What is you hunting suppressor?

jhm2023

WKR
I've had my AB Raptor 8 stack for a few months now. That thing sounds incredible compared to my other cans and at only 8 ounces, it's now my go to for hunting. It will be living on my Seekins Element 6.5 PRC for the duration of hunting season this year. I was really hoping, although false hope, that my 10 stack would be approved prior to season to put on a fieldcraft, but it looks like e-filed form 4s are a good bit past the touted 90 days now. That's ok the Radiant can stay on the fieldcraft for now, it's still a nice hunting can.

JGRaider

WKR
Really like it, and it does a very nice job of suppression given it's short length. Haven't found a negative yet.

JGRaider

WKR
I use the quick detach muzzle break that comes with it. Using it so far on my 6.5 CM CTR.

Currently using a Sandman-S on a 20" 308 Bergara Ridge and a Dead Air Mask on a Ruger 10/22 backpacker. Took my first deer with a 16" tuned AR and the sandman back in December and I can't imagine hunting without a can. Will probably pick up a dedicated Ti Bolt gun can in the near future.

Unckebob

WKR
Q Half Nelson on a 16" 308.

Silencerco Saker is great but too heavy for hunting. Silencerco hybrid feels good, but not as quiet. Those are all I have; still not crazy about the feel of a suppressor on a normal length barrel, but I need to try it again. I bought a 20" 6.5 creed to suppress for deer hunting, and I wasn't happy with the velocity I was getting from the shorter barrel.

I also prefer direct thread for hunting rifles. Much simpler and repeatable. I was always fiddling with getting the muzzle device right for my Saker ASR.

How do you like your Half Nelson? I called Silencer Shop today for advise on a new hunting only can (300 WM Mac I could ever possibly need) that was direct thread. I want it light and am willing to give up some sound suppression for weight savings.

Guy recommended Hyperion K which requires a muzzle device. ???
His second choice was the half nelson. Because of his first suggestion, I am suspicious of his recommendation.

I have a Dead Air Nomad which I like, but I have converted it to use the Area 519 adapters on my target rifles.

tak

WKR
How do you like your Half Nelson? I called Silencer Shop today for advise on a new hunting only can (300 WM Mac I could ever possibly need) that was direct thread. I want it light and am willing to give up some sound suppression for weight savings.

His second choice was the half nelson. Because of his first suggestion, I am suspicious of his recommendation.

I have a Dead Air Nomad which I like, but I have converted it to use the Area 519 adapters on my target rifles.

I love it, it does anything and everything. It's my most used can. I have others, but I always grab the half Nelson. I use it on 308, 6.5CM, 300blk bolt gun, and I used it once on my 280AI. I can't comment on the performance for a 300WM, but the half Nelson is very effective. It's much quieter than my silencerco Hybrid which is about the same size and weight.
I'm not familiar with the Hyperion K, but the specs look pretty good.
I'd like to compare the half Nelson side by side to the Thunderbeast ultra 5 and Thunderbeast Dominus. The thunderbeasts have the same issue with needing a muzzle device, and as far as I know, the direct thread versions just have the device welded into the can. The thunderbeast are lighter, but not sure by how much when you add the muzzle device.

It sounds like you know you want direct thread, especially if you are familiar with the 419 adaptors. I just can't see the value of an adaptor for a hunting suppressor. At some point it just becomes a stack of thread adaptors and you're stacking tolerances and adding potential failure points. I love the 419 hellfire and self timing adaptor on my match gun. I'm not sure what other true direct thread suppressors would fit your criteria.

Let me know if if you have any other questions or want any actual weights, dimensions, pictures, etc on the half Nelson.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
I love it, it does anything and everything. It's my most used can. I have others, but I always grab the half Nelson. I use it on 308, 6.5CM, 300blk bolt gun, and I used it once on my 280AI. I can't comment on the performance for a 300WM, but the half Nelson is very effective. It's much quieter than my silencerco Hybrid which is about the same size and weight.
I'm not familiar with the Hyperion K, but the specs look pretty good.
I'd like to compare the half Nelson side by side to the Thunderbeast ultra 5 and Thunderbeast Dominus. The thunderbeasts have the same issue with needing a muzzle device, and as far as I know, the direct thread versions just have the device welded into the can. The thunderbeast are lighter, but not sure by how much when you add the muzzle device.

It sounds like you know you want direct thread, especially if you are familiar with the 419 adaptors. I just can't see the value of an adaptor for a hunting suppressor. At some point it just becomes a stack of thread adaptors and you're stacking tolerances and adding potential failure points. I love the 419 hellfire and self timing adaptor on my match gun. I'm not sure what other true direct thread suppressors would fit your criteria.

Let me know if if you have any other questions or want any actual weights, dimensions, pictures, etc on the half Nelson.

Thank you.

kthomas

FNG
Will be using this, my new Abel Co. Biscuit.

It's 5.5" long, 1.80" in diameter, but heavy(ish) at 16 ozs. Sound suppression is about the same as my wife's Omega. Very nice tone, great recoil impulse.

PXL_20220823_211134542.PORTRAIT.jpg

If I was to get a lighter suppressor for hunting use, the TBAC Dominus seems to be just the perfect all-around lightweight option that's currently out there.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The Hyperion K is direct thread. It is also one of the best cans on the market, and in my and quite a few others experience maybe the best overall can on the market.

Unckebob

WKR
The Hyperion K is direct thread. It is also one of the best cans on the market, and in my and quite a few others experience maybe the best overall can on the market.

I reached out to the company to make sure I understood the specs because the guy at Silencer Shop was confusing. They cleared it up for me. For most rifles (almost all), there will not be a problem using the can as a direct thread.

But, there are some rifles (not a lot, but non zero) with small diameter barrels which will require the use of their muzzle device to mount up properly.

I have to say, their customer service person was outstanding.

Last edited:

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running a 22" on my 6.5 SAUM with the TBAC Ultra 9 (6.5 mm) which would be similar to running a 28" barrel plus a brake. That's about as long as I'd care to go.

But now the 2nd generation ultras are improved enough that the 7" cans are about as good as the 9" 1st gen cans.
I'd like to add in a 2nd generation ultra 7 in 30 caliber and have a 24" 300 wsm spun up. I'd make it heavy though to help with recoil.

TBAC has also announced their Magnus 30 caliber cans that suppress even better but without checking I think it's 9".
I'd still want to do the ultra 7 / 24" barrel wsm.

java

FNG
Currently using a Dead Air Nomad L on a T3X that's been cut to 18" and threaded 9/16x24. I opted for the non-titanium version, as I intend to use it on multiple rifles where it'll see a fairly high round count. Love the can, but if all you're doing is hunting, then the LT (titanium) might be a better pick. Still, for the size and performance of the L, 18 oz isn't too bad.

That said, I have a CGS Hyperion K on the way. That'll be a dedicated light-weight hunting can.

I love my TBAC Ultra 9 (the gen 1). For a range gun it’s great. Gassy on an AR, but I don’t like those anyway.

If I buy another, it will be a 5. That would be a slick can for a hunting rifle, at similar performance to the gen 1 7”. Probably won’t though, the 9 is just lovely.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I love my TBAC Ultra 9 (the gen 1). For a range gun it’s great. Gassy on an AR, but I don’t like those anyway.

If I buy another, it will be a 5. That would be a slick can for a hunting rifle, at similar performance to the gen 1 7”. Probably won’t though, the 9 is just lovely.

The TBAC 5 can barely be considered a can at all, and it is nowhere close to hearing safe.

kthomas

FNG

I would look at the Dominus before the 5. Slightly longer, but much more volume and better suppression.