on love is far more meaningful than anything you can buy for him.

His scars carry more love than I can express. And I love his new face.
20180826_200344.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Anniversary. 27 years. I’m out of ideas. He has most every hunting and shooting item on the planet.
Short of hiring him a h@@ker to come to the house, what is left?
What do men want? Gift certificate? Ammo? Cake?
After 27 years, the materialistic gifts kind of lose their luster, anyhow. Another clock for the wall, some ammo sent down range, or carved wood duck for the shelf won’t really be remembered for long as it’s collecting dust anyhow. I’d suggest doing something together, make a memory that is different than something you’ve done before. Go on a catamaran ride to see a glacier calving up close, go on a guided fishing trip for half a day, hike to some place you’ve never been, rent jet skis, get dropped off by a float plane to some remote location for a picnic, etc.

If all else fails just go with your original instinct….

Good luck!