What's the deal with everyone using suppresors?

I honestly want to know. I don't get the need for one on a rifle. I've noticed on SM that a lot of these guys are using one and have seen pictures of people using them on here. I just don't get the need for one. Can someone fill me in? Is there some unknown advantage (other than obviously being more quiet) that I'm missing? Or are people just using them to look cool?
Reduce recoil and noise, easier to shoot well, ear pro is less critical (especially vs brakes) no concussive blast like a brake, easier to spot your own shot, the only cons are time/cost to get one, and additional profile and weight, but in almost all situations, it’s worth chopping a barrel for that compromise.

It’s like shooting a loud bow with a crappy draw cycle and lots of hand shock vs a light draw, smooth draw, whisper quiet bow with zero hand shock… benefits to shooting and a more pleasant shooting experience

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
As with all things firearms related, it's best to model France.
Belgium maybe? They speak French, my Belgian Brownings aren't going anywhere except to my kids.

Enjoy your freedom fries while you parrot other nonsense about place you'll never go and people you'll never meet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I’m also in the crowd of not using a suppressor. Sure it would be nice but holy hell this stuff is getting expensive! Cost of the rifle+scope+rings/bases+bipod+ammo=$$$$. Now add a suppressor. Sorry, I’m not spending that kind of money on a rifle that might be used a couple of times a year. That’s if me or my kids draw a tag and if we get a chance to kill something. I’ll keep shooting mid level rifles with decent scopes and good ammo using a break. I also shoot smaller calibers as well. My largest rifle is a 270 WSM with a break. My 12 yr old boy shoots it just fine and is begging me for a rifle of his own. I told him he will get his own when he is around 16. Until then, he can shoot
mine or I’ll get another smaller caliber rifle to share between him and his sisters.

robtattoo

WKR
As with all things firearms related, it's best to model France.

Hahahahaaa! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As one of the Forum's token Europeans, that made me about spit my dip!
The ONLY things Europe has that makes for sense than the US is their drinking age & age you can get a driver's license.

That's literally it.

Have you ever set foot on the continent?? It's a shithole of a place, these days!

tom338

FNG
So I have been toying with the idea of getting a suppressor. But I wanted to get it mostly for recoil reduction with the benefit of being quiet. I do not see anybody claiming their suppressor gets much recoil reduction. I want this for my wife. I have tried a couple muzzle brakes...sure work on the recoil reduction but sure don't care for the back blast of pressure. I even tried a Witt Machine SME----That was a waste of money!!!

So I have been toying with the idea of getting a suppressor. But I wanted to get it mostly for recoil reduction with the benefit of being quiet. I do not see anybody claiming their suppressor gets much recoil reduction. I want this for my wife. I have tried a couple muzzle brakes...sure work on the recoil reduction but sure don't care for the back blast of pressure. I even tried a Witt Machine SME----That was a waste of money!!!
They help, not quite as much as a brake but it’s still there. They also help WAY more with the flinch inducing concussion.

How much better they are probably depends on what any given person is flinching from. Personally, the concussion is a big part of it for me so a can almost feels like it is more effective for recoil reduction

Biggest thing I’ve noticed is removing the shock wave from the shot. Much more comfortable to shoot. It cuts recoil. Animals react markedly different, harder to place where the shot came from.

X2
Regardless of ammunition type and application always better to shoot suppressed

#endthread

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
i personal just wear good ear protection and have a good brake on my rifles for the recoil. The $700-1000 for a can on the end of my gun to quieten it down mean $700-1000 I don’t get to spend on another gun.

I’ve been using a suppressor the past two years to hunt and it has provided me with the ability to not worry about having hearing protection and listen to the forest better. I also like it when shooting short or long distances because the animals sometimes don’t react and I can potentially shoot two deer rather than just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
It depends on the suppressor or the brake. Suppressors reduce recoil differently just like brakes do, i.e., 5 port timed brakes reduce recoil differently than 2 port brakes do.

I went from a radial brake on a 7prc to a nomad lti and recoil was very similar. I couldn't tell if there was a difference. But I put an enticer sti on the same rifle and recoil was noticeably more stout. Still fairly mellow, but I could tell a difference.

