What’s the one tip you wish you were given

fwafwow

WKR
I was told eventually that the best way to see more deer is to be in the stand/woods for longer. One practical application of this for me was (in part) to focus less on my binos, scope, new broadheads, etc. and to figure out what gear allowed me to sit longer, which ended up being clothing that kept me warmer or otherwise more comfortable.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I think the best advice is to know the land. Spend time scouting and know every inch. Not sure how many times I got spun around and without knowing area could have turned bad. If using GPS make sure you have a backup compass.

Other then that, when shooting deer with a bow make sure you wait 4x longer then you think you should 2-3hours or more depending on arrow and blood. This has caught me multiple times and makes tracking a pita if bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just enjoy it don’t overthink it. Don’t get hung up on what is on TV they are not hunting where you are and don’t worry about what everybody else is doing just enjoy your hunt

RHD86

FNG
Don't be afraid to change spots. And if the deer are rutting, they can be out anytime of the day.

Buy a great knife and a sharpener and learn how to use then. I suffered with crappy knives and sharpeners for years. I didnt even know what I was missing. When I first started out I used a couple of them $8 survivor type knives with the compass on the screw off handle. My graduation , even to a buck 110 was monumental. Sometimes I run into some of my old equipment in a box and I just laugh. But I had a heck of a good time learning back then. LMAO.

fatlander

WKR
Less is more. Don’t blow a spot up for a marginal wind in early October. Hunt bucks in November like you’re a rutting buck, hunt downwind of a downwind trail to a known for bedding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

WKR
With all the emphasis we see on hunting mature bucks, the tip I wish I would have got would be to simply learn how to kill deer with a bow before you learn how to hunt mature bucks. The time to learn how to bow kill an animal is not when you have a giant buck standing there in front of you. Just shoot deer, lots of deer, any legal deer, until you develop that killer instinct. I can't tell you how many big deer I messed up on because I learned how to get on big bucks before I knew how to actually kill them.
This is excellent advice. The only way you learn about your buck fever, shot angles, blood trailing, animal body language etc is by shooting deer. Buy a bunch of doe tags and shoot does. I screwed up on a few bucks and bulls because I didn't know how to hold it together in the moment of truth because I hadn't spent much time in that moment.

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Always be ready, hunt as much as you can, learn wind and thermals.

Rich M

WKR
Dan infalt is probably the best advice in here - the guy is very good at explaining stuff. His videos are informative and easy to watch.

Scout more than you hunt, and hunt when you find "hot sign".

Hunt the wind - you will not beat a whitetail's nose, so be on the downwind side of the trails.

Shoot the first couple legal deer you see - it will build confidence and with confidence will come more deer.

Best for last - hunt to have fun.