what spotting scope glass would you need to compliment swaro 10x42

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a big spotting scope user but its nice to have so i was looking at smaller scopes like the leupold 12-40x60. I went big on the swaro glass so the funds are too low for more high end stuff but just curios to what end i'd need to go to see farther and make it work. i apologize for this horrible description of what i'm trying to ask but hopefully you guys understand what I'm looking for! ha

Forest

WKR
My first real spotter was a vortex viper 80mm, pretty much hated it from the moment I got it. Finally saved up enough to go with with a meopta s2 and am much much happier. Long story short a spotter is definitely an item buy once cry once imo.....
If nothing else buy used, that'll roughly allow you to get one step above what your budget allows for new.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Kurts86

WKR
I run Swarovski 10’s and 15’s power binoculars and have found anything less than a high end Kowa or Swarovski spotting scope to not add optical value and capability. I ran a Vortex Razor 65mm spotter for 2 years alongside Swarovski binoculars and found it rarely useful and pretty limiting even with a 4 digit price tag.

Buying anything less than top end spotting scopes is wasted money once you have the baseline of alpha glass binoculars used from a tripod.

JGTWI

WKR
I purchased one of the Leupold gold ring scopes on here and have subsequently listed it for sale in the classifieds.

It’s a nice scope for the money, just isn’t good for me. I definitely prefer an angled scope but thought I’d try out a straight. I also don’t care for the eye relief, but that’s not too big a deal if I liked the scope otherwise. I think it’s a good value as a used scope; there might be better options out there for new retail prices.

nphunter

WKR
I've read great things about the Athlon 65mm, IMO the Razor 65mm does pair well with any pair of 10's. It really depends on what your intent is for the spotter, judging animals a spotter is great, the Vortex Razor Gen 1 is a good piece of glass that can be found for $600, I've read the Athlon Ares is better but don't know from experience. I personally wouldn't waste money on anything less that the Athlon or used Razor.

You won't be able to find near the animals with any pair of 10's on the planet as you will with a decent spotter if you're looking far enough out, I use 10's, 15's and a Spotter and it is amazing what magnification can do when looking for something.

My first day using my 15's I found about a half dozen sheds I've been overlooking for several years with my 10's, I then switched back to my 10's and couldn't find them even after knowing where they are at. Same with my 15's and spotter, there are just some things too far out for 15X, I have found sheds and animals with my spotter and pulled up the 15's and can't find them or can barely make them out even after knowing they are there.

I am running Vortex Razor 10's (Japan Model), Meopta Meostar 15's and a Meopta S2 spotter.

Did a bunch of side-by-side comparison of top end spotters prior to buying - Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa, Meopta, Nikon, Vortex. Found top end Swaro, Kowa and Meopta all very close in overall optical quality. However there was a massive difference in price - got a great deal from Cameraland and bought the complete Meopta MeoStar S2 kit for about 65% the price of the Kowa 883 and less than half of the price of an ATX. I use the MeoStar quite a bit and am still thrilled with it - incredible optics, build quality and value.

Another vote for meopta S2, found a great deal on one at a fraction of the comparable alpha spotters. Great complement to my swaro 10x42s.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
I agree with the others, I love my S2 spotter, just depends on what you consider low funds? There is a S2 (cabelas instinct) on eBay for $1700, that’s a great deal on an awesome spotter but still almost 2K.

Kowa 883 and Zeiss SF 8x42 is what I use. I wasn’t a big spotter guy until I bought a good one, now it never leaves my pack. I say to save up and buy an alpha spotter to compliment your alpha binos.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I run Swaro Pure 10x42 and Kowa 553 spotter. Small enough spotter that it doesn’t take up a ton of space and additional weight, and I always carry it. Lots of friends with bigger spotters always ask “should I bring this?” Most of the time the bigger spotter is left in their truck. Mine comes with me and lives in my pack always.

Will be adding a Meopta 15x56 at some point to complete the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Get a tripod, as mentioned, and look into getting a lens doubler from Swaro as well.

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
I would just caution that if you are a swaro guy and think you may elevate to that level eventually on your spotter don't waste your money on a lower level one. You'll just end up selling it later and losing money. Or at least buy used so you don't take as much as a hit if you sell.

I'm not a big spotting scope user but its nice to have so i was looking at smaller scopes like the leupold 12-40x60. I went big on the swaro glass so the funds are too low for more high end stuff but just curios to what end i'd need to go to see farther and make it work. i apologize for this horrible description of what i'm trying to ask but hopefully you guys understand what I'm looking for! ha
I understand completely where you are coming from. I was in same spot last year. Upgraded my 10s to Swaros and my 15s to Meoptas. Then my viper hd 80mm spotter just didn’t seem to cut it.

I’m not gonna try to tell you razor HD 85 is the best scope out there but I will say that it was a giant step up from the vipers and contrary to what everyone else is saying switching from the 15s to the spotter even though the glass might not be as high end is absolutely worth it sometimes when deciding if it’s worth the hike.

That Razor is a good scope and you can find Gen 1’s cheap if you are patient. I bought a 50mm for $450 and the 85 for $700 last summer. The 50mm and the 15x binos are redundant and I’ll be selling the 50mm. Buy what you can afford but don’t think you have to buy an Ats to have a solid system.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I decided not to spend alpha money on a spotter that I wouldn't use nearly as often as my binos so I picked up a gently used Razor 65 and thus far it has been great. Is it Swaro quality? Well no , but considering I paid 1/3 of Swaro price and got 85-90% of the view out (my estimate, ymmv), and I'm able to detect a trophy from a tree branch from a half mile out so it seems I got exactly what I was searching for.
I may still pick up an ATS at some point to do a more comprehensive side by side just for shits and giggles. Waiting for a deal to pop up here.

Nikon just had their refurbished Monarch 60 ED's for 20% off. $783 tyd. Killer scope for killer price. They sold out quick. Just about got one but I liked the warranty and ruggedness of the Razor better.