What is the attraction of elk hunting?

I only bowhunt public OTC units in Colorado. I've killed 11 bulls in the last 13 years with a bow, and only two of them have been under 300. Take from that what you will. If you haven't seen a bull bigger than a raghorn, the problem is probably your skillset.

My attraction to them is they are delicious. Their racks are majestic and huge. Calling with them is probably my single most favorite thing to do in my life that doesn't involve my kids. My pursuits of them take me to incredible places all overt the West, in addition to CO. Did I say they are delicious?
I'm sorry but you haven't hunted enough. There are many places that bulls don't live past three. A good check is look at each years calf crop. As it dwindles into the 20% range or less, its obvious that the bow pressure is so intense at their most vulnerable time that they just don't live long enough to make a calf.

I hunt nearly 100 square miles every year for 35 days or 45 days. I haven't seen anything bigger than a spindly 5 pt in over than 10 years. Even in the off season. I haven't seen a 300+ bull since 1983. They just don't live long enough on public land in Montana without substantial controls to grow decent horns.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sorry but you haven't hunted enough. There are many places that bulls don't live past three. A good check is look at each years calf crop. As it dwindles into the 20% range or less, its obvious that the bow pressure is so intense at their most vulnerable time that they just don't live long enough to make a calf.

I hunt nearly 100 square miles every year for 35 days or 45 days. I haven't seen anything bigger than a spindly 5 pt in over than 10 years. Even in the off season. I haven't seen a 300+ bull since 1983. They just don't live long enough on public land in Montana without substantial controls to grow decent horns.
You're sorry but I haven't hunted enough?

LMAO, then where did all the bulls on my wall come from?

If you hunted 35-45 days a year every year and haven't seen a 300+ since 1983, even in the off-season, you are a shitty hunter. I could post hundreds and hundreds of pictures, trail cameras images and video from OTC units in Colorado with mature bulls in it.

Also, it doesn't take a 6-point to breed cows. IF there were no mature herd bulls, any male elk regardless of age class would still breed the cows. Your "bowhunters prevent elk from breeding" is false. Call any wildlife biologist from any state with a bow season for elk and ask them.

Last edited:

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my last bull from Montana.

General tag. Public land.

Maybe you don't consider this bull to have decent horns? Also, they aren't actually horns, they're antlers, since we are discussing facts.

IMG_1194.JPG

Last edited:
Kinda an odd question and it’s hard to put in writing exactly what I mean. I’m not talking about good quality tags, limited units anything like that.

I’m talking Colorado OTC, public land, success of 10% type hunts. How are people lining up by the thousands to pay 760.00 plus time off work, fuel, food, gear etc for this type of experience?

I guess I just don’t get it. There are far more challenging animals to hunt than raghorn bulls, IMO a big mature whitetail is far more challenging to kill.

From the woods with way to many hunters, non hunting outdoor rec, small, quiet bulls that don’t really even act like elk etc. Are people genuinely happy with this type of experience or is it just kinda a novelty that is something new to try?
If you have to ask that question you'd likely not get it (as in a proper answer). Let me guess you are an Eastern/Midwest whitetail hunter? I love hunting WTs, too. Done it all my life. But nothing compares to chasing elk up in the mountains every Fall whether it be Limited Entry or OTC units. A quality experience is what you make of it.

"You can't cheat the mountain".

Never done CO OTC. With a hint of planning it's been easy to have a (what I assume is) better elk tag every year, hard tellin how long that will last though.

also agree that a mature whitetail is tougher than a raghorn bull but of course that is location specific. I grew up in MN hunting whitetails and I've never killed one I'd consider "nice". Have shot a handful of bulls and more than not id put above raghorn status. Hunting elk is a hell of a lot more fun IMO. For me, the journey is the fun part in whitetails. Most of the hunting part is boring.

Here's my last bull from Montana.

General tag. Public land.

Maybe you don't consider this bull to have decent horns? Also, they aren't actually horns, their antlers, since we are discussing facts.

