What is your favorite hunting dog and why ?

Lrt307

FNG
Brittany Spaniel. We have had Brittany Spaniels since I was a kid. Every one of them have been excellent dogs. Loyal, hunt hard and great around the family.

qwerksc

WKR
Dude....if this isn't some knock off, mish mash US backyard BS...THIS ^^^ is a Predator. Go You
Well, I’ll tell ya, he is no mish mash, he is a bad ass hunting, critter killin’, bird finding, straight up awesome dog. He is a sweet hearted pup, that would tear you up. When he was a puppy, I thought it was the closest thing you could have to a wild animal, he has just grown and matured into a great dog. He is good with other dogs, very playful, but when the truck stops and the collar goes on, he is on. He will hunt til he’s dead.
I had him in training for upland birds and the trainer would keep telling me, he’s got more drive than most, the kind you can’t put in em, they are just bred that way.
They are not for everyone, but I love him.
Still, they say 40% genetics,60% environment, get a good dog, let em do what they love.

Fun thread! Neat to see all the dogs!

+1 for appreciating working dog breeds. No matter the utility, gotta like the ones with smarts, power, stamina, and manners + sense to turn the switch off.

Miss my duck dogs.... (labs in black)
IMG_6836.jpg

Miss this guy a lot... (English Cocker)
DSC_0125.JPG

Current favorite cuz this is what I got... [+ she's a super exceptional dog!]
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.23.50 PM.png
The WPG was my wife's idea. [Long story.] Can't say enough about having a cool Griff now that I know better. [This one is having pups early summer. Have an ideal line breeding prospect in Idaho.] She's a superstar bird finder with brains, style, and bottom. Also a top-notch frisbee, truck & boat dog... + a capable coffee drinker and yard boss.

Last, just working her day job...
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.47.26 AM.png

American Brittany for me. Hard wired to hunt from the factory. Very intelligent and makes for a great all-around family dog. Great size for traveling with as well.

JoeBada

FNG
Field lab. They are the #1 working dog in the world for a reason. Highly trainable with an intense drive that they can leave at the office when it's time to relax at home.

I have a friend with a grouse camp that he's been hunting out of for 40 years. He's owned and hunted over more gun dogs than anyone I know. He told me he's never seen a dog with drive like mine. We hunted with a couple of his buddies last fall who had professionally trained springers. My dog out flushed them about 10 to 1. All three were young, fit dogs. When we got back to camp that evening, the two springers went right to sleep,.while my lab made me throw a stick into the 45° lake about a dozen times as far as I could.
The only thing he loves more than upland hunting, duck hunting, retrieving, tracking deer, and finding shed antlers is me. When I get home from work, greetings can last for 10 straight minutes. If I'm gone on a hunt for week+, they last about 1/2 hour. The sun rises and sets with me. A lot of people talk about "man's best friend..." but he actually is my best friend. Will never own a different breed or bloodline if i can avoid it.

Well, I’ll tell ya, he is no mish mash, he is a bad ass hunting, critter killin’, bird finding, straight up awesome dog. He is a sweet hearted pup, that would tear you up. When he was a puppy, I thought it was the closest thing you could have to a wild animal, he has just grown and matured into a great dog. He is good with other dogs, very playful, but when the truck stops and the collar goes on, he is on. He will hunt til he’s dead.
I had him in training for upland birds and the trainer would keep telling me, he’s got more drive than most, the kind you can’t put in em, they are just bred that way.
They are not for everyone, but I love him.
Still, they say 40% genetics,60% environment, get a good dog, let em do what they love.
Looks like you're in California? What do you hunt with the Jagd? I've only seen them in person once...up in BC. Gun maker/bear guide had a pair. Geezus they were non stop digging ground squirrels while we BS'd. I own a Drahthaar and run in Draht circles......but Jagd is a whole nother level. WHere'd you get your pup?

blfelts

FNG
*********** BLUE LACY!!! **************

They're a relatively "new" breed, but their popularity is growing due to their phenomenal versatility. Look 'em up. They're gorgeous dogs! We use our dogs to recover anything that bleeds. We also used them to work cattle. Be careful though, they will kill your goats :( My uncle has one and put a doggie door in on his ranch house. His dog would bring in special treats to show him what he came up with in the night. Eek!

