What happened to OnX this year?

Great thread. I'm having lots of issues this year, too. My saved waypoints disappear for weeks and then reappear.

There is a lot of room for a competidor to come in and steal this market. I had a couple minor issues, but last year, was a disaster with private lands dropping off, etc. There is alot to be desired with Onx. It does what it does, I guess I had auto-renewal on, so I just paid another year, ,but that's soon to change if they can't get their bugs fixed.

Jethro

WKR
OnX is the crispi of mapping software. You never know if someone actually likes it or they’re getting paid to say they like it.
Improvements could be made for sure, but I like OnX. I’m not being paid to say it. I also had a pair of Crispi Thors for 2 weeks. I didn’t like them.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my issues, but I'm also a newer user so I don't know if it's normal or not.

I use the OnX map chip in my Garmin. Have never used the cell app and haven't had any issues with the chip granted I've only used it for a couple of years.

Sounds like there's been some problems over the years, which honestly I've not been aware of. Are the problems generally limited to the phone apps (that's sort of what it sounds like from this thread)? Or do the chips have their own set of common issues too? I'm just trying to anticipate what problems I might encounter before I do.

I’m a Gaia user. Once you learn how to use it (and it is a bit more complicated to learn), it is quite powerful and highly customizable.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Worked great for me so far. I’ve found that most of these issues with apps are a lot of times actually issues with the phone itself, software compatibility, or simple fixes that are unknown to the person.

For example the guys having trouble getting thier saved offline maps to load. If your phone still has a little bit of service, onX will default to using that little bit of service to attempt to download the map instead of using the saved one on your phone, which wont work well. Turn on airplane mode and onX will default to the saved map, and Work correctly.

cnelk

WKR
Last year it was an issue that OnX wouldn’t recognize an iPhone or some BS like that. I lost waypoints last year

This year was even worse. Glitchy, no boundaries, effing 3D BETA rollout in September....

OnX had better really up their game soon.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Best to have solid back up plans/tools. Depending on a bunch of tech dorks to make you successful in the mountains is not advised. They need to lower membership dues if they want to compete in the long run.

I’ve had no issues with onX, zero. Someone above made a good point that is easy to overlook. If you are using offline maps, PUT PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE. I’ve seen the no maps:green blob issue but only when phone was not in airplane mode. Once placed in airplane mode everything g worked flawless

PredatorX

WKR
Nah even in airplane mode I too lost all of my waypoints for a few days.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using OnX for about a year and for the most part really like it. It has a few quirks but I haven’t experienced any deal breakers. The one that really drives me nuts though (and it might just be the way I hold and use my phone) is it seems like when panning across the map or zooming my finger always hits the button to change to topo or vise versa. Drives me crazy.

tdhanses

WKR
OnX really sucked this year. From having to go back to civilization to redownload the maps after they didn't download properly, to terrible programming on the downloads, to topographical benches that end up being ravines, etc., I am thinking about trying something else. Luckily my brother had offline maps or we would have been in a world of hurt.

Anyone else have issues or have a better system?
All I can say is once you go Gaia you don’t go back.

tdhanses

WKR
I had an almost identical experience in August. My saved maps wouldn't load, so I opened a case with tech support at OnX. They tried to fix it through several emails and ended up telling me I had to delete the app and start all over. I literally had 32gigs of maps saved through-out AZ, CO, & NM. If it weren't for all of my saved waypoints I would have tried something else.
Just google it you can easily download your onX waypoints and upload them to any map app.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Mine works flawlessly. Except in the middle of hunting season this year and last year when they decided that huge updates that make all my downloaded maps useless should be pushed out in the middle of the season. Seriously. Push out all your updates in July so that you can fix all the bugs and let it just work during the season.

TX_Diver

WKR
Worked for me with the exception of the app quitting multiple times while I was using the "tracker" feature. Tried it in airplane mode, low power mode, regular mode, etc. to no avail.

I'm fine that they released a Beta version of the 3d mid season as it's been an interesting tool to play with as I scout for other hunts.