View attachment 565582
Send me a pm when you break 75. Why would I ask a biologist? The one for our district said she han't been in the field in the last five years. On top of that my first degree was in wildlife management.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Send me a pm when you break 75. Why would I ask a biologist? The one for our district said she han't been in the field in the last five years. On top of that my first degree was in wildlife management.
I'm assuming you're talking about age, which has nothing to do at all with any of the non-factual, incorrect statements you made.

Call the RMEF and ask them your questions. That should shed some light on the situation. Speaking of sheds...

If you have a degree in wildlife management and you think what elk carry on the tops of their heads are horns, that says all I need to know about the quality of the education you received.

Last edited:

ID_Snow

FNG
Kinda an odd question and it’s hard to put in writing exactly what I mean. I’m not talking about good quality tags, limited units anything like that.

I’m talking Colorado OTC, public land, success of 10% type hunts. How are people lining up by the thousands to pay 760.00 plus time off work, fuel, food, gear etc for this type of experience?

I guess I just don’t get it. There are far more challenging animals to hunt than raghorn bulls, IMO a big mature whitetail is far more challenging to kill.

From the woods with way to many hunters, non hunting outdoor rec, small, quiet bulls that don’t really even act like elk etc. Are people genuinely happy with this type of experience or is it just kinda a novelty that
Fill the freezer! Not a bad way to spend some time and use your lungs either.

Wags

WKR
Ahhh, so you get a lot of flat tires? That's the only way to truly measure whether you succeeded or not, especially to the 100% level.

I've actually had good experiences. I treat everyone with respect in the field and on the roads. A little respect and ethics go a long way.

rayporter

WKR
what is the attraction, indeed. we traveled 1500mi from ohio to hunt elk and 5 minutes after i climbed in the saddle i was hooked. i had not even seen one yet, but i was hooked. we did not kill one that year but the following year we each killed one. it was the beginning of a great run.

it was something we dreamed about every day. i cant go anymore but i still dream about elk.

go while you can---your time is limited.

I'm assuming you're talking about age, which has nothing to do at all with any of the non-factual, incorrect statements you made.

Call the RMEF and ask them your questions. That should shed some light on the situation. Speaking of sheds...

If you have a degree in wildlife management and you think what elk carry on the tops of their heads are horns, that says all I need to know about the quality of the education you received.
75 elk. I'm not inclined to spar with tdiots

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Idiot?

You just said you've hunted 35-45 days, every single year on average and you haven't seen a nice 6-point (300+) since 1983? That's 1,600 days afield across a 40 year period. PLUS, you said that included off-seasons. You live in Montana and you have never seen a decent 6-point on wintering ground in 40 years?

First, you claim to be literally the worst hunter I've ever heard of, THEN you say don't talk until I've killed 75 bulls.

Congratulations, you are the only person to log 4.4 years of elk hunting anywhere, ever, and not see a mature bull. You are also the only Montanan in history to go 40 winters without seeing one either. Yep, I totally believe that guy killed 75 bulls.

From the woods with way to many hunters, non hunting outdoor rec, small, quiet bulls that don’t really even act like elk etc. Are people genuinely happy with this type of experience or is it just kinda a novelty that is something new to try?
Never hunter CO OTC but I would be willing to try it for the sake of the experience. Try to get as much of a variety of hunts in a lifetime even if they seem insignificant or not worth the money per say.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunter CO OTC but I would be willing to try it for the sake of the experience. Try to get as much of a variety of hunts in a lifetime even if they seem insignificant or not worth the money per say.
If you want to try it. I'd suggest doing it this year, next year or both.

Unlimited OTC tags for non-residents will almost certainly be discontinued in 2025. The new 75%/25% R/NR allocations will be in effect as well.

If you want to try it. I'd suggest doing it this year, next year or both.

Unlimited OTC tags for non-residents will almost certainly be discontinued in 2025. The new 75%/25% R/NR allocations will be in effect as well.
Thanks for the heads up I will definitely look into it. They just did away with unlimited OTC tags for non-res here in AZ for archery deer. I better get on it thank you!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up I will definitely look into it. They just did away with unlimited OTC tags for non-res here in AZ for archery deer. I better get on it thank you!
You're welcome.

And, thank you.

I didn't know those tags were going away in AZ, appreciate the info. It's too bad, I liked that January hunt even though it could be tough one