What portable heater for a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas

I used a Buddy Heater (9k BTU) last year for a late season hunt and it helped but not a lot. I am thinking of either getting the Big Buddy (18K BTU) or the FLEX (11K BTU). I figure more is better but not sure if I need it. Thoughts on that? Any other portable options that would work in this tent. I dont plan to run it all night but would like to warm it up in the morning and evening.

Pn8hall

WKR
We run the big buddy heater in a 9x12 Kodiak tent usually on a 40 lb tank and have used 20lb tanks as well. Gets crazy hot fast in there with freezing temps outside.

BLJ

WKR
@Pn8hall. Do you run the hose from the tank through the door? I'm assuming the tank isn't in the tent

Crazy me but I bought a cylinder stove for my 10x10 Kodiak. Have yet to burn it inside. Got stuck in a family tent with propane heater 2 years ago during a Colorado snowstorm and vowed to have something warmer and more room to hang out in. Maiden voyage for it this bow elk season. Will see if its toooo much.

Pn8hall

WKR
@Pn8hall. Do you run the hose from the tank through the door? I'm assuming the tank isn't in the tent
Correct. The tank sits outside and bought the longest hose I could find which is 15 ft I think. We have the 12x9 cabin tent with the big front awning. It also has a side door/window and that is where the hose comes into the tent.

OP
MuleyFever
I had not thought of just getting a tank top unit. My first thought was to put the tank outside.

The tree for a lantern sounds like a good idea too.

BLJ

WKR
Correct. The tank sits outside and bought the longest hose I could find which is 15 ft I think. We have the 12x9 cabin tent with the big front awning. It also has a side door/window and that is where the hose comes into the tent.
I assumed so. Thanks.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Chinese diesel heater here. Cheap, efficient, and like having a forced air furnace for your tent. We've been using them for a couple years now and so far, zero issues.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a wood stove and the big buddy. I camped in an area with an inversion layer bad enough that it smoked me out. Ran the big buddy from a bulk tank outside the tent. Worked like a charm. I also have a 5 dollar carbon monoxide detector for peace of mind.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Following...

I was always leery of a propane heater in a tent like that. Ice fishing I run a Lil Buddy in the clam ice shack, but never thought I'd trust it in a sleeping situation.

Anyone sleep with it on? Or are there other, "safer" ways to keep the tent warm throughout the night? Or do yall just turn it on right before bed to warm up/getting up in the morning? Obviously, a wood burning stove, but that requires getting up every few hrs. Any other ways to keep it warm thru the night?

Pn8hall

WKR
Makes me too nervous to sleep with it on even with a CO2 detector. Only use for an hour or so before bed and then in morning while getting ready. I let the sleeping bag do its job while sleeping.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Following...

I was always leery of a propane heater in a tent like that. Ice fishing I run a Lil Buddy in the clam ice shack, but never thought I'd trust it in a sleeping situation.

Anyone sleep with it on? Or are there other, "safer" ways to keep the tent warm throughout the night? Or do yall just turn it on right before bed to warm up/getting up in the morning? Obviously, a wood burning stove, but that requires getting up every few hrs. Any other ways to keep it warm thru the night?
Yes I use it to "warm-up" anytime. Great in the morning. As for all-night useage, it does create a beautiful big orange glow that literally light up the entire tent. So, for me it is too bright to sleep well.
Most importantly it QUICKLY warms the tent.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I've used a Buddy Heater (4k-9k model) in a 10x14 Kodiak tent for the last three late rifle hunts.

Warm air circulation was always a problem until I got this before last season's hunt. Makes a big difference in moving the warm air around in the tent and is silent and requires no batteries since it's heat powered.

I had to Dremel the base so it would slide into the top of the heater and fab a U shaped metal piece so it will rest securely on the top of the heater.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. I've used the BH the last three years and never had problem with excessive CO in the tent. I do have a CO detector for peace of mind.

Attachments

• TF.PNG
    TF.PNG
    280.2 KB · Views: 84
I use a big buddy heater in our Kodiak canvas. Works pretty good. Propane heat isn’t the same as wood heat. But it’s clean. I keep a bottle outside the tent and run a hose to it.

As far as CO concerns. I’ve never had or heard of an issue with the big buddy heaters. They are used by thousands of ice fishing people and construction people. Im
Sure you would hear about an issue with one if someone had an issue