What is you hunting suppressor?

Lawnboi

WKR
Surprising about the ultra 5. I really want one specifically in 6.5 aperture for dedicated 223 use. Wonder if it would be good on a smaller powder column.

Only going to save me a couple inches and a couple ounces over the 7 that’s already on there though.m

I’d also like to try a Hyperion K but they need to get rid of that sig taper first.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Rex silentium mg7k in .264. Would I get one again? Yes, but only cause I think their cool lol. They aren’t worth the cost or hassle if your only goal is hunting. Consider the trade offs.

Hunting with suppressor: heavier (usually about 3/4-1lb), middle of the road recoil managment aka not as good as a break but better than an open muzzle, just barely hearing safe but I still wear ear pro because they are still LOUD!

Hunting with ear plugs: run a break for the best recoil managment, don’t forget earplugs at home, nearly weightless.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Surprising about the ultra 5. I really want one specifically in 6.5 aperture for dedicated 223 use. Wonder if it would be good on a smaller powder column.

Only going to save me a couple inches and a couple ounces over the 7 that’s already on there though.m

The Ultra 5 is effing loud. I would not and do not shoot one without muffs.

I’d also like to try a Hyperion K but they need to get rid of that sig taper first.

You don’t have to use the taper. I/we use multiple K’s on barrels without the taper.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Rex silentium mg7k in .264. Would I get one again? Yes, but only cause I think their cool lol. They aren’t worth the cost or hassle if your only goal is hunting. Consider the trade offs.

Hunting with suppressor: heavier (usually about 3/4-1lb), middle of the road recoil managment aka not as good as a break but better than an open muzzle, just barely hearing safe but I still wear ear pro because they are still LOUD!

Quite a few suppressors are impact hearing safe on most rifles.

Hunting with ear plugs: run a break for the best recoil managment, don’t forget earplugs at home, nearly weightless.

Even with plugs and muffs, most muzzle brakes are not hearing safe.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider

I run an MAE suppressor which is a similar volume to the Ultra 5 and I could not imagine running it on a .308 size cartridge, its just too small to make much difference.

However you're on the right track thinking of using it on a .223, while mine isn't as quiet as larger volume suppressors, it is a noticeable reduction in noise and I much prefer the more compact suppressor.
If I'm bench shooting I still wear plugs, for hunting where I only fire maybe a half doz shots I feel its fine, no ringing ears afterwards

Lawnboi

WKR
I run an MAE suppressor which is a similar volume to the Ultra 5 and I could not imagine running it on a .308 size cartridge, its just too small to make much difference.

However you're on the right track thinking of using it on a .223, while mine isn't as quiet as larger volume suppressors, it is a noticeable reduction in noise and I much prefer the more compact suppressor.
If I'm bench shooting I still wear plugs, for hunting where I only fire maybe a half doz shots I feel its fine, no ringing ears afterwards
I used to use an optimus micro on my 223 bolt gun, that’s 5” and around 1.3” diameter. It’s not as quiet as my bigger cans but was way better than bare muzzle.

Surprisingly on that rifle I could hardly tell the difference between the 223 with a 5” can and my 6.5cm with my gemtech tracker. But the tracker is 90s tech.

Lawnboi

WKR
I find it strange when people show up at the range or hunting with just muffs shooting a braked magnum. Things still as loud as bare muzzle with the muffs.

I think any suppressor is better than none.

Side note I wish steel matches would do suppressor only squads. I’d get rid of my brakes tomorrow.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I find it strange when people show up at the range or hunting with just muffs shooting a braked magnum. Things still as loud as bare muzzle with the muffs.

I think any suppressor is better than none.

That’s people not understanding the subject.

For all-

A braked magnum rifle is generally 170+ dBs. The best muffs worn correctly (almost no one does) are about a 28dB reduction. That’s still over the 140 decibel “accepted” limit of short random sounds. Going to the range and shooting 20 rounds at 140dBs will and does damage hearing. Adding plugs doesn’t increase the sound protection by a whole lot, aka- 30dB muffs with 30dB plugs doesn’t reduce sound by 60dB. If everything is worn absolutely correctly, it’s about a 40dB reduction with muffs and plugs.

