What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

whaack

WKR
I think the op understands supply snd demand. His question is “why the demand”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Jeeps I think get the Cult thing...as there are sooo many after market Go Fasters that a regular Dude can install himself. Lot of aftermarket Bling to continue to add until eternity.

The Tacoma???? I don't see nearly the same level of Accessorizing

Lowg08

WKR
I owned a 92 regular cab 22re motor. Two motors blown in 6 months just at highway speeds no abuse. First and last Toyota. I’m not paying what they want for one. Just ridiculously over priced.

What makes them special?

1. Produced under the Toyoda Production System. If you haven't heard of it, Google it. That's what sets them apart in terms of quality and longevity. Domestic companies can't compete with their philosophy and culture. It's the foundation for all of modern manufacturing engineering and management.
2. Aftermarket support. Maybe second to Jeep, maybe more stuff available in some ways.
3. The fact that there are still that many around in great shape.
4. They had by far the best offroad package a decade before anyone else tried to compete with it on a large scale.
5. Fantastic offroad performance. Only junk tires and cheap shocks (and dare I say poor driving?) would make it seem otherwise...

No, they aren't perfect. But I'd take a 100k mile Tacoma in good shape over a brand new domestic of any brand.
The last 170k miles I drove were in 1st gen Tacomas, and a lot of them were rougher miles than most vehicles will ever see in a lifetime. Very few issues and fantastic performance the entire time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Think I figured out the Why. What most call "Four Wheeling" or "Exploring" is now called "OVERLANDING" to the Flat Brim/Skinny Jean crowd. And Overlanding can only be accomplished in a Toyota vehicle.
It's been called overlanding since the early 1900s...it originated in Australia on horseback as a means for transcontinental trade/commerce.

And yes just like carhartt, PBR, and beards...the hipsters ruined that too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think the op understands supply snd demand. His question is “why the demand”?
I've owned my Toyota 4x4 for 32+ years. It has been flawless. It is still tight as a drum, no rattles, no squeaks, no leaks. It's a pleasure to drive every time I get behind the wheel and always puts a smile on my face. This truck has been beaten, driven hard, abused, and put away wet.........and it just keeps on doing what I bought it for. Some guy stopped at my house a couple years ago and asked if I was interested in selling it. I said "no". Then he offered me $5k, I said "no". So he offered me $10k for it and I said "get the heck off my porch, I wouldn't sell it to you $50k". After he left, my daughter asked me "Would you even take $50k for it if he offered that"? And I replied "Hmmm......I don't know, I'd have to really think about it.......but probably not". Money isn't everything.

That's just my experience with my Toyota. I'm sure there are many others that feel similarly. There are those that have Toyota trucks, and there are a bunch of folks that want these Toyota trucks. That keeps the demand high and prices high. Having the truck means more to me than having the money does. If the day comes when that changes, then I might sell it......for more money than it's worth to most.

Lowg08

WKR
This thread is starting to make me worry. I have a beard and wear a flat bill. I’m not a hipster. I just look like a pedophile without a beard and a flat bill one doesn’t get in the way of my bow string and I have a fat heat so it looks proportional.

JD619er

WKR
I was looking for a tacoma last year in a 600 mile radius from my home. Wound up driving myself crazy thinking about paying 15k for a 15 year old vehicle with 200k miles. The newest thing I had owned up to that point (30 years old with 3 kids) was a 99 cherokee. I wound up finding a 2005 tundra double cab. Original owner with all recalls done. Including the frame. 150k absolutely no rust and a matching topper for 7500$. Super happy with my choice as I have a little more capability. Still love the idea of the tacoma's but just can't believe the money people want for them.

I bought this one 5 years ago for $4000 after trying to get the origin owner to sell it for years. It had the 22re, straight front axle and a winch and would go almost anywhere. Sold it for $4500 a year later when money got tight in college and I kick myself for it everyday 5095DB6B-492B-4342-85B9-FC1E936703EE.jpeg

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
I guess maybe they don't teach basic economics in school anymore. So here it is. Low/reduced/stalled production of new vehicles due to all the craziness in the world, more drivers than ever, multiple vehicles per household, government throwing out money like free candy from a white van, Toyota has a cult following, Obamas Cash for Clunkers program taking a crap load of used vehicles out of the market....affecting us a decade(and some change) later.......LOTS OF DEMAND.....LITTLE SUPPLY EQUALS HIGH PRICES. Its not just Toyotas. Try buying a boat, snowmobile, ATV, or diesel pickup....same situation

Poser

WKR
Same boat. I’ve been watching the used Tacoma market around Durango and it’s mind blowing. I saw one with 300,000 miles listed for 10k.

Poser

WKR
Example:

50946105f053eba5408c08a14b302c13.jpg

fmyth

WKR
I fully can see they go WAY over book prices....but why? I have experience Rock Crawling. Tho I am not a Grease Monkey or Wrench Turner...I understand crawl ratios, lockers, etc. Just don't know WHY these trucks are pulling these prices. What am I missing?
The same reason a Rolex watch cost 100 times more than a Timex. Perceived value.

I drove my 99 4 runner from 05 when I bought it , until 2019 when I bought a new 4 runner. Oil changes , timing belt/water pump every 100k and tires is pretty much all I ever did to it. It has 310k and my Mom still drives it around town , she gets asked if she wants to sell it every time she goes out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
About a year ago I saw a 1995 Toyota SR5 Xtracab 4x4 for sale here in CO. It was mint.......only 93k miles and always garaged. $8500. I was ready to buy it........and then I saw those fateful words......."automatic transmission". I'm out.

Sold 2013 4runner with 165k and never had 1 problem. It was uncomfortable for tall people in my opinion but that's my only complaint.
Bought 2019 expedition max and it's been in the shop for warranty work 3 times and it has 28k miles.
(timing chain, coolant leak, ac issue) luckily all under warranty.

Makes me miss owning a Toyota. But hey, when the Ford isn't in the shop it sure is comfortable..

It's the best value jack of all trades/master of none truck you can find...and they last >300k with few problems. IMO, that's why.

And,as you've seen, it's resale value is part of the appeal as well. Try getting that forcac30 year old F150.
Prices being what they are, it’s hardly a value anymore