You can use them for a lot of things. A lot of people use them for hogs, birds, and/or coons. Some people use them for coyotes. But..... I absolutely love these dogs. They are super loyal, smart, but they do need a job! Not the greatest house pets.....

qwerksc

WKR
Looks like you're in California? What do you hunt with the Jagd? I've only seen them in person once...up in BC. Gun maker/bear guide had a pair. Geezus they were non stop digging ground squirrels while we BS'd. I own a Drahthaar and run in Draht circles......but Jagd is a whole nother level. WHere'd you get your pup?
I got him from Marge Coursen in Montana. He is 2.5 years old, and I've just been focusing on birds, lots of birds, he will hunt anything, but I met a guy and he told me to beat the birds into him for the first couple of years, imprint then more birds. He has no problem with getting anything with fur, he tears the critters up. Rats, coons, squirrel, rabbit, coyote...he wants to f em up.
You can switch gears at any point of the hunt, from Quail to rabbit etc. as long as he is hunting he is good.
He'd tear a hole through the floor to get something under the house, I just put him down the crawl space for couple of hours, every once in a while, keeps him busy.
He is very impressive after upland birds, he don't look the part, but he has the program down, bird finding machine, I've had people stop me and just trip out on him.
If he was any bigger, he would be almost to much, at 20lbs, you can still handle him, but, ya gotta be careful if you were trying to pull him off something he wants to get bad.
He is very persistent and persistence pays off.

qwerksc

WKR
This pheasant season we were beating up some brush and came up on a guy with 3 big DDs, he told me his dogs weren't very good with other dogs, my little jagd was up in the middle of those dogs and you could see all the dogs seemed to have respect for each other, like they all knew they were bad asses. funny thing was Benny put up a pheasant right where those dogs just came from, I was thinkin with all that dog power there couldn't be a bird left in that area.

gbflyer

WKR
New lab pup, 9 weeks old. Short stocky English kind. Well on his way to being pussified. I tell Mama he’s a gun dog but....

First one, GSP’s and Chesapeake in the past. So far so good. Smart and extremely easy going.

b1b8b1a38c1075990247ea129d449b95.jpg

I run an English pointer and German Shorthair on chukars here in Nevada. They are totally different dogs and together they are a sight to behold.

Okhotnik

WKR
Griff for the win! not the best upland or waterfowl but are very versatile

hF66DSL.jpg

fRKWRlB.jpg

1qrjZv9.jpg

OycxhmI.jpg

LKkpXVS.jpg

TlreekA.jpg

9eshdtN.jpg

Fun thread! Neat to see all the dogs!

+1 for appreciating working dog breeds. No matter the utility, gotta like the ones with smarts, power, stamina, and manners + sense to turn the switch off.

Miss my duck dogs.... (labs in black)
View attachment 151082

Miss this guy a lot... (English Cocker)
View attachment 151083

Current favorite cuz this is what I got... [+ she's a super exceptional dog!]
View attachment 151094
The WPG was my wife's idea. [Long story.] Can't say enough about having a cool Griff now that I know better. [This one is having pups early summer. Have an ideal line breeding prospect in Idaho.] She's a superstar bird finder with brains, style, and bottom. Also a top-notch frisbee, truck & boat dog... + a capable coffee drinker and yard boss.

Last, just working her day job...
View attachment 151104

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
New lab pup, 9 weeks old. Short stocky English kind. Well on his way to being pussified. I tell Mama he’s a gun dog but....

First one, GSP’s and Chesapeake in the past. So far so good. Smart and extremely easy going.

b1b8b1a38c1075990247ea129d449b95.jpg

I prefer pointers for upland birds, but the one Lab I had was the smartest, most obedient dog I've ever owned. And by a long way. I swear, it seemed I only had to tell her what I wanted one time and she had it.

Marble

WKR
My personal favorite hunting dog is the German Shorthaired Pointer. They are the most versatile breed in my opinion their style and grace are topped by none in my opinion. The only con I could ever complain about is the hyper fits of non stop energy. I operate a small kennel in Illinois and have a great success. I breed for results not $. The dog below is Rooster my male. Check out our facebook @spoonrivershorthairs

View attachment 149987

male. View attachment 149966

cView attachment 149964
Me too!! I am on my second and third shorthairs.

I have had so many people tell me they are "wild" or too nervous or unruly. I cannot tell you how many people have told me my dogs are the best behaved they have ever seen. I do not beleive this is because of their breed...

My dogs are dual purpose family/hunting dogs. But mostly around the house.

mcr-85

WKR
Im already on the hot seat for getting banned. I am the owner of a German bred and tested dog. Our system is very strict and hardness tests are not for the faint of heart. But dafug does the above BS prove? That your dogs will bark and bay a coyote in a trap? That's pretty Dahmer-ish. Shoot the fuggin thing or hit it with a bat. Pretty much the same as busting the antlers off a live buck.
Doesn't prove anything. Those coyotes get shot. I take a dog trapping with me to locate places to set and to locate coyotes in traps on drags. Also introducing dogs to coyotes in traps will help them come decoying season. Trapline dogs are a common thing and so are decoy dogs. I'm not here to "prove" anything to anyone. The conversation was about your favorite hunting dog and these are my dogs and what I do with them. If you don't like it don't look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk