What gear was a pleasant surprise?

Loco4dux

WKR
WM Sequoia
Kifaru Lite - didn't like it at first, grew to love it
CA ridgeline

JohnnyB

WKR
First Lite Corrugate jacket- perfect early season or as an outer layer over puffy
Tikka t3x lite- love it
Inreach mini- has been tremendously helpful lowering family stress when I hunt alone.

I could not do without my commercial gagnon line....for everything from guying out, hanging meat, lashing down gear, etc., it is the best cordage money can buy....makes paracord or tarred twine look like a joke....

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Leer cap for my truck. Was hesitant to buy and put it on, but found an incredible deal off craigslist and couldnt pass it up. Its been three years and I cant imagine having a truck without one now. Such a peace of mind when I have it full of waterfowl decoys, my whitetail climber and gear bag, surf fishing gear, or when camping. Only negative is I can not longer haul an atv without a trailer.

Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 Firedot. I put one on my son’s rifle and was impressed with how good the glass is for the price. Side by side it compares to my friend’s Leica, for about 1/3 the price.

Kuiu zip off merino longjohns. My family gave me several to Kuiu items a couple years ago for my birthday and these were the only things I kept. There a great idea that actually works.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Z fold thermarest seat. Makes a big difference on a ridge especially given I’ve had back surgery in the past.

Really was surprised by the Kryptek Aquillo down jacket. Just awesome. And I have had more than 10 down or synthetic puffy jackets from Sitka, UA, Kryptek, Canada Goose, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face and Mammut. Surprised how warm it is and how light it is. Great hood too.

First Lite Obsidian Pant. They are like wearing a pair of pajamas in the field. They dry super quick and dont stink. California Manzanita is tough on them, but I keep going back for the comfort and ease of movement.

Asolo Boots from Sierra Trading post. Lovely fit, stiff enough, quality seems excellent and the price was easy on the pocketbook.

Any merino short sleeve shirt for a baselayer. Once you spend the money you wont go back to anything else.

First lite wool socks. they are like heaven on the feet.

SoDaky

WKR
Swaro 15s.They make a difference!
$19 wrangler pants that are tough,comfortable and quiet.
Kennetrk Hardscrabbles.Tough and protective!

Elevens sleeping bag. 15 degree down bag that weighs 2 lbs. I was skeptical when I bought it from Amazon for $90, but I've spent a few nights in it when it got down to the rating. So far I'm impressed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tried a Google search with no luck. Is this like Mule Tape?
This stuff: https://www.seamar.com/item/EVR95060/TWINE-GANGEN-60-WH-2-/

Because it has stiffness, it holds knots great but also allows them to be untied easily...best there is for bowlines, taut line hitches, clove hitch, square knot, etc....I have used it to stitch the fenders back on my 4 wheeler after the crappy little plastic rivets tore out from riding through brush....tie onto a bull moose's hoof you can roll him onto his back with ease....many uses.

CJF

WKR
My purple blow up Thermarest pillow. Just would not hunt without!

New gear that made me happy this last fall...

Kennetrek Grizzly Pac boots... once it got cold in Wyoming, I wore these damn near every day, and they were AWESOME! I was worried that I would not be able to hike well in them, but I found that was definitely not the case.

KUIU glassing pad... made it way more comfy during those long glassing sits on the rocky ridges, and also kept my butt warm.

Coleman Big Game sleeping bag... I wanted a bag that was roomier, warmer and more comfortable to sleep in on the cot in camp and this bag did not dissapoint. I probably slept around 70 nights in this bag... maybe I should wash it...

Slik 724 CF Pro tripod... I upgraded to this tripod from a Schonfeld which was actually a decent tripod. The Slik is lighter, sturdier (and steadier in the wind) and easy and fast to deploy and pack up. It is also tall enough that I can stand behind it if needed, which I could not do with the Schonfeld.

Mtnops Hot Ignite mountain mocha... made for a warm and tastey, pick me up on those cold mornings!

Sitka Cloudburst rain jacket and pants... just bombproof. I probably put 40+ days in the field in these this year and not a single tear or mark on them. Rain gear normally takes a beating over a season of guiding in Wyoming, on horseback, but the Cloudburst set stood up to all the punishment I could dish out. Very happy it made it through the season and I will be using it again next year.

Last edited:

280ack

FNG
Milt Sparks 1-3/4" belt and Milt Sparks AW holster to carry the N frame
Nemo Down 0 deg bag
Kuiu Attack pants- the biggest surprise !

The big Agnus UL3 was really nice. I stayed in it for about 14 days. Perfect 1 man 3 person tent. lol

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Maven B2's and a tripod. The more I use these the more I kick myself for not buying them sooner