What keeps you from LR competition shooting?

Whitey375

FNG
When I lived in the Rockies thought nothing of driving six+ hours one-way for a weekend, because that’s just how far apart stuff is. Now on the east coast almost everything I do is an hour or three apart, so 6+ is a bit of a stretch. My personal rule is if I spend more time in the car than doing whatever I drove there for, then it’s too far.
That's a good rule.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JGRaider

WKR
Personally, I'd rather be hunting something than driving hours to shoot targets.

khuber84

WKR
Personally, I'd rather be hunting something than driving hours to shoot targets.
I can agree, but there's what 3-6 weeks of a rifle season out west depends on state. But there are matches all year round in areas on non frigid winters. I shot a match in January that was around -10 with wind chills. Not much fun, but still learning how your system runs with added clothing layers and in odd positions is a worthy bit of knowledge for late season hunts. The average hunter shoots maybe 40 rounds? Or less? In prep and through a hunting season. A typical one day match is 80-110. Lots of value in that. I personally feel more stress and pressure shooting on a clock with a squad watching than I do in a hunting scenarios killing animals. I used to get super excited getting an animal in the scope, now it's similar feeling to any other target, kinda stole some the excitement, but has really calmed me down. It has also greatly narrowed my range of 100% engagement range. I will not take more than a 500y shot on game unless I have some good wind data and can see a visual of the near terrain affecting the wind flow. Calm conditions that range goes up quite a bit, but chances are, a guy can get closer if he's patient and terrain allows it.

Macintosh

WKR
That is a perfectly valid reason not to shoot matches, if you have the opportunity to hunt instead of shoot the match. Unfortunately for many of us hunting season makes up 1/4-1/3 or less of the year. But during hunting season, I don’t shoot matches either!

I will piggyback on it that a number of people, including myself, have found that some matches that are two days are more difficult to participate in. One of the reasons for that is a variation on this^^, I also have obligations at home and other activities I enjoy such as fishing, and a two day match makes it much more difficult to fit everything into my available time. My local one-day matches I can still go fishing in the evening, and still have a full day on a weekend to spend time with the wife working on the house or property.

Edit: I am far more likely to shoot a match on a frigid winter day than I am to shoot one during the fall or when the smallies are biting.

Last edited:
OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
2024 NRL schedule is up. Got a few new matches on there and 2 in Canada.
114d3cc17c960929d265aeb0fa7ca337.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Cost and time commitments. Any shooting sport is expensive. PRS is very expensive. Maybe if I win the powerball...

Whitey375

FNG
2024 NRL schedule is up. Got a few new matches on there and 2 in Canada.
114d3cc17c960929d265aeb0fa7ca337.jpg

Case in point, there's one match within 8 hours. Oregon sucks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Damn
Brownfield is still 7 hours for me and clovis is 8.5 or so.
Althought Claytons range is nice I got to shoot on it when I picked up a gun from him last year.

parshal

WKR
Those are opposite for me with Brownsfield being 8.5 and Clovis 7 hours. I'll be going to one or both of those.

Lawnboi

WKR
Dang rough schedule for me. Closest match is the finale, and I’m not sure I can shoot enough to make that one.

ND match and MO match are options for me.

We will see when I get my next years crew assignment.

As much as I’d like to go all in and shoot a bunch, it’s not an option for our family.

WI and MN really get the shaft when it comes to matches.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Time…. Working 48 hrs a week, watching my daughter on my days off, and having responsibilities around the house, so my wife can run her business has really cut into my play time haha. Heck I’m fortunate to get my 2 big game hunts a year now. Quite the change from hunting 100ish days a year to about 12… but when the kiddo is older I’ll get some back. Would love to participate more in shooting sports but it’s all about priorities, family, comes first now… I do hope one day we live on the family ranch and then I’ll be able to shoot from the porch to 1000 ish yards which will be awesome

For you guys that have shot some NRL hunter matches what's you take on vernal vs price UT for being better venue? Trying to decide which one to go to planning on doing 4 matches the other 3 are guaranteed just trying to pick a 4th

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
If they’re in the same place, generally, Vernal is open and Price is small canyons, ravines and trees.

In Price, generally, you’ll shoot from trees, across open ravines to trees on the other side.

In Vernal, generally, you’ll shoot from slightly elevated positions across open sage.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Dang rough schedule for me. Closest match is the finale, and I’m not sure I can shoot enough to make that one.

ND match and MO match are options for me.

We will see when I get my next years crew assignment.

As much as I’d like to go all in and shoot a bunch, it’s not an option for our family.

WI and MN really get the shaft when it comes to matches.
With Vortex being in Wisconsin, it would be cool if they could encourage a match director and range to hold one up there.