What size and brand game bags?

Owenst7

WKR
I make my own about 14"x30". I've found that size to work well for two cylinders side-by-side in my backpack at about 60 lbs each when totally full. I can squeeze a bone-in mulie quarter in there(sometimes requires a bit of trimming on rears), and boned elk quarters fit easily, even with the shanks bone in (I save them for osso bucco).

I'm tired of buying gear that's made in Mexico or China. Mine use US made cord and US made fabric, and are made in Reno.

Last edited:

Mark

WKR
We use the Tag BOMB bags. They (three sets) have hauled seven antelope, four elk and five mule deer. The majority of the meat was deboned, but we have hauled quarters if the situation allowed for that. They all have a few stains, some have a couple of small holes, but overall they are still very much functional. I don't see having to replace them any time soon.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Are you guys able to fit a mule deer quarter in the tag bomb bag set? The size is 14x32. I can’t see a hind quarter fitting in that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Are you guys able to fit a mule deer quarter in the tag bomb bag set? The size is 14x32. I can’t see a hind quarter fitting in that?

Bomb stands for boned out meat bag. So when boned out, yes a quarter will fit. I can get an entire deer in 2 with room to spare.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Bomb stands for boned out meat bag. So when boned out, yes a quarter will fit. I can get an entire deer in 2 with room to spare.

Yes I know it stands for that just curious if it would fit a bone in quarter. Some of my hunts will be bone in and some de boned so would like to buy only one set

KHNC

WKR
Big ass ham size panty hose works great too. I have the Tag BOMB bags and i love them tho. Cant bring ANY deer or elk into NC unless is boned out from any state now. So , no choice but to do it.

jolemons

WKR
May fit but would be a PITA because they're not stretchy. Would require some maneuvering to get inside of bag. I'd go different route for quarters and do traditional cheesecloth type bag.
Yes I know it stands for that just curious if it would fit a bone in quarter. Some of my hunts will be bone in and some de boned so would like to buy only one set

Mark

WKR

Yes, I've done it. I've also put elk front quarters in them. They don't fit completely in the bag, but it works. You're going to have bone sticking out.

May fit but would be a PITA because they're not stretchy. Would require some maneuvering to get inside of bag. I'd go different route for quarters and do traditional cheesecloth type bag.

Or mix and match. You can buy tag bags individually. I know a couple of white tail hams will fit in the 24x44 with ease and much room to spare. Buy a couple of bigger bags for your back quarters and use the bombs for fronts and parts. Bigger bags work for slabs of ribs as well.

muddydogs

WKR
I just have to rant for a minute.

You would think the maker of these bags would have better descriptions and pictures of there bags on there web sites, this question comes up multiple times a year and the majority of whats posted as answers conflict from post to post. One guy saying they can get an elk quarter in A brand bag then another saying its a tight fit or the end of the leg is sticking out. If the manufactures of these bags would take some picks and post them on there web site with a description of whats in them it would help.

Last Spring I went to the Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City, while walking around I stopped by the BlackOvis booth to look at there game bags. One of there people came up and asked if I had any questions about there bags, I asked if the XL bag would cover the whole quarter and not leave any bone sticking out. The guy looked at me like I was an idiot and said well there is no sense in packing out the lower leg and it should be removed. I told him I thought when talking about a quarter most understood that the lower part of the leg was removed, he never answered my question. About a month later I ended up picking up a set of bags at there SLC store and have yet to try them on elk quarters but now I see on there web site that they reworked the bags and made them longer so they would cover the entire quarter. So did I get the longer bags or shorter bags?

The one pic BlackOvis does have on the web site shows the end of the deer leg sticking out of the bag, I don't want the end of the leg sticking out of the bag leaving an area for dirt or bugs to get in. So is this just for the pic or are there deer bags that short? A game bag should cover the entire quarter with enough material at the top so the drawstring can be cinched down tight then the material rolled over and tide to the bag with the draw string to close off the top hole and make it hard for bugs to crawl in.

About a month ago I was wanting smaller deer sized bags and after looking at all the web sites and wading through all the info and once again wondering why the manufactures just can't tell us whats what I ended up going the cheap route and picked up a set of Allen Backcountry Quarter bags which for $20 are very decent bags especially for deer sized game. One Allen bag will swallow 2 deer quarters with plenty of room for a 3rd and possibly a 4th. I just might have to try the bigger Allen bags for elk quarters, at $33 which is half the price of the Ovis bags I don't think I can go wrong and with the Allen bag measuring 50" long there should be plenty of material to tie to at the top of the bag for hanging. Heck the Allen bags are as wide as the Ovis bags are long.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OwenST, just so you are fully informed about TAG Bags (mexico sewn):

I buy everything you hold in your hands from the United States, including the white fabric, the orange mesh for stuff sacks, the white nylon cord, barrel locks, labels, and shipping boxes. The only thing that makes this a mexico product is the color of the hands which sew and stuff.

The US goods & materials are trucked over the border through AZ and returned after being sewn and packed in Mexico. So, i'd like you to think about that before you diss my product completely, especially online where your opinion matters.

If I could get US citizens to work for Mexico wages, which are reflective of Cost of Living...i'd gladly do it. Hell, i'll offer to pay you to sew all my bags if you'd work for the same dollar amount, but you won't.

You're sick of bags "made" over borders, well I'm just as tired of it brother. But we're a privileged society who should be thankful (not bitter) that cheaper resources exists elsewhere so we can think and believe what we can afford.

cnelk

WKR
I use mostly pillow cases.

And I dont care where they were made or who I offend.

Attachments

• game bags.jpg
    game bags.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 31