Side note I wish steel matches would do suppressor only squads. I’d get rid of my brakes tomorrow.

Suppressor only diversions.

Lawnboi

WKR
Suppressor only diversions.
That would be great. Generally with plugs, muffs and mild cartridges I’m fine after a day of 100 braked shots, I also wear sealed safety glasses for the whole shoot. What kills me is I end up spotting for someone and get blasted a bunch. Until now Iv been using a brake as a crutch for shooting a little bigger and lighter gun but that might change next year.

My mind shoots suppressed much easier. That blast effects my trigger finger greater than the push.

There absolutely are hearing safe suppressors.
Again, I don't even know what you mean by hearing safe. What decibel number does that translate to at shooter's ear and for how many shots? And if you're talking about 1-2 shots on a hunt then even an Ultra-5 qualifies given it's right around 130 db at shooter's ear for a 6.5CM as an example. I'm genuinely curious because I own TBAC Ultra 5/7/9, 22-TD, and 338 Ultra. I can tell you from actual experience a 5 is fine for 1-2 shots on a hunt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Again, I don't even know what you mean by hearing safe. What decibel number does that translate to at shooter's ear and for how many shots? And if you're talking about 1-2 shots on a hunt then even an Ultra-5 qualifies given it's right around 130 db at shooter's ear for a 6.5CM as an example. I'm genuinely curious because I own TBAC Ultra 5/7/9, 22-TD, and 338 Ultra. I can tell you from actual experience a 5 is fine for 1-2 shots on a hunt.

The standard from OSHA is 140dBs for infrequent sounds- a couple of shots hunting. The TBAC Ultra 5 is above 140dB with a 308. If the Ultra 5 was free and was for a very, very niche use with a very small capacity cartridge… maybe. Paying a $200 stamp and using in general center fire cartridges? No.

Your ears not ringing is not a sign of hearing safe.

The standard from OSHA is 140dBs for infrequent sounds- a couple of shots hunting. The TBAC Ultra 5 is above 140dB with a 308. If the Ultra 5 was free and was for a very, very niche use with a very small capacity cartridge… maybe. Paying a $200 stamp and using in general center fire cartridges? No.

Your ears not ringing is not a sign of hearing safe.
I'm very aware of how hearing loss works. Thunderbeast's website and actual measurements on video show 133 dbs for a .308 at shooter's ear. Unless you're hunting with other people near the front of your barrel or have figured out how to fire your rifle with your ear a couple feet to the left/right of the muzzle (where your measurement number comes from since it's mil-spec), then what you are saying has no basis in reality.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm very aware of how hearing loss works. Thunderbeast's website and actual measurements on video show 133 dbs for a .308 at shooter's ear. Unless you're hunting with other people near the front of your barrel or have figured out how to fire your rifle with your ear a couple feet to the left/right of the muzzle (where your measurement number comes from since it's mil-spec), then what you are saying has no basis in reality.

Ok.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Quite a few suppressors are impact hearing safe on most rifles.

I’m not sure why anyone buys cans that aren’t “hearing safe” I put hearing safe in quotes because as people started diving into, it’s more complicated then a simple decibel reading. It’s a logarithmic scale, exponentially more power, exposure time, different frequencies, yadda yadda yadda.

For reference, I only shoot mild cartridges suppressed. The only time I’d step up to a magnum is for long range target shooting not hunting. I don’t have any game requiring a magnum near me. If I’m shooting a designated target gun then I’ll more than likely suppress it and weigh it down a lot. It’s just my hunting guns that are light weight and need a brake to help with recoil.

Anything above a .308 win I brake because I’m super recoil sensitive and get better recoil management with the brake. I would be willing to hunt with my braked .30-06 and my custom ear plugs if needed but wouldn’t want to take any follow up shots. If it’s a once in a lifetime or once a year deal I’ll live with ear plugs and have a better shot. My bigger concern is long term exposure to repeated loud noises than a couple shots once a year that loose some hearing.

Also, I wear custom ear plugs closer to 31DB and mid level muffs even when shooting suppressed. I really really like my hearing and used to shoot 2-3 times a week pre Covid. Shucks, I even wear my ear plugs when using my battery powered lawn mower because like stated above. My bigger concern is long term consistent exposure.