Brett01b

FNG
Upgrading:
SBE 2 to a SBE 3
Old Sitka gradient to new one
Adding more Sitka solids to my scouting/everyday gear

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Replacing my current 65L pack with a 2020 Mystery Ranch Selway GL MT and a MR daypack lid "should be here in a day or so" . The Selway and daypack lid will give me the same capacity as a metcalf, but I like the y zipper on the Selway and Pintler. Should fit the bill perfectly for my 5-7 day hunts.

Next will be my boots. Have 8 years on my Hanwag Alaskans "great boots". Going to pick up a set of Hanwag Trapper Tops. Be a little warmer on those later season glassing sessions.

Last edited:
I am switching pack systems over too exo. I am getting a late season quilt for those really cold temps instead of a bag.

I read about quilts in David Longs book The Edge. I am super interested in the idea. Are they really warmer than a bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiredfeet

FNG
Boots for sure, my old asolo have been ok but are way past their prime and should have been replaced a few years ago. Either I am too cheap or they fit into the “they’ll do” category, I think I have a bit of gear that falls into the later. So Boots it is.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
UGQ Bandit XL 20 degree quilt to replace an old North Face synthetic bag. The quilt is lighter, warmer, and fits me much better than that old mummy bag.

Soto Windmaster to replace my Jetboil. I like the Jetboil and it'll reside in my truck fulltime for day hunt usage, but it weighs 14.7 oz. while the Soto with a 650ml Toaks titanium pot weigh in at a combined 5.1 oz. That's a no brainer for weight savings while on a backpack hunt.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I read about quilts in David Longs book The Edge. I am super interested in the idea. Are they really warmer than a bag?

It depends honestly. A lot of it boils down to how manufacturers measure the temperature rating of their bags/quilts. Most large companies go for a survivability rating (i.e. a 20 degree bag means you'll survive at 20 but you definitely won't be comfortable), that holds true for both sleeping bags and quilts made by those huge corps. But when you delve into the realm of cottage manufacturers, many of them use a comfort rating for their quilts as opposed to a survivability one.

What always holds true though is that between a quilt and a bag of equivalent temperature ratings, the quilt will be lighter and more packable.

The big one for me was I finally ordered a real set of glass. Been making due with a super old and cheap pair of Nikon knockers and now I'll be stepping in to big boy glass. Cant wait for them to arrive.

Gonna be replacing some of my rifle hunting clothing. Switching to seek outside for my pack from the kuiu i currently have. Gonna place an order friday just gotta make up my mind, cause im also seriously considering upgrading my cimarron lite to the cimarron ultralite at the same time. Also i think I'm gonna pick up a 6.5 prc but these upgrades are really starting to add up so i may skip the tent upgrade lol

Moserkr

WKR
Decided to rebuild my boat for fun and fishing so hunting gear I want probably isnt happening this year lol. Just need to work harder and make more money!!

Wish list:
New sleeping bag, or new quilt/pad.
SO Cimarron DCF
Spotting scope and tripod - would love a swaro ATM but will probably get a maven cs1 first.
All big ticket, Im dialed otherwise.

Need list:
More practice shooting
Workout

Needs will have to do for the year, cost much less and will increase success much more.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
1) Black Diamond Storm headlamp.... I’m tired of stumbling over obstacles in the dark while using the Red lamp. It’s weak as hell, it has a poor “flood pattern”.

*** I’m on the prowl for ANY lamp that has a RED SPOTLIGHT!

2) Vortex Razor HD 12x50 Binos. I’m wanting to upgrade to Swarovksi 10x42 Range EL. Been great binos, just want to go to next level

3) Vortex 4000 HD Rangefinder. See #2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks. I had a bunch of gear stolen when I was driving home from a late season cow elk hunt in Oregon. At least they didn’t take my cooler full of meat. I’ve never had a problem with other hunters stealing stuff, it’s everyone else you have to worry about.

Curious what town you were near? No I’m not wanting to know your cow hunting spot, so I do understand

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ordered a couple of new flashlights yesterday. A new Nitecore 1000 lumen light to keep in my truck and an inexpensive light for my basecamp tent for trips to the bath room, water etc., I wil also be getting a Fenix edc light that weighs less than 2 oz with a 90 degree head and magnetic base with both white and red lights to keep in my pocket when hunting. Like my new Nitecore headlamp, all of these lights are rechargeable and can use cr123a batteries. They all also use the exact same charging cord. I am no longer taking any lights hunting or in my truck that use AA or AAA batteries. Rechargeable lights, a single cord type and not having to pack three different size batteries for different flashlights and headlamps will be an improvement for me.

Is the red light on the Fenix a flood or spot style? Bout to toss all my BLackdiamonds in the rash

Optics upgrade, either glass or thermal. A bit of gunsmithing for a couple of favorite rifles that deserve it.

Mosby

WKR
Is the red light on the Fenix a flood or spot style? Bout to toss all my BLackdiamonds in the rash

It's more of a flood. It is the LD15R light. The red light on it is only 4 lumens so it isn't going to have much throw. But it should be all I need inside my truck or tent.

One of the headlamps I got is the Nitecore NU32. Its dual red lights are 9 lumens. It has a decent spot throw for a red light fwiw.