I won’t shoot without it besides handguns, has nothing to do with social media. Maybe it’s one of those “gotta see it to believe it”. Try it and report back.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I am a half in half out user, got a stamp and put it on my 22 CM, that rifle loves having one on it, the crack on the shot it gone and i can stay on target all the time. Spotting my own shots on game it irreplaceable in a quick situation.
When i get to larger calibers, i dont see the use as much, still need ear pro and still dont stay on target. I am in the process of getting a couple more cans on some pistols and carbines, looking forward to having these for quick shooting competitions and ease of using these guns on the range.

Robobiss

FNG
I’m also in the crowd of not using a suppressor. Sure it would be nice but holy hell this stuff is getting expensive! Cost of the rifle+scope+rings/bases+bipod+ammo=$$$$. Now add a suppressor. Sorry, I’m not spending that kind of money on a rifle that might be used a couple of times a year. That’s if me or my kids draw a tag and if we get a chance to kill something. I’ll keep shooting mid level rifles with decent scopes and good ammo using a break. I also shoot smaller calibers as well. My largest rifle is a 270 WSM with a break. My 12 yr old boy shoots it just fine and is begging me for a rifle of his own. I told him he will get his own when he is around 16. Until then, he can shoot
mine or I’ll get another smaller caliber rifle to share between him and his sisters.
I get what you are saying, but you don’t buy one can per gun, or anything like that (unless you are rich).

Buy a .30 cal can, and swap it back and forth between everything .30 cal and below that you feel like shooting. My $650 (with tax stamp) .30 cal can shuts-up and drastically improves my shooting experience for anything from a 300WM down to my .223 AR’s, and it does a great job with the little guns as well.

It isn’t something you buy and replace every couple of years. It is a lifetime investment and something to pass on. If you are a shooter, specifically a rifle shooter, and you don’t own one, you’re really missing out. Spread that $700-$1000 out over the next few decades, however many times per year you shoot and hunt and it is really not an expensive piece of equipment.

Many of us have no problem dropping $400 on a pair of boots that will keep us safe for a couple of years but can’t fathom spending twice the money on something that will keep you safe (and make you shoot better) for the rest of your life with little maintenance.

S.Clancy

WKR
I don't get it either. I have shot suppressed guns and obviously unsuppressed guns. About the only time I was glad I was shooting a suppressed gun is driving around in the truck and trying to shoot coyotes out of it, didn't have to worry as much about ear pro as I normally would. It's pretty unlikely that I will ever get a suppressor for a hunting rifle. I don't want the extra weight and the meager positives don't really outweigh the $$$ and the fact that I am on a govt list.

Now, if I road hunted more it would make more sense.

Robobiss

FNG
I got one last year, and am now 100% in the “won’t shoot without one” club. I am slowly threading every single rifle I own.

It drastically, drastically, improves my shooting experience. It knocks away a good chunk of recoil making spotting shots easier, and I’m not worried about shooting in a hunting situation without ear-pro anymore. I’ve taken many a quick shot with a .270 or similar in the thick shit and had my ears ring for a half hour after. That is no longer a concern.

To me, there are no negatives, only positives. If you are worried about weight, you now have a recoil mitigation device, shoot a lighter rifle. Or don’t, and take the extra weight (that protects your ears, and reduces recoil making you shoot better) as a blessing. Congrats your rifle is 1lb heavier, now it settles and shoots better, win.

No matter the situation, if 1lb on my gat-piece is all it takes to hold me back from success, that’s probably on me. If 1lb is the straw that breaks the camels back, I’m very likely failing hard somewhere else, probably the gym. Or I need to evaluate the weight/need of my other gear.

I won’t target shoot without it, so I won’t hunt without it. It would not be wise to shoot all year with a rifle in a certain configuration only to change it at the last second, re-zero, and go hunting. I like to hunt how I practice.

Stalker69

WKR
I shoot those too!
it’s cool that you feel the need to come Pound your chest about all those big guns you shoot without a break.
my goodness your so manly
The sling shot thing was a joke, hence the " lol" . And I ain't beating my chest, I shoot what I own and enjoy them.